Thread: Bow hunting Sitka deer on Kodiak Island

I live in Louisiana, but I am from Illinois

Default Bow hunting Sitka deer on Kodiak Island

myself and a friend are looking into bow hunting Sitka deer on Kodiak Island in 2008..............however, nethier one of us have hunted in Alaska before............we are thinking about doing it on our own???????? Does any one know of a good web site for such a trip........that would have the in's and out's for a do it your self hunt?

personally I think you've found the right board. There are quite a few folks who have hunted kodiak here, though I'm not sure how many bowhunted the island.

I haven't. I couldnt find a partner to go. Pretty sad.

This site has everything you need if you look throug the archieves and fill in the blanks by asking a few questions.

Good luck!

Default Kodiak Deer Hunt

Kodiak is a great place to hunt for deer- There are more deer on the south end of the island (brown bears too), but there are no evergreen trees, just junior willows, and lots of tall grass. Take top grade tents and extra tarps. If you bring a stove for heat, don't count on firewood; there isn't any. Diesel stoves are good.
    Also, plan on lots of rain......be ready for Noah's Flood. Choose fleece or wool over down, wet down doesn't work. Synthetic sleeping bags too....no down!!

Also, don't keep dead game near your camp- Face to face with a brown bear, your bow will come in last. Lots of guys pack a .44 when they're out hunting, and keep a magnum rifle or shotgun with slugs in camp.
    Kodiak bears are size LARGE, and they will tear a camp up!!

You can have a great hunt, just don't skimp on quality gear.

:}

Thumbs up

Thanks!

And hope you all have a great hunting season!

Definitely check the archives, especially in the regular hunting forum. I know Kodiak deer threads have come up there on several occasions. Good luck.

Default Great Bow hunt

Just wanted to pass on a few tips. My buddy and I did the bow hunt to Kodiak a few years ago and also came from outside of AK. I learned a lot from this website so search the archives for info. I would suggest to go the end of Oct through the beginning of Nov. The grass starts to lie down with frost and snow and improves the visibility. Also we didn't see a bear the entire trip but some other hunters in tents were getting harrassed and lost a few deer. We both were bow hunting but would alternate hunting days while the other carried a 338 magnum. The south part of the island is definitely best. If you don't want to tent it because of the bears, rain, wind you can look for hunts off of large boats or there are a few cabin rentals around. Quite a few people talked us out of staying in a tent but we did see a few people doing it. You need a good tent since we did have a storm with 60mph winds for a day and a half. Deer were plentiful and we did a lot of spot and stalk. Costs include fligh from Anchorage to Kodiak, flight out of kodiak to hunting area, and few hotel nights along the way. Definitely and affordable great hunt. Hope the info helps!

There is alot of good air services on the island.We use sea hawk air,Rolands knows his stuff,But I heard this is a bad year to go they had abad winter kill this year,I heard from them That deer hunting may not be to good the next couple years.But I hope you have good luck.Bowhunting is a blast there to,We have taken alot of deer out of pws too.

Kodiak might be the best place in Alaska, enjoy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Kingfisher

Kingfisher Air. Went with them last 2 yrs - brought home 8 deer between both trips. They are great, and very reasonable in prices. Probably the best priced on the Island.

Thanks for all the great in puts......... we should have a great hunt.........my friend has joined the sight now