Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Scope for 460 Weatherby

  1. #1

    Default Scope for 460 Weatherby

    I have just purchased a new 460 weatherby mark V and was trying to figure out which scope is the best for my application. I typically hunt from from a stand with a rest. Most shots are 100 to 150 yards. The range of shots never excedes 250 yards. I was thinking about a leupold Vari XIII 2.5 x 8. With this rifle I am concerned about getting maximum eye relief. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Burris 1x Scout in the forward position. At those ranges all you need is a crosshair to tell you where to put the bullet. You don't need a variable.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  3. #3

    Default Scope

    Leupold 1-4, 1.5-5

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mountains of VA
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I suggest a rubber scope.

    The only 460 I ever fired recoiled so hard it slammed my face against the action.

  5. #5
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I have just purchased a new 460 weatherby mark V and was trying to figure out which scope is the best for my application. I typically hunt from from a stand with a rest. Most shots are 100 to 150 yards. The range of shots never excedes 250 yards. I was thinking about a leupold Vari XIII 2.5 x 8. With this rifle I am concerned about getting maximum eye relief. Any suggestions?
    Not trying to be a smart *****, but what are you hunting from a stand from 100-150 yards that would warrent a 460 weatherby?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  6. #6
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default ??????

    Kinda' wondering the same thing!

  7. #7

    Default

    You want to use a 460 to kill a deer, do it or a bear, do it or anything on this planet, do it!!!! They are fun to shoot and they kill anything they hit. I will not hesitate to use my .416 for even a white tail. Friend of mine in africa is a PH and he uses a .416WBY as his all around rifle and kills small game as well as large. No different than guys in the US using 45-70 with 300gr plus bullets killing dear, moose, bear or whatever. I will take a 300 yard shot with my .416 on anything I want to since my max shot without hold over is 370. In fact my .416 is shooting so good with the load I have for it that I am tempted to use it for everything this year. Over kill???? No way, dead is dead and I will damage less meat than my 300WBY will, just a bigger hole. I think it is cool when a man wants to use a Big Bore rifle to do most of his hunting. I get so tired of well that's to much rifle or that's not enough rifle. As many great hunters have said, you never have to much. I would put a 2.5-8x36mm VX-III on it and don't look back. You go have fun and drop some game. One thing for sure it will be a one shot kill and you can drop anything you want to drop, go have fun and just make sure you practice and place your shot well if it has any distance and the rest is history.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks Beartooth.

    I think that you understand where I am comming from. Where I hunt for moose there are quite a few brown bears. I really don't want to pass up on a shot at a nice bear because I feel that my rifle is inadequate. Sure I can hunt moose with my 270 winchester, 308 winchester, 30-06 or 7mm mag, but I don't really want too. I have succesfully hunted with a 375 H&H for the last 11 years and it is adequate for what I do, but I wanted to try something new. I chose a 460 Weatherby because It has reasonable ballistics for taking game out to 250 or 300 yards. If I am really concerned about being close to bears in the willows, I would rather take my 500 nitro express double rifle with open sites or 458 win mag with a 1x4 leupold. The 460 Weatherby fills a different nitch for me.

    Thanks for your input.

  9. #9
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Thanks Beartooth.

    I think that you understand where I am comming from. Where I hunt for moose there are quite a few brown bears. I really don't want to pass up on a shot at a nice bear because I feel that my rifle is inadequate. Sure I can hunt moose with my 270 winchester, 308 winchester, 30-06 or 7mm mag, but I don't really want too. I have succesfully hunted with a 375 H&H for the last 11 years and it is adequate for what I do, but I wanted to try something new. I chose a 460 Weatherby because It has reasonable ballistics for taking game out to 250 or 300 yards. If I am really concerned about being close to bears in the willows, I would rather take my 500 nitro express double rifle with open sites or 458 win mag with a 1x4 leupold. The 460 Weatherby fills a different nitch for me.

    Thanks for your input.
    Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't mean to be a smart *****. Well , maybe a little. It is hard to beat the leupold 1.5 - 5x VX-III with the German #4 reticle. Plenty of eye relief, at least for my 375 H&H, and very quick target acquisition.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Spoiled One - "It is hard to beat the leupold 1.5 - 5x VX-III with the German #4 reticle."
    X2, But I would go with the Leupold's Post and Duplex. On Leupold's German #4 reticle the large portion of the crosshairs are too close making it difficult to aim in dark or close conditions.

    Bustedknee - "The only 460 I ever fired recoiled so hard it slammed my face against the action."
    Same here, I shot one once from a bench, hopefully never again. I thought my shoulder was broken and I got a black eye from Weatherbys famous raised stock. Ever wonder why none, or very few, of the custom stocks are straight?

    Woody

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Thanks Beartooth.

    I think that you understand where I am comming from. Where I hunt for moose there are quite a few brown bears. I really don't want to pass up on a shot at a nice bear because I feel that my rifle is inadequate. Sure I can hunt moose with my 270 winchester, 308 winchester, 30-06 or 7mm mag, but I don't really want too. I have succesfully hunted with a 375 H&H for the last 11 years and it is adequate for what I do, but I wanted to try something new. I chose a 460 Weatherby because It has reasonable ballistics for taking game out to 250 or 300 yards. If I am really concerned about being close to bears in the willows, I would rather take my 500 nitro express double rifle with open sites or 458 win mag with a 1x4 leupold. The 460 Weatherby fills a different nitch for me.

    Thanks for your input.
    OK. Well, but stand hunting of T-Rex has been illegal for thousands of years.......let's see stand hunting and hunting over a baited field and using Nubian slave girls for bait have all been outlawed.


    Wow! You have a 500 N.E.?! Three inch? What brand?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wa Woody View Post

    Bustedknee - "The only 460 I ever fired recoiled so hard it slammed my face against the action."
    Same here, I shot one once from a bench, hopefully never again. I thought my shoulder was broken and I got a black eye from Weatherbys famous raised stock. Ever wonder why none, or very few, of the custom stocks are straight?

    Woody
    The famous Weatherby raised stock is not really described that way. The Weatherby stock actually reduces recoil and that is why the straight stock or classic stock is not on a Weatherby. You think you had an adventure at the bench with a .460 Weatherby, well try it with a classic stock and you will have and adventure that could lead to nitghtmares. Plus, with the Weatherby muzzle brake and stock design the .460 is a lot of fun to shoot. My .416WBY shooting a 350gr TSX at 2930fps on the average, with the muzzle brake and Weatherby stock has less felt recoil than a 375 H&H and a lot less felt recoil than a .458Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •