Thread: Dm 797?

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default Dm 797?

I drew this permit, but was told that in order to hunt this hunt at all I'll need hunter ed. class. Is this true? Or is it just needed to hunt on base? Or can you still get military access to hunt without hunter ed? Are there portions of this hunt that aren't on the base? Any help would be great. Thanks

Only if your hunting military land, a good portion of that hunt is not on military land though so I wouldn't worry to much about it. Part of the area is where I hunt during the general season.

Default Military Land???

Is it obvious where the military land starts and the state land starts. Is it the area in red on the map here???

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/GIS/m...oose/dm797.gif

I believe that area in red is the Delta Controlled use Management area, not the military lands. You'll probably have to get with Ft Greely and get a map from them.

Default Lengend on Map?

According to the lengend on the map areas shaded in blue is part of the controlled use area. And the red is the managment area. Or am i missing something? Either way I need to contact Ft. Greely. Just curious.

Thanks.

When are you guys planning on going? With the 570 permits they gave out, this has the potential to be a bit crowded. No telling how many people will actually hunt, but seems like company in the field will be a given.

My wife, close friend, sister, and mother all drew this permit. I'm taking my wife and friend up to hunt on October 4th and 5th (Thursday and Friday). My brother may bring my mother and sister up at the same time, but I'm not sure yet. We're hoping to beat the weekend crowds, but I'm sure we won't be the only ones.

Default military training

Just a FYI if you havent received the flyer from ADF&G yet. Most of the Meadows Road area will be closed most of the month of October due to military training. There is still plenty of hunting area but just make sure you call in the automated system to make sure the military areas you are going to hunt are open.

Default Just off the phone with Fort Greely.

I justed talk to Ft. Greely. The guy at range control was very helpful. A link to download the PDF map of the military land breakdown for the hunt.

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservation/NR_dta.htm

It didn't work just to click the link on the left for the cow moose hunt had to right click on the link and download the pdf file. Also he said the areas 1,3, &4 will be closed to hunting until Oct. 15th due to troops training in that area. So only Jarvis West East 2 will be open from the 1st to the 15th for hunting on military land.

Making it a very small area for 570 people to be hunting for the first 15 days of the season. Just Jarvis west east 2 and the small amount of state land along the road corridor. Just a little FYI for those interested.

Brian, I may be heading up that way then too. Maybe I'll see ya around.

Default Ok I'm a little slow sorry!

So the pdf from the miltary is basically blown up portion of the Pink portion of the map from F&G. So are we allowed to hunt for moose in DCU Area with the DM 797 permit?

I have an established camp in that area and there's also a small cabin just up the way from our camp. Finding a cow would be easy if you can beat the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Finding a cow would be easy if you can beat the crowds.
    How about finding 4 cows?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So the pdf from the miltary is basically blown up portion of the Pink portion of the map from F&G. So are we allowed to hunt for moose in DCU Area with the DM 797 permit?
    Yep. For those who need it, here is the map for the hunt area.

Default hunt 797

in the hunting reg. they list this hunt twice, page 97, perrmit hunt#, 2 nd dowm and 6 th down. think i'll go to fish and game on this. i also drew a permit.

Default 797

Brian,

797 only has 50 permits issued. 798 has 100 and 799 50.

Those of you hunting 797 will not find it crowded as only 50 permits are issued for it. You should be able to find cows very easily out there without the craziness of last fall when it was a registration hunt. I will be out there with a friend who's grandson drew the permit. Should be a fun time helping out.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Brian,

797 only has 50 permits issued. 798 has 100 and 799 50.
    I made that post back in 2007. During the first year of the hunt, there were well over 500 permits issued for the hunt and you could hunt right from the road. Now the hunt area is set back quite a ways and the # of permits has gone way down. This thread was resurrected from quite some time ago and the info isn't current.

Default Sorry!

Sorry Brian, didn't look at the date on that!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Sorry Brian, didn't look at the date on that!
    Mike you are not the only one! I sent a pm to Alaska_Lanche and am betting he is wondering what the heck I am jabbering about.

Default This thread...

needs to be deleted!

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Mike you are not the only one! I sent a pm to Alaska_Lanche and am betting he is wondering what the heck I am jabbering about.
    HAHA!!! I appreciate the info though. But yeah I was kinda confused up until I read this thread.