Thread: Calling moose in close

Default Calling moose in close

As my last two threads have talked about, I am bow hunting moose and I am having good success calling them in but not so good at getting them close enough for my bow. I have had 3-4 good bulls in the 80 yard range but cannot get them any closer!! Any tricks you guys can help me with to get them to move those last couple of yards???

try finding a partner.

Use only ONE caller, the other remians silent. The silent person is the shooter, the caller remains behind the hunter, aways. Enough so that you can remain in contact, but far enough so that when a bull hangs up, the shooter should be in range.

If the area is thick enough that you wont be seen, walk away from your bull, calling, creating all kings of heck. Or do the opposite, move to him without calling after you've got him coming pretty good.

You're reversing nature for the most part, he expects to see something and he's not. Moose aren't so hang up shy as are turkeys or elk are, but they still will and this is what you're experiencing. They want you to come the rst of the way.

Try and make it easy for them to come to you, and don't get overly aggresive once you gottem coming. I generally tone my calling way way down. No sense in yelling at em

Thanks for the info Trad. I'll give it a try

In the last 2 weeks I have called in 3 bulls, 1 came within 10 yards and the other 20. I have found that the younger bulls are much easier to call in close but once the rut kicks in hard, the bigger bulls should come in a little easier. Using 2 people for calling works well but you can do it by yourself, just be very aware of your surroundings and listen, listen, listen as they can sneak in without you knowing it.