Thread: Back in from brown bear float hunt

Default Back in from brown bear float hunt

Hi folks,

Well, I just returned from my brown bear hunt and I see that story time is in full session. So I have added our float hunt to my blog, and for those interested, you can READ IT HERE. Glad to see that everyone is back safe and sound! It's the front door of winter now, and the leaves are falling. The white stuff is creeping down the Chugach Mountains and it won't be long until it makes it to my yard out front.

So let's toss a log on the fire and swap stories until the kings run!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default That is too bad

about his surgery messing up his hunt time. Atleast he had a good head on his shoulders and still enjoyed what Alaska had to offer. Sounds like in your blog he is done hunting now? Well atleast he stayed positive and wasn't a grumpy old bastage. I too was hoping it was going to work out for him. But the more I read it didn't sound like it was going to happen. Atleast he seen bears and made back in one piece. We too always call that a success. I think it was nice of you to accept to guide the hunt so the man didn't have to cancel his last great adventure. Good blog and nice website you have there.

Mike
    I whish you had been in the area I was (I talked to you about it at Surveyors Exchange while picking up our phone). We had the tracks from a 9 bear (9 across the front pad track) up and down the gravel bar each night. I am glad that your hunter hada good trip. BTW where is you get the info that the rivers were flooding?

Drew

Default More info on brown bear hunt

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    about his surgery messing up his hunt time. Atleast he had a good head on his shoulders and still enjoyed what Alaska had to offer. Sounds like in your blog he is done hunting now? Well atleast he stayed positive and wasn't a grumpy old bastage. I too was hoping it was going to work out for him. But the more I read it didn't sound like it was going to happen. Atleast he seen bears and made back in one piece. We too always call that a success. I think it was nice of you to accept to guide the hunt so the man didn't have to cancel his last great adventure. Good blog and nice website you have there.
    Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.

You are correct in this being Jim's last big game hunt. His wife passed away about five years ago, and he has been on a hunting binge since then. Three back-to-back Africa hunts and now the big brown bear hunt. While I am pleased (and greatly honored) to have been a part of this with him, I am disappointed that we did not at least see a larger bear within range. He's a great guy, but he just was not able to do what it took to access the many bears we saw on the hunt.

He told me this was his "swan song" hunt. It nearly broke my heart to hear that. I know we all get to that place, but it made me sad to see a man at the end of his hunting career. I thought about this as I watched the salmon in the river, having accomplished their purpose, now gently finning in the current, waiting for the inevitable and posessing but a fraction of their former powerful strength.

Still, I hope I can take my last hunt with as much dignity and poise. It was a privilege to hunt with him.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default High water

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    ...BTW where is you get the info that the rivers were flooding?
    Drew,

I'm not sure what you are asking? A lot of rivers were really high the last two weeks because of the two storms that came through. It was that way where we were, and also on a couple of rivers where I had unguided hunters. One of my groups couldn't find a gravel bar to camp on except for one night of their hunt. They said whole trees were floating by them.

Or are you asking where to get information on high water? For that I would have a look at the Alaska Pacific River Forecast Center's website AT THIS LINK. Regrettably, the APRFC website is not always current, nor does it include every river. This is of course due to the remote nature of most of Alaska. Only a handful of rivers have gages on them, unlike other states. The reality is that this website, Outdoors Directory, is probably the best stop in getting up-to-date user reports.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Man, I am not looking forward to the day I have to hang up the gear. It put a lump in my throat to read that and I hope he is able to continue on his hunting in the lower 48.

Default great job

Sounds like you did all that you could to make things happen for him.. Like you said, success can't alway be measured by whats in the bag although it can be nice. I'm sure that you ended up doing alot of extra work and my hats off to you for accepting the hunt, not many would have taken on that challange. By the game sighted count I would have to say that it was still a great and memorable hunt for the two of you.