Thread: Hiking/Climbing Goals for 2007/2008

Default Hiking/Climbing Goals for 2007/2008

Although most of the season is already done and complete for Alaska... I'd like to know if any of you have any hiking/climbing goals for 2007/2008. I was just discussing with 2 other people today some of their goals for end of this year into next year.

*Do you want to purchase more gear and if so what kind?
    *Do you have certain peaks that you are interested in summitting?
    *Do you have areas that you would like to scout first before being able to climb?
    *Are there any climbing books that you suggest for newcomers?

I have a major and minor goal for this next year.
    My major goal is to start and try White Princess in Delta Jct. I have a few other people who are interested in making this a trip and we can't do this until end of May, beginning of June. This will be a major ice climb for me!
    The minor goal is to summit Panorama Peak near Cantwell. Last year, I couldn't find the 'trailhead' but when I drove through in July, I found a slight road that might actually lead exactly to where I need to go just past the Denali Hwy on the Fairbanks side of Parks Hwy.
    The one piece of equipment I really want/need to purchase are crampons. Quality ones.
    The climbing books that I suggest are:
    Touching the Void
    Into Thin Air
    Minus 148
    Alaska Climbing Guide (purple book)
    Also, Alaska Alpine Club has a series of small books that you could bring that includes maps at a local place here in Fairbanks called Beaver Sports. So... if you are an avid climber and in this area, you might want to consider these pamphlets because they will be worthwhile to you.

Anyone else out there that are climbers/hikers? I don't see many that post here and I'd like to get an idea of who all might be out there?!??!
    Lurker.

Well, this will be my first year to hike in the winter. I am going to buy crampons, ice axe, and learn some mountaineering, and see how I like it. If all goes well, I think I would like to summit a large peak that requires more skill than just hiking. I'll keep this goal vague because I don't really know what I'm getting into yet.

Summer '08 goals? Gosh, I've done so many already. This summer I ran the Resurrection 50-miler, which even surprised myself. Next year, I'd like to go sub 1:15 in the Mt. Marathon race. I'm also thinking of entering the Mat Peak Challenge.

I can't wait to see what this winter holds, though...

Hey, anyone want to do some serious winter hiking and live in the Soldotna area?

I'm a backpacker, not much of a climber other then small peaks that are just a scramble to get up. I don't hike in the winter because I mush dogs (when possible) and that is much more fun lol.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I'm a backpacker, not much of a climber other then small peaks that are just a scramble to get up. I don't hike in the winter because I mush dogs (when possible) and that is much more fun lol.
    Really? It's funner than climbing/backpacking?

I am kind of biased, I suppose!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmith View Post
    Well, this will be my first year to hike in the winter. I am going to buy crampons, ice axe, and learn some mountaineering, and see how I like it. If all goes well, I think I would like to summit a large peak that requires more skill than just hiking. I'll keep this goal vague because I don't really know what I'm getting into yet.

Summer '08 goals? Gosh, I've done so many already. This summer I ran the Resurrection 50-miler, which even surprised myself. Next year, I'd like to go sub 1:15 in the Mt. Marathon race. I'm also thinking of entering the Mat Peak Challenge.

I can't wait to see what this winter holds, though...

Hey, anyone want to do some serious winter hiking and live in the Soldotna area?
    The husband leaves for the slope in the winter time and my kiddies really enjoy hiking and climbing, too... so I might take you up on this offer.
    If you are interested, we could always meet somewhere and do some hikes/climbs/or snowshoeing.
    Are there groups in your area that do this? There are up here in Fairbanks... but they are almost too easy to do.
    Let me know what you think.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Really? It's funner than climbing/backpacking?

I am kind of biased, I suppose!
    Lol, really.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    The husband leaves for the slope in the winter time and my kiddies really enjoy hiking and climbing, too... so I might take you up on this offer.
    If you are interested, we could always meet somewhere and do some hikes/climbs/or snowshoeing.
    Are there groups in your area that do this? There are up here in Fairbanks... but they are almost too easy to do.
    Let me know what you think.
    Hey are you on my Myspace? http://www.myspace.com/cloud9doula

Default Climbing

I wish I was able to do more but hard to find needed time with everything else in Alaska. My goals for next year are simple to climb Mt. Marathon, and a bike ride with the family to stay in the Upper Russian River Lakes Cabin (think around 22 miles round trip, but boys will be 9 and 12 then and they consider it a large adventure at that age).

I have a true respect for those that run up Mt. Marathon and those that commit the activities to climbing and long hikes. I use to love to hike Glacier Park but gave up summer trips in Montana to enjoy every minute I can in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hey are you on my Myspace? http://www.myspace.com/cloud9doula
    I am.
    Add me as well.
    www.myspace.com/hidingamongthetrees
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I wish I was able to do more but hard to find needed time with everything else in Alaska. My goals for next year are simple to climb Mt. Marathon, and a bike ride with the family to stay in the Upper Russian River Lakes Cabin (think around 22 miles round trip, but boys will be 9 and 12 then and they consider it a large adventure at that age).

I have a true respect for those that run up Mt. Marathon and those that commit the activities to climbing and long hikes. I use to love to hike Glacier Park but gave up summer trips in Montana to enjoy every minute I can in Alaska.
    I, too, will be giving up climbs in Colorado for hikes and climbs in Alaska.
    I know how to do winter ascents in CO, so it's really okay.

I'd like to try the Equinox, but I am not where close to being able to do a full marathon like that. The only thing that makes it easy is that it's local.
    Lurker.

Wink 2008 goals

I didn't "achieve" as many hikes/climbs as I would have liked, what with many other summer activities ongoing -dipnetting, soccer, fishing, and mountain biking, but did complete the "Bomber Traverse" in Hatcher's Pass with my son as my summer highlight, and we had great weather and established the "Bomber cache" geocache back near the Bomber Glacier while we were at it. We also hiked Snowhawk valley and Site Summit with family on father's Day, but didn't do our annual family tradition of hiking to Gold Cord lake and jumping in

My goals this winter are to ski the Ship Creek Valley traverse, and to Gold Mint Hut ...

Next Summer I want to hike/climb Temptation Peak, Crow Pass, and do the Kesugi Ridge Trail ... and hike/climb Mt Marathon with the family on a sunny day in mid-late July after the race. I hope to be in moutain racing shape to try 1-2 of the mountain races also ... besides the other summer activities