Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338?

Default 338?

For the last 20+ years my two main guns were custom remingtons in 270 and 300wm both w/ 2.5x8 Leupolds for deer and elk. Dang, I love both of these guns and feel guilty about buying a new gun. My wife and I will be moving to Alaska soon and I will be ordering a Remington AWR for bears and moose. 338 Win Mag or 338 RUM? or 375H&H/375RUM?

Default 338

The 338 win mag gets my vote. It will do what ask of it and as far as the UM's go you wind up spending alot more for ammo that what you need to and it can become a problem in finding it.

What was wrong with your .300 again?

Default Keep the 300

keep the 300 and grab some 220 grainers for the moose and griz. No reason to buy a new gun especially if you are accurate with that 300

Default Well a new gun is always nice but...

Personaly I carry a .338 win mag and shoot 250 gr. Nosler partitions but that wasn't until after I met the bear up close and personal while carrying a .308. Fortunatly it worked out well for both me and mama bear. I work with a lady whose husband is a guide up here and he took down a Bison a few years ago with a .300. So to repeat Soggy's question, what's wrong with your .300?

Default 338

Soggy Mountain
    My dad will be using the 300 when he comes up and my wife has agreed to buy me a new gun. See has looked at alot of posts that says you need a 338 for alaska and I had her convinced. She has saw your posts before and will give me a hard time that you question why I need a new gun. I never tought someone would come back with that question. Thanks for the intended help. My wife is great and will still buy me a gun, but she will give me a hard time each time I use it. I can hear her now, Soggy Mountain said all you need is the 300. We bought my dad his 300Weatherby years ago and I had a hard time convincing her it would be to much trouble for him to bring it to Alaska each year, even though we fly to Montana to hunt each year.

Randy

There is nothing wrong with your .300WM for hunting in Alaska. In fact, the .300WM is just as popular as the .338WM up here.

From a .338WM shooter and hunter.

Default 375 Hh

I vote for the 375 HH good to 300 yards and got less snap recoil than a 338 and more of a shove type of recoil. I love the 300 win mag too. My two favorite calibers for Alaska 30 and 375.

Take care,

calndux

guys your not catching on here..this man NEEDS a new gun for alaska..his wifes getting it for him!!! did someone miss this or am i just reading into it!?!? lol
    .338 is great and more versitale that any other gun you can buy, if you handload you can get your 338 to do things your 300 won't and do things a 375 will. have fun with it...i think you need a new 338 if it was me...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Brwnbr

Shouldn't you be sheep hunting????
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

lol probably...the wife comes home tomorrow and i've got two little boys so my sheep hunting consists of day trips, i was gonna head up today but i got to the mountiand and looked at all that wet devils club and went home...after 2 trips up in 3 days i'm feeling a little pooped. i wasn't really in the mood to make it 3 trips in 4 days, even though there was 30 something sheep up there staring at each other. i didn't see any that got me real excited though. Only could confirm about five of them as young rams...sucks not having a hunting buddy for those awful 4000 foot vertical devils club challenges.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Soggy Mountain
    My dad will be using the 300 when he comes up and my wife has agreed to buy me a new gun. See has looked at alot of posts that says you need a 338 for alaska and I had her convinced. She has saw your posts before and will give me a hard time that you question why I need a new gun. I never tought someone would come back with that question. Thanks for the intended help. My wife is great and will still buy me a gun, but she will give me a hard time each time I use it. I can hear her now, Soggy Mountain said all you need is the 300. We bought my dad his 300Weatherby years ago and I had a hard time convincing her it would be to much trouble for him to bring it to Alaska each year, even though we fly to Montana to hunt each year.

Randy
    Dear Mrs. Randy,

First and farmost I am not the God of Guns. There are so many people participating in this forum that have serious scientific experience with all of the weapons mentioned, plus 437 others, that I will relinquish my floor to THEM!

But, if my opinion counts, I'd say your husband NEEDS a .375.

His dad's rifle, in .300 Weatherby, will likely be left to him. Especially since you guys bought it.

That will leave your husband with a .270, a .300, a .300 Weatherby, and, a .375.

After that he will need a 12guage, .22, and...well, whatever else he can get from you through charm, wisdom, and a loving wink.

He does need a couple of more guns. That is obvious enough.

Sincerely,

Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Soggy Mountain

Randy
    Can't argue with that

------
    TXGUIDE: this poll will give you some ideas of the most popular cartridges in Alaska. The .300WM should have been a little higher in the scale, a little closer to the .338WM. Take a look and decide:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=14646

Default Hay Sogg

Would you mind adderessing the same letter to my mrs. After 3 full gun safes she is convincved that a garge sale is in order and I have tried everything, including a cruse, to change her mind.

Sincerely,
    Bigmnt

Default .338 Rum

Last week I took a bull (4X4 brow tines) off the Nelchina. Friend ranged shot with Leica Geovid range finder binoculars. Heart shot @ 314 yards. Remington Model 700 XCR w/ Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40. I'm very happy w/ this gun. Last year it was "Gun of the Year" in one of the shooting mags.

Default 300 Wm

Randy, have you thought about all the other toy's you will need in AK? Boat, ATV, Raft, canoe, RV etc, and if it needs to be a firearm, consider a side arm. Most hunters here never leave home without one. I have been using a 300 WM since 1974 here and never had the need for anything larger, although I do have a few. I also shoot a 280 Rem for the smaller critters, same weapon I used for white tail in south Texas.
    Welcome to Alaska. Ed

Default 2 Cents

When this question comes up from Newbe's or Oldbe's my opinion is if you only have one gun for AK - buy a 338 WM. Since I don't own one but have shot several over the years, I like'um. But for b's & m's I Shoot o'l 3 and Six Bits. Most of my AK harvests have been with a customized REM 600 Mohawk in 308. I just pulled it out of the gun safe today and admired it. The cheapest gun Remington ever made has been with me 27 years from Sheep hunting the Brooks to Bou's on the Chain and I quit counting how many Sitka's have been stuffed in a pack with this tool. Pick a good bullet and practice till our comfortable with your gun. Calibers don't mean much if you can't shoot straight.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

Default Edd

Edd

Yes I have been spending way too much time thinking about what toys we will need. My wife and I are coming up this spring to the Sportsman show and buying a cataraft while we are in town. We will be living in Anchorage this summer and I plan to start my search for a plane. I sold my 170 thinking I would upgrade and I already think I might regret that move.
    To answer your question, I have many more rifles and shotguns than I need, but have never owned a hand gun. Now that you mention it, for the first time in my life I think I will start looking at hand guns.

Thanks, Randy

Default Handgun

If you have plenty of rifles and shotguns and no handguns the choice is easy, handgun.
    I carry a 500 S&W, it is heavy and it has a lot of recoil. I would say the 460 is a better choice, I would much reather have one of them than the 500. You have more options with the 460, like you can shoot 460's, 454 or 45 colts with the same gun. You can shoot 45 colts at the range with less recoil and then put the 460's in when ;you are out and about, and it is a little easier on the pocket book when you go buy ammo. Don't get me wrong I really like my 500 but it is a hand full so hang on when you pull that trigger.

Thumbs up Rifle

The 300 Win Mag with good bullets 180/200 gr is plenty for most Alaska game, but the 338 Win gets my vote. With 225 TSX you can takle everything in Alaska. If you plan on sheep hunting a good lightweight 270/280/30-06 would be nice to have.
    Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast