Thread: Gun hire

Default Gun hire

I have just posted to the small game forum, but this one seems a bit busier so im hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know where you can hire 1 to 2 guns for a week for un-guided small game hunting in october this year?

I'm not aware of anyone who rents guns. I have no idea whether it's legal or not, but the insurance and liability issues would be enough to make my head spin if I thought of doing it through my own business.

There may be a "work around" for you. Anyone can walk in and buy a muzzleloader over the counter. Sportsmans Warehouse has the largest selection in Anchorage. I have to imagine that rentals would be very expensive if you could find them, probably putting the fee within the price range of lower priced muzzleloaders. Why not pick up a smaller caliber muzzleloader and the components, have some fun with that, and donate it to a shooting club or something before you go home? There's a learning curve with muzzleloaders if you haven't used them before, but at the very least you could manage to do some shooting. Same applies for an archery setup.

Do you have your own small game shotgun/rifle? If so, bringing them along as checked luggage really isn't that much of a hassle as long as you have a good solid case.

nope, don't have my own unfortunately.

I will definitely take a look at what we can buy when we get there .... a muzzleloader or archery isn't really what we had in mind ... but could add a bit of a fun twist in the plan to trying to catch what we eat for a week

Just check at the local pawn shops. you could buy one use it for the hunt and then sell it back. you might lose half of wat you paid for it but it would be the equivalent of renting one. It would probably be cheeper to buy a gun in the lower 48 and bring it with you though.

Default H n R rifles

I dont know how much they run up here but I picked up a H n R single shot 20 guage back in Arkansas for under 100 bucks. If you did find a place that rented guns I bet it would cost you more than that to rent one.

buying does look to be the only option really. Just wish there was somewhere to store it until I come back next summer

Quote Originally Posted by oh_jamie View Post
    buying does look to be the only option really. Just wish there was somewhere to store it until I come back next summer
    Waterproof it, bury it, GPS grid location, get it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 2-6 View Post
    Waterproof it, bury it, GPS grid location, get it next year.
    Yep, done right this works good! I've got a stash of stuff in southeast, its been there for a few years and everything is in perfect order, minus some chewing from mice, but nothing in there can be damaged by mice, thats just a cardboard box we used to organize some of the smaller stuff.