Thread: SUCCESS!!! & Thanks!!

Default SUCCESS!!! & Thanks!!

The wife and I just got back from our first trip and hunt to Alaska. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the members who make posts on the forum and offered advice to all of my questions. We were trying to do a combo moose and caribou. We were flown in by Wrights out of Fairbanks. They are a first class operation that can be trusted! We started at a head water in 25a up by the Brooks range. The scenery was just beautiful. We had to move all of our gear about 600 yrds to the water (the start of the work). We got started and floated or maybe I should say dragged for about 4 miles and then spotted a small herd about 6/10th of a mile off the river( known distance due to GPS later). We made the decission to camp there for the night and see what the next morning would bring. We saw the same small group up at the top of the mountain but figured that we would hike up to the original spot that we saw them and glass from that advantage point. I had learned from this forum and shows that there was no chance of catching them or chasing them so we never tried. The tundra and the tus-(SUCKS!) has got to be the most aweful thing ever concieved of by God. When we got there we spent the next couple hours glassing and just enjoying the beauty. We had spotted some other caribou miles off and we were trying to formulate a plan as what to do, stay there for a while or go down stream a few more miles. My wife had spotted some antlers moving about 600 yrds in a depression up the mountain. The wind had shifted and was working against us by blowing left to right but up the mountain. I figured what the hell, lets give it a try so we sprayed ourselves down and started a slow long stalk trying to angle behind them. They had bedded down just below the rise and all we could see was their antlers. When we got within 200 yrds we dropped our packs and continued the stalk **** near on our bellies. When we had closed the gap to 100 yrds one bull got up ( not sure if he winded us or not). I dropped him with my 338. After that his buddy decided to get up and see what was going on and I handed the rifle to my wife and she sent him to see his buddy not more than 40yrds a part!! This was at noon. We spent the next 2 days moving our trophies back to camp. Yes, we made the rookie mistake and worked our AS*** off. The GPS told me that we were exactlly 1 mile from our camp ( seemed like 10 miles). We salvaged all our meat( lost one front quarter to the 225 grain. Nancy helped every second and never missed a lick, never complained and never quit. She carried a load every time I did and weighs in at a 125lbs. She proved to be a wife that a man can be proud of and a definite keeper!! ( Hell, a better hunting partner than a lot of guys I know!!) The water was down quite a lot and we learned alot about float hunting. Unfortunatly our raft was an otter and a little too small. We couldn't have put another pound in that raft. The water did get a little deeper over the next few days but we were still hitting bottom in plenty of spots. I made the decision that we would try to make it to our extraction point and then try to hunt moose there. After making it about 2/3 rds of the way of a 50mi float we found an alternate landing zone and decided to call for an early extraction. Nancy had stained her back and it was kind of on the bad side of things so as not to make things worse or ruin the hunt and our success. ( again, she never complained or asked but it seemed like the right decission) Wrights gave us no problems and promptly showed up the next day. All of the meat made it to the processor and we donated 1 of the caribou to the food bank. We spent our extra time doing a little exploring and went to Denali National Park. We also spent a couple of days in Fairbanks. We are now seriously considering making a move. I would like to thank everyone again for all of the help and advice. I'm already starting to plan my next Alaskan hunt although my wife is swearing off bush plane rides (she got motion sickness ) Nancy loves horses so we may have to plan a packing trip P9050081.JPG

P9050089.JPG

Default A few more pics

Thought that I would add a few other pics of our trip.

P9050068.JPG

P9050094.JPG

Default Fun on the river

A couple more

P9070102.JPG

P9090136.JPG

Nice writeup and good looking caribou! Glad the two of you had such a great hunt and hope you return to give it another go.

Congratulations! Can't get more awesome than that! Thanks for posting the pix and sharing your hunt with us.

Brian

Thats awesome.Nice going to you and your wife both.Thanks for sharing a great hunt and pictures with us.Daniel

Thumbs up great job.

way to go, Guys. Thanks for the story and pics.
    You guys have memories for a lifetime and some great meat.
    The foodbank surely appreciated your gesture too.

Frank

After seeing the picture of the loaded raft, I have to ask...what did you guys do? Run along the shore and try to keep up?

Default Raft load

It was interesting to say the least. I learned very quickly how to work fast turns and choose the deep spots (what there was). We were very lucky and only picked the wrong fork one time, beginners luck I guess. I used the oars as leverage under the back of the raft where the meat was most of the time and the wife pulled, it took 15 minutes of work to make it past that spot. We did get out several times and do a little pushing and pulling. Hence, one of the reasons not to try to add another 700 lbs. I was even lucky enough to have the wind blowing in the opposite direction for 2 days. It was hard enough to hold the raft still in the river. I rowed forward then reverse then forward then reverse but still managed to have some fun and enjoy the scenery, just call me Popeye

Thumbs up Excellent

Dynamite Popeye!