Thread: Favorite bullets, not cartridges.

Default Favorite bullets, not cartridges.

These days there seems to be more bullet designs available to hunters than in years past. Just curious what brand of bullets other hunters are using in their factory ammo or reloads. Please feel free to list custom and well as factory bullet designs.
    The bullet I usually go to when buying ammo is the Nosler Partition. Thanks

Been playing with Barnes and GS Custom; I don't like lead in anything I eat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Barnes TSX for big game, e.g., black & brown bear, moose, etc.

Kodiak bullets by Alaska Bullet Works.

I like the way they've held up in tests, and they did a dandy job on my Mt. Goat. They are also plenty accurate farther than I can shoot them.

Barnes TSX
    Swift A-Frame
    The old Fail-Safe bullet (Lubalox-coated)
    250-grain and heavier Partition

(I hear lots of good comments about Kodiak bullets, but haven't used them).

Default Bullet

This could also be posted in the favorite caliber Poll, but I will post it here.

I have hunted with a .338 WM since 1991. Although I have not shot any bears with it, I have taken many moose and caribou. Mostly with 250 grain Noslers. Last winter I decided to do something "off-beat", and had a Stainless BLR made into a .358 Norma Mag. with a 21" barrel. I also loaded up 250 grain Noslers and Swift A-Frames. On Sept. 5, I shot a forked horn moose at about 100 yards quartering towards me slightly to my right. I aimed for the high chest and touched off a 250 grain Swift. Moose went down. When butchering, I found that the bullet had passed through one of his right ribs, (bone), on to his left shoulder where the bullet then devastated the knob of the bone that the scapula connects to, then lodged against one of his left rib bones. (I would have taken pictures of the bone destruction, but as warm as it was, my main goal was to get the meat processed.) I weighed the bullet after I cleaned it up, and it weighed 238 grains. Thatís 95% weight retention. More so than any Nosler I have recovered. (I have recovered Noslers that had gone through both scapulas and lodged under the skin on the opposite side and the best I could get was about 68 to 75% weight retention.) Now I'm not saying it was the caliber, (although I am growing more fond of it every day), but I was more impressed with the bullet construction of the Swifts. I have no doubt that a .338 WM loaded with Swifts would have performed in the same manner.
    So, Nukalpiaq, to answer your question, I like Swift A-Frames.

Nosler Accubond and Partition
    Swift Aframe, Barnes tsx, Kodiak bonded, and Woodleigh weldcore have always preformed exactly like they were supposed to and I will take whatever one shoots best in any giving caliber in game appropriate weights. Lean towards the lighter bullet weights in the Barnes TSX.

If I could only choose one it would probably be the Partition. They just work.

Default Hornady Interlocks

Never had one fail on moose, bear, pigs or deer, so don't see any reason to change.
    Last edited by mauserboy; 09-23-2007 at 22:51. Reason: punctuation change

Swift A-Frames and Barnes TSX bullets are my favorites.

Default Hornady Interlocks

Amen on the Interlocks. There is a lot of premium bullet hype out there.

Swift A-Frames in my .338 WM. 225 grains for elk and 250 grains for moose. I've yet to have a Swift A-frame come apart on impact, no matter how close the range.

The old Failsafes in my 7-mag. 160 grains for mule deer. They are amazingly accurate in my Browning A-Bolt 7-mag.

Nosler Accubonds in my .280 Rem. 140 grains for white-tail deer. This Browning .280 won't shoot anything over 150 grains, but it really likes the 140 grain Accubonds.

The old Nosler Partition Golds in my .308 Win M88 lever gun. 150 grains for white-tail deer. I pack this gun for fun and when the shooting is planned to be close at hand. As is normal with .308 Win, this gun will shoot just about any .308 caliber bullet, but I felt the Partition Golds were a good compromise. Accurate, good weight retention, too bad they are no longer made.

Woody

Woodleigh, "WHY", because they were the first bullet I found that worked every time, never a failure on anything I've shot. The no hype bullet, built by a man that tests his product on the only test medium that counts, with me, "big game".

The reason why I have not tried any other bullet is because I went to many years having bullets failures. I'm not the guy that gives up on success. I know that makes my opinion not worth a darn!

For what it's worth, I buy as many as I can afford, I do not want to ever run out of these bullets!

Default Bullets

Hornady Interlocks for most stuff and Nosler Partition or Accubond have worked well for me.

In this order:
    Barnes XXX
    Nosler Partitions
    Swift A frames
    Woodleighs in my double rifle.

After cutting apart a Woodleigh and seeing how they are constructed I plan on trying more
    Tennessee

I find the best test for Woodleigh bullets is best found on the dinner table. Of course my trophy room plugs into the wall and the contents is vacuum packed.

Barnes TSX for all my main hunting rifles for coyote to the big ones.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I don't see a reason to use anything but Noslers unless I'm loading stuff just to send down range.
    Now what ?

Default Hornady Interbonds!!

Interbonds have worked perfectly for me.

md