Thread: Eagle River MTN Biking

Default Eagle River MTN Biking

At the end or near the end of Hiland Road I know there is a hiking trail can a person bike from there? If the weather is decent I would like to get out for a different ride before putting things up for the year.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the trail you're referring to is closed to bikes, but I'm not 100% sure. A couple other ideas:

-Park at the Eagle River boat launch next to the Eagle River Lp. Road bridge. There is a trail that goes upriver about 3 miles to the mouth of South Fork. Nice trail, but likely to be muddy right now.

-Peters Creek (Bear Mountain Trailhead) - This is a really fun trail with lots of climbing and decent. A few large rocks in the trail, but certainly a good ride.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-24-2007 at 17:16. Reason: spelling

I'm also pretty sure the South Fork of Eagle River trailhead is closed to bikes.

We went for a family ride yesterday, threw the bikes in the truck and rode into Anchortown to hit the Cambell Creek trails.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the X-country ski trails at Chugiak High are open to mountain bikes.

Cross Country trails at CHS are fantastic, I'd ride my bike the 5 miles to school just to ride the best trails out there, the railroad track section, the appendix and bridge loop are the fastest most fun trails on the system but theres things to be said for junkyard and corral loop, oh the new sprint loop is great as well. Theres a nice bike trail out to an A frame in the eagle river valley off hiland but its full of bears, lots of bears... All trails in CSP in the Eagle River drainage are off limits, that being said my buddy can ride down baldy in 2 minutes! Its too bad that CSP thinks mountain bikes cause less damage than horses (?????) because all the trails would b sweet to ride especially the ERNC trails, as it turns out its a $1000 fine to ride there... Theres tons of trails you just gotta explore, for example theres this powerline trail that is the sweetest 30 yards of single track in the whole area. Boy we used to rip it up on our mt bikes doing trials all over the place building descrete dirt jumps, hitting secrete downhill trails in the woods... If you could get two wheels down it we were riding it... Ahh the good old days before I got a drivers liscence
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

P.S. the trail up to the south fork has more grizzly activity than just about anywhere in Alaska, I know 4 people who have been bluff charged on that trail

Interesting about grizzle activity at South Fork. We've never seen grizzlies there, but have seen a couple by the nature center.

I'll have to take the kids to the X-c ski trails before the snow flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Interesting about grizzle activity at South Fork. We've never seen grizzlies there, but have seen a couple by the nature center.
    They are pretty spooky at the south fork actually (thank god) but when ever we go down there we see a ton of tracks, scat, wet trails as they run away from the river from us approaching. Its seriously spooky...