Thread: kenai lakes canoeing

Default kenai lakes canoeing

I drove down Swanson river road yesterday and some of the lakes are open, and a few have a little ice still floating about. They should be open by this next weekend. I can't wait to get out on the lakes. the fishing should be pretty good from a canoe.

Default favorite canoe

whatt is your choice of canoe for Alaska waters?

I definately need to hit the canoe trails this summer, always have a good time down there.

As far as canoe recomendations, the cheapy plastics from Coleman, Pelican et al have the upside of being cheap, so getting folks out on the water that may not otherwise due to cost. That was certainly the case with convincing my wife we needed a canoe.

I have paddled Old town and Mad river, and realize you definately get what you pay for. They are easier to paddle, manuever better, and vary from a little to alot lighter depending on what material they are made from.

My personal thought is if you're going to be mostly on lakes, and doing a fair bit of portaging, get the lightest boat you can afford. If you're going down rivers, or on big lakes with no portages, the plastic hull materials are tougher than the lighter laminated hulls, and the weight isn't as big of an issue.

Default Souris Rivers?

Hey, are you guys familiar with Souris Rivers canoes? Just curious if you've used them. A while back I was researching them and they looked pretty good.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Who has seen Deliverance? Aluminum canoes for me. I squeal for no one.

Default Aluminum canoes

I just bought an old Aluminum canoe last week for 150 bucks. They are noisy and cold on the feet. The price was right.LOL
    I like the Roylex boats for light weight and because they are made with a foam core in the laminate, they need no bulk heads so the canoe don't sink. Mike,,I Have heard of the Souris canoes, and I think they have a dealer up in Fairbanks.
    They make really good quality Kevlar, and Carbon and fiberglass canoes, all light weight and great design for flat water. The price is a little tough to swallow though. I Would never dare take a glass or carbon Canoe down the Swanson river. TOO many rocks to chip away at the Polyester material.... and Carbon is not designed to take impact, and can shatter. It holds its shape perfectly during any load though.. and is sooo beautiful.. If I lived in an area like The boundary waters where they have deep and large lakes, I think they would be fantastic. Like the earlier post though,, Our little rocky streams in alaska are suited for plastic.
    I guess that means we need to have more than one canoe..

Default souris river

Not that I know much about Alaska rivers... Im just a Florida boy on the way to Fairbanks. But the Souris river stuff is epoxy not polyester, you can beat the crap out of that canoe... But I agree wayyy to expensive. Especially after you load it up with a couple hundered pounds of gear, game and people... THen that 35 lbs you saved really doesnt matter much. Certainly not another thousand dolllars. Like when mountain biking I had a racing friend that would spend a crapload to shave ounces off his bike. I just tried to drop a few pounds from the waist. Its cheaper and the Army doesnt pay that much.

-Tsi

Kevlar and carbon fiber require epoxy resin, not polyester. As far as the light laminate canoes being expensive, yes they are, but they aren't so just to lighten your wallet. The raw materials of the cloth and resin are a good $500, and that was a few years back, I know epoxy has been going up considerbly the last year or two, and I imagine the cloth will as well. Then there is the labor involved in laying up the laminate.

If you're doing the canoe lake trails where you spend as much time portaging as paddling, I can see the lightest possible canoe being the way to go.

If you have the time and tools, a geodesic aerolite is a wonderful featherweight canoe to build, and reasonably inexspensive. I'll be building one as soon as I get my Tolman skiff finished.

Default Epoxy bullet proof 2,000 series

I am sorry that I did not do my homework on the resin used in the lay up of the Souris boats. It is indeed EPOXY..
    I once had a Kevlar canoe in my fleet, and the manufacture used Polyester instead of the much tougher and expensive,, and very hard to work with Epoxy resin..
    It was light, but was destroyed and repaired so many times, It just got to be an ugly boat.. Light or not.. no one likes to ride on an ugly horse...
    I myself have not used an epoxy resin kevlar boat to date, so I don't know how it would handle the several thousand hidden rocks in the Swanson river itself.. I will be using my slow and antiquated Coleman type polyethelene $399.00 special for such places. I won't even let any of my Roylex boats down the river, as it just makes a nice boat old in just a couple of trips.
    Weight wise for portage?? My 16 foot Old town penobscot (Roylex) weighs like 58 lbs and I can carry it alone about 1/2 mile before I set it down. Yes I do have to go back after my 40 lb pack, but I don't mind the portages because I love the Plants, birds, and in season picking different berries etc. Even if my canoe weighed 44 lbs, and I lightened my pack to 35 lbs,( this means mom would have to carry 9 lbs more of her own stuff) I still would make the extra trip. I know of no one that has disc's that enjoy that much weight for very long.
    OK,, the truth is I just can't afford the Kevlar boat at this time...... but I had some great excuses huh?
    Max

I must admit I have not ever owned a kevlar canoe either, just alum grumman ones... But If I were to buy one the Souris is the way to go... That geodesic aerolite looks really cool too though... If I end up with a basement/big enough garage when I get up there I might just have to make one of those...

-Tsi