Thread: Which One would you choose?

Default Which One would you choose?

For Alaskan big game other than bear, the 300 win mag or the 300WSM.
    I am getting ready to build a rifle and thought that I would get some input on these two cartridges,
    Thanks

I would go with the 300winny and I would also include the big bears with it. For a one gun battery, you cant go wrong.

It would be a tie with the 30-06 and the 338winny IMO.

Default I would choose 300 WSM

Although the 300 short is a few hundred FPS slower, I like the way it shoots alot better. Less recoil and about the same performance.

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    Although the 300 short is a few hundred FPS slower, I like the way it shoots alot better. Less recoil and about the same performance.
    A few hundred fps slower? Not likely.

I've owned both cartridges in the past in quite a few different rifles and you really can't go wrong with either one. There won't be no difference in performance on big game.

i'd go with the win, shot the shorts once both guns jammed, and ammo availibity...i'd stick with the win mag
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default ???

I have both right now. My WSM is a custom rifle, so I prefer it. I will know better after I test my 200 grain TSX loads in the WSM. I have the extended magazine box so I can seat the bullets out a bit further, so I'm hoping to duplicate 300 Win velocity in the WSM. I would also look at the .325 WSM. I do like the smoother feeding of the Win. though.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I prefer the .338WM, but if I had to choose from the .300WSM and the .300WM, I would pick the latter. The .300WM can shoot heavier bullets with much more authority than the WSM, and ammo for it is readily available just about anywhere in Alaska.

I took the 300 WSM with 200 gr TSX bullets at 2750 fps ( not a max load )..You get all the penetration one would need for game as big as moose. I'm using a Kimber Montana and it recoils alot less than my buddies 300 win.

If weight were not a consideration, I would go with the 300 Win....for a light weight, low recoil rifle I'd go with the Kimber Montana in 300 wsm....

.300 WM has been proven on all Alaskan big game in every circumstance.

I used a .300 in Weatherby flavor to take down this 10 footer.
    Dead with first shot.
    200gr Partitions.

I too will be buying a new rifle soon, and am considering the .300 Winny and .300 WSM. Recoil is a real concern for me. While I know I will not notice the recoil when hunting, I do like to practice shooting from both a bench and field positions. I currently shoot a M70 feitherweight in .270 with no problems, and have shot an older standard weight M70 with a 24" bbl in .30/06 many times without problems as well. However, when I was 18 I moved up from a .30/30 to a Savage M110 in 7 mag and had a hard time handling its recoil. Now at this point I hadn't shot a whole bunch, and the Savage stock probably isn't the best for managing recoil, but I sold it and bought my .270 instead. Since then, 16 years later, I have shot quit a bit, including shotguns with 3 inch duck and turkey loads. Can anyone tell me how you think I'd do with a .300? Considering the .300 WSM over the .300 Winny because of recoil. I would like a Kimber Montana, but will probably buy a Tikka instead and apply the savings to hunting. Thanks.

I'd go with the 300 win mag, or even better, a 338, and even better than that, a 375 H&H. I've never had problems finding ammo for these calibers, and they are very versatile.

Default 300wsm

i have owned a 300wsm for about 3years now and i've shot two sheep a goat and a black bear for myself with it. have had no problems with it its a great gun. i even use it when i'm guiding and have put down several brown bears and had to take out a wounded black bear this year ....440 yard running shot....didn't make it 50 more feet. i like the short action and its ballistacally equal to the 300 win mag with less felt recoil. i suggest finding someone who has either of these rifles and do some shooting everybody is different, find out what you like

So is there anyone in Oklahoma who'd let me shoot their .300 WSM...lol??