Thread: Skinner sights Ghost rings

Default Skinner sights Ghost rings

Does anyone have any interaction with "Skinner Sights"? I'm looking at maybe putting a set on my Marlin Guide Gun (40-70gvt). Any input would be great!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Hello - hope you like the Guide Gun. It's a great rifle in my book, and in 45-70 - what could be sweeter?

As for the Skinner sights: I have read about them and have seen pictures, as I'm sure you have, but I don't have 1st-hand knowledge about them.

I do have 1st hand knowledge with a similar, and I would guess, a superior sight - the Brockman Generation III. I recently put a set (front and rear) on my 45-70 Marlin XLR - it is EXCELLENT!! A bit pricey, but EXCELLENT!! It is a no-nonsense, exceptionally well made and machined sight set with protective wings and a front tritium dot.

You can see my post from a few days ago on this sight set. If you haven't considered Brockman, I would encourage you to do so.

Good luck

I liked the skinner sights I had on my 45-70.
    I want to get some for my .30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I liked the skinner sights I had on my 45-70.
    I want to get some for my .30-30.
    Did you get both front and rear? I spoke with the owner "skinner" who said that he just has the rear on his 45-70. Thanks also MD Mike I'll check out those brockman's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gshepherd View Post
    Did you get both front and rear? I spoke with the owner "skinner" who said that he just has the rear on his 45-70. Thanks also MD Mike I'll check out those brockman's!!
    I had front and rear.
    The front wasn't much different than what I had to begin with though.

These were my first peep sights it was much easier for me to aim and hit better than with the factory Marlin sights.

Thanks for the info Samwe! I'm not a fan of the factory sights either!

Question Over a scope mount?

Has anyone tried these with a scope mount in place, like one of the XS rails? Or the Wild West Guns mount?

Are the Skinners tall enough to see over the mount when the scope/rings are removed?

Default sights

I have put the skinner sights on my 1894 44mag. Have not shot it since I do really like the sights though. Seem very strong, with a good fit and finish. The front sight in a post style and can be had in dif. heights/widths. I would guess that they would clear a rail with scope/rings removed but am not sure. Anyone who is at either end of there elevation adjusment should go to a higher/lower front sight to put them back in the middle of there elevation adjustment.

CZ