Thread: new 50 hp recomendations?

Default new 50 hp recomendations?

I am looking for recomendations- suzuki, evinrude e-tech, honda, yamaha, merc. What is the best? Power, MPG, ect.

what do you think?

Evinrude E tec...for sure

Depends on which TV commerical you believe the most.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by rivrat View Post
    I am looking for recomendations- suzuki, evinrude e-tech, honda, yamaha, merc. What is the best? Power, MPG, ect.

what do you think?
    They all make quality outboards. I would go with the one that will give you the best service after the purchase.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Given that raw performance is about the same for all, I'd narrow my decision down to reliability and cost.

If you're looking for the most reliable, long-lasting outboard, buy a Honda. It'll cost you a bit more than the others, but they're tough to beat.

I haven't priced the 50hp outboards, but for the larger motors, I thought that locally, the Yamaha's had the best price/reliability ratio.

I'd also consider a Suzuki if the price was right. As far as Evinrude and Merc, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole unless the 50's were made by another manufacturer. Have yet to hear anything good about either.

Default Outboard motors never break, you just run out of spair parts

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    They all make quality outboards. I would go with the one that will give you the best service after the purchase.
    Choosing which outboard has more to do with the dealers in your area then the brand. Make sure the brand you buy has a dealer with a good parts department and service center.

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907) 248-2900

Default There is a best choice

In my opinion, there is a best choice.

The Honda 50 is not fuel injected. And it sits on the smallest engine, a 49.3 ci 3-cylinder.

The Suzuki 50 is fuel injected, but it's also a smaller 3-cylinder, at 49.7 ci.

The Evinrude ETEC 50 is a 2-cylinder, direct injected 2-stroke. It's not as smooth operating as a competitive 4-stroke, and it has a stratified idle strategy that causes quite a flat spot when transitioning to homogenous combustion at higher rpm (getting on step). You'll also have 2-stroke oil to deal with (under cowl).

The Mercury 50 utilizes Yamaha's 50 hp powerhead and other parts. It's basically the same outboard as Yamaha's 50.

The Yamaha 50 is fuel injected. It sits on the largest engine, a 60.8 ci 4-cylinder. Also available in a high-thrust model.

They are all good outboards. However I think you'll get the best bang for your buck with the Yamaha....fuel injection, 4 cylinders, bigger block, and bulletproof reliability and durability.

Default thanks guys

I have read and re-read and read again all your comments-

The yamaha 50 is really a de-tuned yamaha 60, so for the same weight engine, you might as well get the yammy 60.

Question

A friend of mine loves the Tohatsu (sp?) for small kicker motors. He says that they are the company who makes Nissan, Merc and many other kickers and he has me pretty close to talked into an 8 horse for my Hewescraft. Anybody know anything about Tohatsu?

The guides on teh Kenai River number in teh 100s and you really have to look hard to find something other than Yamaha motors.....they tell me that they get reliability and more go from the Yamaha....

A friend has a Baja fishing lodge and his captains fish 250 days a year....they tried E Tech but found them to be difficult to tune and dealer technicians are so-so down there.....they are using Honda because of dealer support but they are wanting Yamahas but there is no local dealer.......they find that the 4 stroke will last about twice as long as the two stroke....

I believe in Yamaha's and if it were my money I'd buy a Yamaha 60. Next choice would be the Honda 50, my cousin has had great luck with his and runs twins on his fishing boat and a single on his cruising/hunting boat.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!