Thread: Invasive plant ads

Default Invasive plant ads

I heard a new ad on the radio today that is asking all hunters to wash their boots, 4-wheelers, and other gear to remove invasive species plant seeds before going into the field. The ad claims that invasive species are causing a reduction in the natural foods available to moose. They gave a website, but I couldn't remember the name and it didn't turn up on a Google search. There is an ADF&G page on this subject, but it looks to focus on invasive animals and aquatic plants.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/...e/invasive.php

The following site has a lot of info about invasive plants on the Kenai Pen.

http://www.homerswcd.org/invasives/invasivepg.htm

Just thought this might be worthy of posting in here. And any discussion it might generate...

Invasive species are quickly becoming the #1 cause of species extinction. I'm glad to see that Alaska is getting on this topic before too much damage is done. We already have some serious problems with purple loosestrife (sp?) and other noxious weeds, not to mention pike in southcentral. There are some good pocket-sized books that ADF&G has for free. It's a good idea to look through it, and if you see anything listed while in the field - pull it out!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I heard a new ad on the radio today that is asking all hunters to wash their boots, 4-wheelers, and other gear to remove invasive species plant seeds before going into the field........
    I wash all my stuff when returning from the field.

I wash it right into precious Palmer soil.

I'm assuming it's still "clean" when I go out into the precious Bush, but I could be wrong.

But am I doing Palmer any good?

......The ad claims that invasive species are causing a reduction in the natural foods available to moose.....
    Did they mention a "donation"?

That makes the difference to me. The BS spewers like to get paid.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Invasive species are quickly becoming the #1 cause of species extinction. I'm glad to see that Alaska is getting on this topic before too much damage is done. We already have some serious problems with purple loosestrife (sp?) and other noxious weeds, not to mention pike in southcentral......
    You mean that stuff we call "vetch"?

My lovely wife was telling me today that she has a plan to kill the stuff off here.

I didn't comment. No need.

Some folks will never learn...........