Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accelerated Flight Training

Wink Accelerated Flight Training

Well here it is and Summer has officially past. I started out at the beginning of the year with studying for my written in hopes of get my PPL by Summers end and due to work could not start any program being stuck in Ketchikan,Sitka and now Valdisease.( Been sick since I got here)
    Anyway I have decided to take an accelerated course most likely in Florida or Arizona this Winter.Looking at a 2 to 3 week course.
    Anyone have any suggestions on Who and Where? I am ready to take the written anytime now as I have worn my King course DVD's to death as well as my MSN 2004 flight sim, so I think I have a leg up on being completely ignorant and want to have this in my pocket so next year I can start logging some time.
    I googled a bunch as well as contacted a few from the classifieds in my Aopa mag.
    8 to 9K is a lot to send out without some recommendations.

Default sheble's

been there for other ratings but not ppl. recommend them highly.

Talking Hey Bob!

What do you mean 'stuck in Ketchikan'? LOL

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    been there for other ratings but not ppl. recommend them highly.
    Thanks much for the info as thats exactly what I was looking for as I checked out their site and have shot them an email for their schedule.
    3 to 4 K cheaper than everyone else I have contacted, Housing with a ride to the airport and training in a 172, Wow Thanks Much

Default also check...

flew into vegas, rented car, and kept rental car the whole time. Stay in one of their houses for sure. Cheaper than hotels and like brand new houses furnished. Everything is so freakin cheap there (but its apparant why pretty quick) you don't have to skimp.

I got my private at Shebles and I wouldn't recommend them for primary training. Too disorganized, little ground school. Their instructors are mostly gum-chewing, cell-phone-chatting, hung over, juvenile time-builders wishing they were anywhere else than in Kingman teaching you. Oh, and they have their own designated examiner on staff so he can sign off on the gaping holes in your training. I didn't realize what they didn't teach me until later. Just one man's opinion but you would benefit with a little more personal attention somewheres else, and use Shebles for a shorter course such as commercial. If you must.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I have had more than a couple folks who have completed or partially completed one of their ratings at a rating mill. (not naming names today..)
    For people who just want the rating without intending to actually fly (particularly in Alaska) I guess they may be ok.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Ill second that. I would never recommend "accelerated" flight training to anyone for a private. Remember, everything important you EVER learned you were taught in Kindergarten!

Smile My Only Choice

Unfortunately an accelerated course is my only option due to work. Next years schedule is Barrow, Wrangle and Petersburg and training options in these towns will be limited if any just like this year.
    I have emailed Shebles twice now with no reply. I have been talking with Tailwheels Etc http://www.tailwheelsetc.com/html/private_pilot.html
    They were quick in getting back with me, but at almost 9K for there program they do seem a bit more proffessional.
    The wife has also balked at AZ as we have a place in Lake Havasu and she wants to vacation in FLA being tired of the AZ area.I am looking at March so that I can be somewhat fresh when the flying picks back up in AK next year.
    I can work 3 weeks on with one off and the company picks up the tab for my ticket back and forth to Anchorage.
    This way I can get some further training in Anchorage/Valley in a different plane(172) but will have my ticket and be able to rent a plane to log some hours.

$9,000 is not a bad price if they are using tailwheel aircraft. ((Actually not bad for any aircraft these days...))
    The time required is more for a taildragger and the insurance is much higher for them.

Most folks take an average of 60 hours to obtain their private rating. The older you are, the longer it usually takes.
    At $150 per hour for 60 hours you come out at $9,000.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default in the same boat..

My little 22 yr. old brother just got his CFI in Minnesota. I work on the slope and am trying to fit some time in my schedule to bang out some hours with him. Link to the airport he's at CFI @ http://www.kcfe.org/BA_Training.htm
    Looks like it comes to $92/hr for instructor and and 152 ........cheapest I've seen...just need more time, maybe I'll have 2 wait for spring until for more sunlight and better weather in MN???????

Default Montana Bob?

Have you decided on what you are going to do?
    I am curious of the outcome and what you are going to decide?
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    Ill second that. I would never recommend "accelerated" flight training to anyone for a private.
    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    For people who just want the rating without intending to actually fly (particularly in Alaska) I guess they may be ok.

Thanks for sharing these perspectives, guys. I have a friend who is considering an out-of-state accelerated program. She is hoping to fly in Alaska after completing her license, and though I have warned her against such programs she remains convinced that she can figure out Alaska flying with the help of other friends.

I'll make sure she sees these posts.

Non-pilots simply don't understand how challenging (and deadly) Alaska flying can be. If you have a choice in where to do your training, there is simply no better place in the world to get certified than in Alaska. This is not a matter to be treated lightly, as the results of poor/incomplete training can be deadly. "Oh, don't worry about it! I'll be fine because of x, y, z" is what I hear. Yeesh. My life and those of my passengers are more valuable to me than that. Extra time, extra money, less convenience...whatever the cost, I'll bear it if that means I will be a safer, better trained, and more knowledgable pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for sharing these perspectives, guys. I have a friend who is considering an out-of-state accelerated program. She is hoping to fly in Alaska after completing her license, and though I have warned her against such programs she remains convinced that she can figure out Alaska flying with the help of other friends.

I'll make sure she sees these posts.

Non-pilots simply don't understand how challenging (and deadly) Alaska flying can be. If you have a choice in where to do your training, there is simply no better place in the world to get certified than in Alaska. This is not a matter to be treated lightly, as the results of poor/incomplete training can be deadly. "Oh, don't worry about it! I'll be fine because of x, y, z" is what I hear. Yeesh. My life and those of my passengers are more valuable to me than that. Extra time, extra money, less convenience...whatever the cost, I'll bear it if that means I will be a safer, better trained, and more knowledgable pilot.
    Maybe you should consider telling your friend exactly that. Be straight and forward with her, letting her know your concerns and then maybe making a suggestion on where she should consider receiving her flight training in Alaska.
    Lurker.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Have you decided on what you are going to do?
    I am curious of the outcome and what you are going to decide?
    I will be heading back to Anchorage in a week to 10 days and will be getting my medical. If that goes well, which it should I am looking at booking with Tailwheelsetc there in Florida for March. This is not however as the name suggests flying in a tailwheel to get my PPL.
    I am aware of the Alaska conditions and have no plans of just jotting around the state. I wish to just get some hours flying local and lower 48, then getting additional instuction on bush flying and such. Who knows? The flying season here from what I can see is short and alot of my time will be spent down south flying.
    If I had done this earlier in the year, this Winter I could be down in AZ putting in some time on my time off up here.
    I can see most frown on the Accelerated PPL training, but is the only thing that is going to work for me having more money than time.

I would re-think my entire position on what you want to do. I would find a pilot with a taildragger here in state with the appropriate rating to take you right through to your check ride, at the same time I would get into the weather program at the UofA. You say you don't have the time, short cuts to the grave?

Alaska is no place to fool around with, unless you have the time to get and stay current with an instrument rating, your asking for trouble.

Most folks that fly here want to use a plane to hunt with, This time of year when the hunting is on , is the time of weather that gets most folks killed.

If you think that building hours after you get private will be cheaper so you can go out on your own, you won't learn squat unless you fly dual with an instructor pilot. So what have you really gained?

Taildragger pilots are always better pilots and you sure as heck ain't going to get to where you want to go on tri-cycle gear.

Default Give me a call Bob

Hey bob, this is shouldhunt(cable Splicer), I met you at one of the prestine ventures get together, when you get back in town drop me a line at shouldhunt@yahoo.com, My emails get pushed straight to my phone, thank's to Cell One. Just A joke, I know you are a contracter for GCI. I recently bought a champ and we can go do some flying in my little taildragger.

Terry

I'd add: Have you considered buying a plane, then hiring an instructor? If you have the bucks, that would probably be the best bet, imho, if you're planning to eventually get a plane anyway. You can pick up an Aeronca Chief or Champ to start with, for about a third the price of a Super Cub. I didn't have the bucks for a plane when I learned, but luckily, there was good choices then for learning in tailwheel airplanes in Anchorage (late 70's)

Good luck. Like Big Al said, get some instrument training and be careful out there!..Louis

Default Dont worry about instrument flying

Learn to fly a stick and rudder and stay out of the clouds, thats how you stay alive. If your in the clouds you cant look for a place to land. Icing in alaska is the biggest problem in IFR conditions. I insured my $28000 champ for 2500 dollars a year, I was going to my a super cub for $80000, but the insurance 6000 a year and that was more than the notes on the plane. Your not a big guy, buy a taylorcraft, J3 or champ and fly the wings off it. I know a real great instructor that work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off flying commercially that might me able to work something out with you. He teaches in a a J3 Cub, I got my tailwheel endorsement from him.

Terry

Default Sounds Good

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hey bob, this is shouldhunt(cable Splicer), I met you at one of the prestine ventures get together, when you get back in town drop me a line at shouldhunt@yahoo.com, My emails get pushed straight to my phone, thank's to Cell One. Just A joke, I know you are a contracter for GCI. I recently bought a champ and we can go do some flying in my little taildragger.

Terry
    Cool Will Do
    I'm in Valdez right now and will be going up to Anchorage in a week or so and then up to Nome till X-Mas and then back down to Fairbanks or the Bases. I only have a week in Anc but will shoot you an email for maybe a few cold ones.
    On the flying note I appriciate all the concern on flying in AK, However due to my time off and the weather up here, I doubt I will be flying here much.
    I have a place outside Missoula,Mt and another at Lake Havasu, AZ and will most likely spend the most time down there flying as the weather is a bit more predictable.
    As far as buying a plane I am looking. You could help me out if you would by buying my Montana home, as soon as it's sold I'll be looking.http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/2E2D9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast