Thread: PWS Deer numbers

Default PWS Deer numbers

I have found some documentation online that states the ABC islands down in the southeast had an unusually high amount of deer that died during the winter due to all of the snow they recieved.
    I have been looking all over for anything on this years deer population reports in PWS but can only find older archive material...has anyone seen or heard anything for this year?

Thanks in advance!!

I've been meaning to call the biologist in Cordova, but haven't gotten around to it.

We didn't have the serious heavy snowfall SE had, so as far as I know the heards fared ok.

Default PWS deer

We had lots of snow last winter over here near Cordova, but it warmed up and rained, then froze hard so the deer were able to walk on top of it instead of expending energy plowing through it. The deer seemed to have wintered just fine. Been seeing lots of deer every trip out. Saw 33 opening day, at least 5 fork or bigger, some were spotted too far away to tell. Lots of yearlings which is a good sign too that the winter wasn't too hard on them. A couple real nice bucks already taken in the area.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information, I wasn't sure what kind of winter they had down there. Thanks!