Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into shed hunting like this?

Question Anyone into shed hunting like this?

wee doggie! I use'd to be this bad but I still enjoy collecting a nice speciman when I can.This fella I talked to from Idaho spent 8 days out there.Daniel

Default and yet more...

Enjoy.Daniel

I would be if I had a clue on where to go to find them. I have been up here 11 years now and covered a lot of ground hunting and kill my moose every year but I have only found 3 sheds total up here.

The guy who sells sheds down in Sterling has some impressive photos or some serious shed hunting, many like the above and some real killer trips. Interesting shop, stop in sometime when the Reds are not doing good, or after you limit some time you won't be disappointed on the interesting collection and photos.

Default That would be Tom Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    The guy who sells sheds down in Sterling ...
    That's Tom Cooper you're talking about! Is he still around? I heard he laid off carving a while back, but maybe not? Anybody know how he's doing?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Seriously how does one find that many sheds in 8 days? More like 8 years at the rate I find them! Heck even that would be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Seriously how does one find that many sheds in 8 days? More like 8 years at the rate I find them! Heck even that would be pushing it.
    How? You spot high densities of them from the air first than if it's economical and feasible you go pick them up. The going rate is 8-10$ a lb but usually lower when you have to sell large quanities. The shed antler business in alaska is much bigger than most people realize. The buyers are alaska carvers and carvers from Bali and Hong Kong. My guess is you are looking at between 500-700 lbs in those pictures. If you have a matched set of sheds you can get 15-20$ per lb for them from people who just want one set for personal display.
    Your chances of stumbling upon large quanities without knowledge gained from the air is slim. It is possible to find out the general area where herds of females are wintering over and gather good quantities by stumbling around. I know of areas with a lot of sheds but the cost of getting there, collecting them and the high cost of shipping them to anchorage would make it a money losing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    How? You spot high densities of them from the air first than if it's economical and feasible you go pick them up. The going rate is 8-10$ a lb but usually lower when you have to sell large quanities. The shed antler business in alaska is much bigger than most people realize. The buyers are alaska carvers and carvers from Bali and Hong Kong. My guess is you are looking at between 500-700 lbs in those pictures. If you have a matched set of sheds you can get 15-20$ per lb for them from people who just want one set for personal display.
    Your chances of stumbling upon large quanities without knowledge gained from the air is slim. It is possible to find out the general area where herds of females are wintering over and gather good quantities by stumbling around. I know of areas with a lot of sheds but the cost of getting there, collecting them and the high cost of shipping them to anchorage would make it a money losing situation.

Got a buddy who commercial fishes in Dillingham and on his free time (out there) spots and brings back monster (did I say monster) moose sheds with his super cub. '06 he recovered an in tact 75" they may have been a wolf/grizz kill. He lives in Eagle River and makes a living finding/selling sheds.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Got a buddy who commercial fishes in Dillingham and on his free time (out there) spots and brings back monster (did I say monster) moose sheds with his super cub. '06 he recovered an in tact 75" they may have been a wolf/grizz kill. He lives in Eagle River and makes a living finding/selling sheds.

tim
    Dillingham is a great area for sheds, I also know people from there in the shed business. I also know a lot of pilots in the shed collecting business, although I myself don't believe you can make a living in a super cub collecting sheds. Plane cost + maintence + avgas + time don't equal the limited amout of antler you can fit in a cub. I think they like flying and making dangerous landings and justify it by saying they are making some money

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    That's Tom Cooper you're talking about! Is he still around? I heard he laid off carving a while back, but maybe not? Anybody know how he's doing?

-Mike

Hey Mike,
    I believe Tom is still at it but has slowed down a bit due to arthritis in the hands. He's quite the guy!! I know his wife has struggled with some health issues which has them traveling to the lower 48 a bit.

I find sheds up here myself,but Im not out there like that looking for them.I do have a friend that walks miles and miles from here to Atigun in search of them.But this is my Caribou hunt last year up the Steese,which turned into a shed hunt

I should have stayed longer,as I spotted others and left them.Daniel

Found 2 more pics......these are from 05.

I wouldn't doubt that this was the result of an EBay buyout...

See also the Idaho plate.

hey soggy I even asked him what he was gonna do with them.sell em? and he said nah! Im gonna make my own chadalier and lamps.But you never know he probably will sell em on ebay.Daniel

No, selling them on ebay makes no sense IMO. I tried it and say so I sold 10 matched sets and quit forever. as soon as they see it's going to cost 70-150$ shipping they don't bid very high. Even when they bid $200 for a set plus shipping for a set I paid $80 for it's NOT WORTH IT. They don't fit in any cardboard boxes, YOU MUST CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN+ make protection for the tips. I averaged 5-6 hrs work to package and ship one set. Believe me it's a WASTE OF TIME selling full size boo antlers on ebay for a few bucks profit

well dws thats probably why I save mine .....Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    No, selling them on ebay makes no sense IMO. I tried it and say so I sold 10 matched sets and quit forever. as soon as they see it's going to cost 70-150$ shipping they don't bid very high. Even when they bid $200 for a set plus shipping for a set I paid $80 for it's NOT WORTH IT. They don't fit in any cardboard boxes, YOU MUST CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN+ make protection for the tips. I averaged 5-6 hrs work to package and ship one set. Believe me it's a WASTE OF TIME selling full size boo antlers on ebay for a few bucks profit
    But, a truck and trailor load fit into an Idaho pickup.

The buyer, in my observation wasn't paying for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that this was the result of an EBay buyout...

See also the Idaho plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    But, a truck and trailor load fit into an Idaho pickup.

The buyer, in my observation wasn't paying for shipping.
    Yes, you need an angle to make a profit on antlers. Like free or real cheap airline backshipping from places outside of anch. My friend has been trying for a couple years to buy and move 1500lbs of boo antler, for a price that makes sense, from an area outside of anch. It's been sitting on pallets waiting for the economics to make sense.

[/QUOTE] My friend has been trying for a couple years to buy and move 1500lbs of boo antler, for a price that makes sense, from an area outside of anch. It's been sitting on pallets waiting for the economics to make sense.[/QUOTE]

Thats a lot of antlers! You don't happen to have any pictures of those pallets do you?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

tim
    Strange suspicion thats Mr. Finch you are talking about. If it is, I've seen that rack he found and heard he got about 10K for it...I've sold about 700 dollars worth of antlers to him last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast