Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Stocks

Default Rifle Stocks

I am considering buying an HS Precision Rifle stock to replace the factory stock on my Remington Model 700 BDL SS 338 Winchester Magnum. I have never owned or used them before. Anyone have any experience with the HS stocks or any opinions about their quality or durability, I read that they are a drop in design, would it be a good idea to have the barreled action bedded?
    Also if there are other aftermarket stocks that deserve mentioning or that you would like to recommend please do so.
    My favorite stock so far has been the McMillan Fiberglass, I own one so far and by the end of the month I will have two. Problem is I usually have to wait about 4 months before the stock work is completed, which I don't usually mind at all. Thankyou

Default MPI

http://www.mpistocks.com/ http://rifle-stocks.com/

I have had stocks from both of these companies, and enjoy them all. The most recent is the MPI stock that I got for a 300WM that I was building. It is a very good looking stock and one of the better ones that I have had. If a laminated is the way that you want to go you can try Richards Microfit Gunstocks they are a good company as well, I like there stocks. Good luck with it.

Whit

Default hs precision

I have a few rifles with the hs precision stock. Very high quality, durable, stiff (a must for maintaining accuracy), fairly easy to fit to barreled action. The internal aluminum skeleton provides both a platform for the action to bed to and provides the stiffness into the forend. Some, even though not absolute, bed the action anyway. The only unknown is the barrel contour. If barrel is a tad too large then pretty easy to sand out the channel. Good method is to use some fairly course grit sandpaper around the correct size deep well socket. Use the varying sizes in the socket set for the varying sizes needed for the tapering barrel contour. A little patience and elbow grease and not bad at all. The only down side to the hs precision is that the price tag is not high enough to require bragging and justification later on

Putting one on my new 257-300WBY when the smith returns it to me. Can't wait!! As George said, it is a must to maintain accuracy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have the HS on my 338 Ultra and it's great. Dropped right in and shot great w/out further modification. I also have a McMillan on a 700 .270 Win and it is also well worth the price. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I have never heard a complaint about any HS stocks. I keeping going back to McMillan stocks because the have worked out so vary well for me. For my own stuff I let them do the complete job, it's pretty hard to beat the guy that does the bedding day in and day out. Where I might bed a few rifles ( 4 to 6 times a year), the guys at McMillian do that many a day or more.

All three are good, HS, MPI and Richard Micro Fit. The Richards will take the greatest amount of work and is not a drop in by any stretch unless you buy their drop in version. I like the rigidity of the HS but it is a little heavier than the MPI. Good luck. J.

No one has mentioned the Hogue Overmolded stock. I put the full AL bed block on my Howa 338 barrelled action. I like the feel and grip of the stock and it seemed stiff enough.

However, I'll admit the gun doesn't shoot worth a darn. Not sure if it is the gun or if the stock needs bedding, but I haven't found a load for it yet. It is new so I am still working on it, but just figured I'd throw out another option.

Any other opinions on this stock?

Default Rimrock Stocks

Found another stock company on the internet, anyone heard about Borden Rimrock Stocks ?

That is Jim Borden's company, He is into benchrest as well as building highend hunting rifles. Anything you get from Jim will be top end!

I would check with them, I dimly remember that his stocks came from McMillian. But memory being what it is? Look at Jim's actions, he builds some nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Found another stock company on the internet, anyone heard about Borden Rimrock Stocks ?

Jim Borden bought Rimrock Stocks and moved them to PA. They are very good stocks and have the molded in camo. Very high quality but you'll likely have to send your barreled action to him for fitting. They are one of the very best stocks ever and extremely strong. But, yeah, you guessed it, not cheap.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Hogue stock

Ripper: I just had one out this afternoon, I don't normally shoot 10 round groups but today I did. With my 300 WM and 180 corelokts all 10 went into .9". For me, that is great!!! I am seriously tickeled. And a special thanks to the forum member who said 74 gr. RL 19 and 180 grain bullet; the load really works. J.

My experiences with HS and McMillan have been consistent with the feedback you have already received...they are both excellent stocks, and I had no trouble doing a drop-in installation with any of them. The HS tends to be a bit heavier (I have one on a 700 BDL and it is a shooter), and the stock narrows more than the McMillan at the pistol grip (which I like). You have a .338 WM so I doubt you'll mind the little bit extra weight. I did have to send one of my McMillan's back because of a manufacturing defect, but they were good to me. It's a long wait for the McMillan, but I think you can get an HS faster and they are less expensive. If I were in your shoes deciding between just these two options, I'd get the HS for the BDL.

My brother has a Ruger Mark II, 300 Win Mag, with the old style paddle stock and I want to get him a better stock. Has anyone done this and what do recommend? Thanks Doug

Default H-S Precision

I have 2 model 70's one in 300wm and one in 338wm I have put H-S Precision stocks on both and have bedded both, the 700 is a drop in you don't have to bed if you don't want to, they reccomend that you bed most everything else. I didn't like the standard Winchester flimsy molded stock, H-S is stiff and comfortable to shoot but it is heavier, I shot 20 rounds of 338 last night, but only 200 grainers. Another plus if you ever damage it they will fix no charge, last year a buddy took a chunk out of his, called H-S they fixed it, you can't even see where it was repaired. Mcmillan and H-s are both good qualtity but both also have military contracts, try Brownells or right out of the factory

Lightbulb

I beleive my R700 V.S. has an H.S. precision stock on it and it is o.k..

I prefer a Mcmillan stock and i think they are worth the wait. Or if you are looking to cut weight down then a Brown precison "pounder", which is kevlar.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by doug carlo View Post
    My brother has a Ruger Mark II, 300 Win Mag, with the old style paddle stock and I want to get him a better stock. Has anyone done this and what do recommend? Thanks Doug
    Doug,

The two stock brands mentioned above are of excellent quality and fit, but a little expensive, at least for me. In relation to stocks on a rifle such as the one your brother has, any of these two brands should work fine. Now, if your brother is not into fancy rifles and stocks, and treats his rifle much like a tool to hunt or gather meat, then a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded stock would also be fine. Hogue stocks are not as pretty as the ones mentioned by others in this forum, but are much better than the Ruger boat paddle stocks, with a thick and soft recoil pad that helps tame recoil. One is pillar bedded, and the other has a full aluminum bed. A full aluminum bed is a plus with any stock, even if you have to pay a little more for it. The pillar bedded one costs around $100.00, while the full aluminum bed one costs around $200.00.

Midway has H-S Precision stocks for Rem. and Win. long actions on sale for 259.99 + shipping sale started yesterday 10-2-07

Default Which stock

I have a Mark Bansners on my Mod. 70 .338 and I am very happy with it's 20 oz. weight. My old Mod. 70 .375 has a McMillan that seems to be of very good quality also, it is heavier then Bansners, but that is ok on the .375. I still like a nice wood stock the best.

I have a Pacific Precision stock (the company Jim Borden bought to make the Rimrock) and love it. Put it on my 338 Ruger and it groups everything I put in it under 1 inch. Even when the barrel gets hot enough to fry an egg it still shoots great groups. I'm sure the Rimrock stocks will do the same. Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast