Thread: Kodiak Bear

Default Kodiak Bear

I'm headed with my Bro and a friend to Kodiak Island fro Deer beginning in December. What's the chance of running into a Brown Bear this time of year? I thought I'd take my Win 1894 30-30 instead of the 7MM Rem.

always a chance, some bears down there never den, some den early and some den late, just always be bear safe, that way your always covered, bear won't care between a 30-30 or a 7mm anyway, its all where you put it after all.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    always a chance, some bears down there never den, some den early and some den late, just always be bear safe, that way your always covered, bear won't care between a 30-30 or a 7mm anyway, its all where you put it after all.
    Or, where he puts you if he doesn't allow a "good shot" prior to slapping you.

I'm all for the "bigger is better" theory. If all you get to see is a flash of fur prior to contact, AND, you get to squeeze off a hopefull/lucky round...it makes more sense to break his knee, foot, toe, than to give him a puncture.

I will forever believe this.

amen but as with most bears on kodiak your more likely gonna just scare them off...look how many people hunt that island for deer and how many actually have physical contact between them and a bear....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Dec. Deer

I hunted Kodiak the first week of Dec. in 1989 and the first nice buck I shot I pulled the horns off its head. So if you are meat hunting no big deal. We didnt see any bear. BC

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    amen but as with most bears on kodiak your more likely gonna just scare them off...look how many people hunt that island for deer and how many actually have physical contact between them and a bear....
    Yup, yup, agreed. I just like big bullets where big bears live... even if they are supposed to be sleeping.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by onanymonday View Post
    I'm headed with my Bro and a friend to Kodiak Island fro Deer beginning in December. What's the chance of running into a Brown Bear this time of year? I thought I'd take my Win 1894 30-30 instead of the 7MM Rem.
    You will love your hunt there . I am heading over in Nov for my deer hunt again.
    My daughter and son-n-law live there so when we visit I just bring my rifle along .
    I have in the past used my Marlin Guide gun with Hard cast 515 Grain WFNGC bullets.
    Yes I know that is just a tad large for deer but while we were hunting for deer we all so are looking out for MR. Big and fuzzy and if we had an incounter I had the medicine for them that would break bones .

My buddy used his 270 and the exit wound was has the size of my fist with meat damage .Not sure what type of bullets he used to create such nasty holes .
    All three of my deer had a perfect half inch hole in and half inch hole out with no meat damage.
    I also vote for big bores !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default History

Not to make lite of the bear-human interaction on Kodiak but, to my knowledge, there has been only one hunter killed by a bear on Kodiak in the last 75 years. Yes some nasty injuries so be prepared regardless of the time of year. BTW, the death was on either Raspberry or Afognak - not actually Kodiak although I doubt that made a difference. My information came from a TV program on national Geographis - so it may be inaccurate.

That hunting fatality was in 1999 - a year after a bad winter with no berries for the bears to eat. For what it's worth, last winter was snowy. I just came bact from Kodiak and there are VERY few berries.

My hunting buddy who lives in Kodiak did a November deer hunt last year. They were in the tent for 4 of the 6 days because of driving rain - so be prepared for lousy weather as well as bears.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by onanymonday View Post
    Go with the 30-30 Its definitely over kill for blacktail, Like a couple of the pevious post have mentioned the bears want to avoid you as well, But if you stumble accross one on fresh kill site or by chance end up between a sow & a couple cubs, Things could get real hairy in a real hury! Personally i pack the .300win.mag. 180 grain & the trusty .44mag. 240 grain on the hip, (Stay away from the hollow point's) just try & not become another statistic. Good luck on your hunt!

how bout you pick up a can of pepper spray at macs when you get there?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I thought pepper spray was for those without guns?

pepper spray is for everyone, like I imagine you put your gun down while you are feild dressing your deer. Pepper spray can be attached to your bealt easily, plus you don't have to be spot on accurate with it and is more effective in dettering bear attacks than fire arms. Lasty a rifle is not made for the type of shot you would be taking at a charging bear, personally the only firearm I would carry specifically as a bear detterant is a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun because I can put it on target in a hurry and I can shoot non lethal rounds out of it to just haze bears around camp etc. There were a few times this summer working on the Alaska penninsula this summer I would have loved to have had a can of pepper spray, especially the time I was standing in 300 sockeye in a seine net (like a deer you just shot) taking samples and a sow w/ 2 cubs popped over the hill 10 yard away and my shotgun was 5 yards away fortuneatly the bears didn't pounce on me as I dove for the shot gun and I was able to fire a cracker shell into to the closest bears ear... It coulda been much more dicey than it was but a can of bear spray in my hand woulda been much more reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    pepper spray is for everyone, like I imagine you put your gun down while you are feild dressing your deer. Pepper spray can be attached to your bealt easily, plus you don't have to be spot on accurate with it and is more effective in dettering bear attacks than fire arms. Lasty a rifle is not made for the type of shot you would be taking at a charging bear, personally the only firearm I would carry specifically as a bear detterant is a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun because I can put it on target in a hurry and I can shoot non lethal rounds out of it to just haze bears around camp etc. There were a few times this summer working on the Alaska penninsula this summer I would have loved to have had a can of pepper spray, especially the time I was standing in 300 sockeye in a seine net (like a deer you just shot) taking samples and a sow w/ 2 cubs popped over the hill 10 yard away and my shotgun was 5 yards away fortuneatly the bears didn't pounce on me as I dove for the shot gun and I was able to fire a cracker shell into to the closest bears ear... It coulda been much more dicey than it was but a can of bear spray in my hand woulda been much more reassuring.

Chances are that if you take the time to take off your side arm off your belt while cleaning a deer than you'll take off a bulky pepper spray can as well. There are other rounds of rifle that would be just as easy to aim at a charging bear just a a 45-70 with open sights. Plus with pepper spray you got one shot. With most rifles and handguns you got atleast 3 to 4 shots. Give me fire power any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Chances are that if you take the time to take off your side arm off your belt while cleaning a deer than you'll take off a bulky pepper spray can as well. There are other rounds of rifle that would be just as easy to aim at a charging bear just a a 45-70 with open sights. Plus with pepper spray you got one shot. With most rifles and handguns you got atleast 3 to 4 shots. Give me fire power any day.
    Pepper spray is a heck of a lot cheaper than a pistol... and more effective statistically

Default Really?

I thought Pepper spray just made you taste spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Pepper spray is a heck of a lot cheaper than a pistol... and more effective statistically
    Especially into the wind too huh?

Default Pepper spray has more than one shot....

With the pepper spray you have somewhere around 10 seconds spray time with some of the brands, and you are supposed to use short bursts like firing a gun, not just hold the trigger the whole time. The noise of the bursts plus the fog bright colored could scare the bear just as much as the pepper spray actually getting in its eyes or nose.