Thread: kodiak fishing videos from this summer

Default kodiak fishing videos from this summer

Hi, my name is Jack and I've been lurking on this site for over a year. Reading and learning about alaska and planning a fishing trip that I took this summer to Kodiak Island. I want to thank everyone for all your great posts and I want to thank Bernard Rosenberg for writing such a great book about Kodiak. His knowledge of the Island was helpful in every aspect of our vacation. I think my friends and I read the book from cover to cover at least 5 times before we ventured to the emrald isle.

We stayed in Chiniak, at the Kodiak Island Winery cottages about 45 minutes from town. The cottages were perfect, great views, total seclusion and they even had an old school smoker....and even though I'm more of a whiskey man the wine was good as well.

The fishing was excellent. We caught as many fish as our arms could handle. Pinks, reds, dollies, silvers, kings, halibut, rockfish, rainbow trout we caught um all and did it mainly fishing completely by ourselves without another human insight. Staying 45 minutes outside of town there were less crowds. I'm posting the videos we shot while visiting Kodiak, I hope you all enjoy them.

Kodiak is an amazing place, a throwback to a better time. The people are incredibly friendly, the fishing is unreal, the land is undisturbed, the weather is a bit wacky, but I guess you can't have it all. Otherwise everyone would live there. It was everything we could have hoped for in an alaskan vacation. Thanks again and heres the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-R0sD_hW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnWAc4rtA4

Nice videos. Love the belly dancer addition to the fishing!

A little belly dancin can go a loooong way : ) The videos can't really capture the positive enery Kodiak radiates, everyones friendly and most like to party. We went to a party at the fairgrounds on sat nite.... and everybody in the place had a ball. Sunday salmonberry wine fest was a blast....one of my buddies did a face plant after over serving himself. Kodiak is the ultimate road trip. I gotta figure a way to spend more time there.

Forgot 2 mention the band that played sat at the fairgrounds was called SPORTING A WOODY,,,,, they were tremendous. I highly recommend them. If you see they're playing out somewhere, they r definately worth checking out.

Default Dates?

Wow,
    Thanks for the videos!!!
    I'm going to Kodiak next summer for the first time. What are the dates that you guys were there?
    Thanks!

We were there from aug 1st thru the 8th. We picked that time because it was supposedly one of the best times to fish the ocean, plus you have the biggest overlap of runs, begining of pinks, early silvers, quite a few chums around and towards the end of the reds, but they were still running pretty good in 3 streams on the roadsystem. We caught every species. Also my buddy got his hunting license and we did a little deer hunting. Unfortunately we only saw a handful of does and a couple of foxes we couldn't get a shot on. Awesome place.

Next time we might go at the end of august, to catch more of the silver run, a little better deer hunting and everyone was telling us you can do real well halibut fishing from shore because they move in to feast on the dead pinks.

I can't wait to get back.

Default Video

Wasn't that a white Tundra in the video?

Strange question, but yes it was a white tundra.

You video taped yourselves kicking live fish back in to the river?

I don't know about Alaska, but in Washington, you'd get a nice well deserved citation/fine for doing that.

Man, I hate to see people abusing the supposed thing they love.

Is it so hard to show a little respect to the fish you are catching and releasing?

Ur right Parker.... I assure u all fish were released in good shape and swam away strong to future spawning grounds or to become bear food. I think after catching a billion pinks, our hands being chewed up, ect. the foot method came into play. In retrospect, probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but again all pinks were released to spawn another day.

I had no intention to offend anyone and I'll remove the video.