Thread: rabbit population cycles

Smile rabbit population cycles

ive been reading a bit on rabbits and am interested in the population cycles -
    does anyone know more about this. Does diffrent stretches of habitat have diffrent cycles? Or does an entire area / the whole state go through a high low cycle at the same time? And if so does anyone know where we are at this year --- I have seen lots of rabbits this year! Thanks - t

Default rabbit cycles

Nobody knows exactly why it happens but I'm sure it's a combination of things that happen when you overpopulate a habitat. I think different areas of the state go through their own cycles but thats just my opinion. Here in Fairbanks I feel we're on an upswing as I've seen more this year than last but there always seems to be enough around to hunt same as with the grouse cycle.

One thing that happens is when the willows are over grazed the plants produce a chemical that the rabbits won't eat and the bunnies starve.

This is a good hare year for sure. I brought 13 home this weekend, one is in the crockpot now.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I had another good morning yesterday. Not quite as good as last weekend but I could only hunt till noon.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Wow Doug,

What part of the state are you hunting??

Jon

I hunt north of Palmer. Seems the population is doing well this year. I'm seeing a lot more hare this year than I did last year.

Default Lotsa Rabbits....

Certainly seems that the populations is up. I need to get out soon and give it a try. I've never really gotten out and explored for rabbit, I'll have to make this my year!

Jon

Nice job doug! Is where your hunting pretty open? Any busy roads nearby? I want to take my beagle somewhere and shoot some video of the hunt. Ive tried around knik, but its pretty thick in there and Im not getting very good footage.

Ive only been out twice this year, and for the most part im getting a good feeling that the bunnies are doing good.

Looks like you had a fun hunt. What's the specs on that 10/22 of yours?

It's a custom build I completed last year.

Whistle Pig 18 Fluted Compensated Polished Barrel
    Hogue Over-Molded Synthetic
    Hornet Custom S Trigger Group
    Receiver finished in Black-T
    Jeweled Bolt by CPC
    VQ Extended Bolt Handle & Recoil Rod
    Shock Stop Bolt Buffer (WPGBC)
    VQ Extended Mag Release
    Power Custom Mount
    Millet Lightweight Alloy Rings
    Leupold VXII-3X9X33 EFR

It will shoot 1/2" groups or better if I'm having a good day at 50 yards off the bench and it is a joy to pack in the wood due to it's light weight.

Do you use dogs or hunt on foot. I think your right about the population being up. I have been seeing lots of rabbits!!

I hunt on foot. The area is far too thick for dogs, lots of dense spruce and thick brush.

Doug,
    North of Palmer or north of Chickaloon? I am not usualy one to be the regulation police but unit 13 is no limit and unit 14 is 5 per day. Not tryng to bust your chops more than anything I am trying to figure out where you are getting into bunnies that thick!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Doug,
    North of Palmer or north of Chickaloon? I am not usualy one to be the regulation police but unit 13 is no limit and unit 14 is 5 per day. Not tryng to bust your chops more than anything I am trying to figure out where you are getting into bunnies that thick!
    NO DOUBT!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Doug,
    Wow, this is the first my moral character has been questioned by someone suggesting I may be a violator of Alaska game laws. Perhaps you should do as I did many years ago; drag your rear-end off the easy chair and out through the woods and you will eventually find a good spot for rabbits. Besides, do you really expect me to share my good hunting spots with everyone on the Internet?
    I'm in Fairbanks today, drove up yesterday, and the rabbits are thicker than flies around Cantwell and Healy. Too far to drive for rabbits? Naw, not really if you plan to leave early and make a day of it. I had my rifle with me but didn't have enough time to stop and hunt. I'll probably give it a shot on the way home.

I'm not trying to atack your moral character just reading your post and counting the number of rabits in the pic I didn't want anyone to get in trouble for misreading the Reg. As to my rear end on the easy chair I spend as much time wondering the woods as I can around spending time with my kids which are mostly to young to hunt. I spent the last 8 years out of state with the military only to come back and find alot of my spots have been closed or ruined and the regulations are drasticaly different. And honestly since I just got back from Iraq a little over a month ago to 6 month old I hadn't met the kids and the wife have earned most of my time. But thanks to all those who have helped me find some new spots to get out while still being close enough to home to make it back in time to pick up my oldest from kindergarten. Personally I if I accidently misread the regs and was potentialy in violation I would rather hear it from someone here than a trooper and so would my wallet. Sorry to offend you it wasn't my intention.
    Jon
    Thanks for the heads up on Cantwell I might have to make a drive out that way.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you post. Yep, if you've time to take an entire day, it might be worth your while to head up to Cantwell. My wife and I travel to Fairbanks four or five times a year (my son relocated and took my grandkids with him ) This past summer on one of our trips back to Wasilla I think we counted around 150 rabbits in the Cantwell and Healy areas. Traffic took a toll on them, they were smashed all over the highway. When I came up to Fairbanks yesterday I only saw a couple from the road, mostly because of the fresh snow. They are now very hard to see from the road. However, I saw lots of tracks and trails in the brush so they are still there.
    Good luck, I hope you have a very successfull trip!