Thread: Successful Moose Hunt 2007

Default Successful Moose Hunt 2007

Well, after much deliberation in the early part of the season my partner and I finally decided on an area to hunt. We ended up going North. About 40 miles North of Fairbanks. This was an area that we were both somewhat familiar with and felt comfortable with the current bull/cow ratios. So off we went with our trusty NRS raft and enough food to last us about a week.

After the first day we were somewhat discouraged. We had only seen one cow with a calf. We did see a lot of sign along the river but that was about it. We passed one camp along the river that had taken one small bull, but that was it.

On day two things began to look up. We seen a couple of small bulls along the river. One spike fork and one small paddle bull. Neither were what we were looking for this early in the hunt. So we ended up passing on these. Of course when we told some others that we had passed they looked at us like we were out of our minds. We didn't mind though. Figured we would let them grow up a little and come back looking for them in a few years. None the less, the hunt continued.

On day three we hadn't seen anything. Again we started to wonder if we had made the right choice. That evening we decided to camp along the river. We unpacked the raft and established our temporary homested for the night. After a good dinner we heard a little noise back in the tree line across the river. There was another camp up river and around the bend from us and we figured that it was probably those guys. None the less, I let out a few grunts and raked the trees a little and actually got a response. I waited a few minutes and grunted again. Once again he grunted back and he started raking the trees. By now the sun was getting down behind the hills and we couldn't get a visual on the animal so we went to bed. We figured the next morning we could paddle across the river and take a look around. We had noticed that there was a guy standing across the river about 200 yds up from us that had been there for the better part of two hours and right at dark he final left and headed back to his camp around the bend.

That night, around 4:00 A.M. my partner said he heard something in the bushes right outside the tent. I woke and listended but I didn't hear anything. Around 6:30 A.M. he woke again and then woke me up saying that he heard it again. I was still about 1/2 asleep but this time I did hear it and the first thing I thought was that we had a grizzly in camp joining us for breakfast. I grabbed my rifle, jumped out of the tent ready to do battle......nothing. Not a thing. It was a little cold so I hopped back into the tent to warm up and put on my clothes. My partner had gotten out and began to start a fire when I heard him say......"there is a mooose on the beach"........."he is a really big bull". Of course here I am in my long johns, t-shirt and socks. At first, I yelled back......ya right. Then he said I am not kidding, he's huge. At this point we looked like a three ring circus as I grabbed my gun and range finder, running down the river bank in my long johns, socks and t-shirt. My parter had his rifle so he ran along side me, stopped and took aim. Since he spotted it, I said "you get first shot, don't miss". I pulled up the range finder and zero'd him in at 203 yards. My partner then let him have it......BOOM! the bull buckled but was still standing........I said "shoot him again".......BOOM! This time he hit him through the lungs. The bull fell over right in the river in a bout a foot of water. He thrashed around for about 20 seconds and got back up. He started walking across the river at this point. I told my partner "hold off until he gets to the other side then let him have it." I ranged him again and said he was going to be around 225 to 230 yards on the other side. As soon as he stepped up on the bank I said "let him have it.......BOOM. This time he hit him a little high above the shoulder and broke his back. Down he went. We both let out a sigh of relief. After getting all of our knives, saws and other items together we made it across the river to have a look. Believe it or not, that bull fell and died right in the foot tracks of the guy that had been standing there for over 3 hours the night before. Of course about 2 hours later those guys broke camp and came around the conner in their raft. I thought for a minute they were going to break down and cry upon seeing the bull.

He measured out at 58" wide and 4 brow tines on each side. A very symetrical set of horns. He will make a very nice shoulder mount. Picture attached.

I wish all of you the best of luck and hunt safe.

ARCTIC DUSTOFF
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up nice bull...

and thanks for the pics and story

Default Congrats

Congrats guys! Nice trip and story! I bet those others were going to cry!

I would have cried, but hey nice moose and sounds like a fun trip, congradulations.

Very nice moose, and just out of the water. Great spot to work on it.

Great story and and a very nice moose! That symmetrical rack will make a great mount!

Thumbs up Way to go!

That is a nice moose! Congrats!