Thread: Hunting near Anchorage?

Thumbs up Hunting near Anchorage?

I live in Texas right now, but will be moving to Anchorage in January when i start work. I am an avid outdoorsman, but im not stupid enough to think that i have clue about what to expect in alaska. Most of my big game experience is with elk, hogs, whitetail, marlin, and tuna. I am so excited about the opportunity to move to the great state of alaska (even though i have never seen it before) that i am already begining to plan some hunting trips for when i get there.

I was wondering about the best places to hunt black bear and moose within for a few hours drive from Anchorage. I plan on doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting, so would you guys(and gals) suggest hunting stream beds or something of that nature to start off with? I was thinking that 14a and 14b might be a good place for a non-resident resident to start. Are there any other places you might suggest? Ive been doing my research on tags and regulations, but i need some first hand hunting knowledge on what strategies work for these animals and which places to hunt them. I know moose are typically hunted in the fall (correct?), but what about black bear? All responses are appreciated...... thanks

You can find moose all over near Anchorage. Actually you may find more in city limits then out.

google Anchorage moose

BTW those arenít my photos I just got them off google.

One time a moose stuck its head in our window and sniffed my mom as she held the video camera lol

I donít know a lot about hunting moose I just know Iíve seen a lot of them around there, especially in the city.

Aggie, hunting around anchorage can be very prosperous, but you really have to work at it. Alot of folks hunt around anchorage. I live in town but I drive 6 hours north to hunt. I've been shot at or scoped to many times to hunt around here.

Around the kenai, alot of blackies and decent moose. forget about brown bear (even with the draw permit, its still iffy on if the hunt will go through...politics). real good sheep and goats. caribou is available by draw but it is a hard trip via foot (folks have done it by mountain bike or hired horses).

take care
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Aggie, hunting around anchorage can be very prosperous, but you really have to work at it. Alot of folks hunt around anchorage. I live in town but I drive 6 hours north to hunt. I've been shot at or scoped to many times to hunt around here.

Around the kenai, alot of blackies and decent moose. forget about brown bear (even with the draw permit, its still iffy on if the hunt will go through...politics). real good sheep and goats. caribou is available by draw but it is a hard trip via foot (folks have done it by mountain bike or hired horses).

take care
    Joel

I did not realize there was bou down there. I am also planning a move to Anc and I am an avid Mountain biker so that may be a great option for me.
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes I have been on the AF&g page but that is the biggest fattest
    hunt reg and season booklet I have ever seen. All those seasons are absolutely amazing. If you put all the lower 48 together you still would not have the varity Alaska has to offer. AND THE FISHING"holy crap"!!!!
    I can't wait to change my zip code.