Thread: Lame Hondamatic Transmission

Default Lame Hondamatic Transmission

Diam Hondamatic Auto transmission slips all the time on my Honda 400AT Rancher. Leaving from a stop it slips to a higher gear a lot of the time and have to completely stop to re-set it to first gear to get going normally again. Lame Hondamatic tranny.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-28-2007 at 10:45. Reason: language

I am totally talking about something I know nothing about since I've never had any slippage with any of my quads. However that said I do know that the type of motor oil you use can cause problems with ATVs since the clutch is immersed in the same oil as your engine. Could it be as simple as this?

Default YES

Yes. The manual that came with your machine will be very specific about what type of oil to use. I have changed the oil in my 06 Rubicon several times and have no such problems. I tow two meat trailers when hunting and they are loaded down pretty good and I have not experienced any problems.

Default Oil's not oil.

I heard Amsoil oil works good. Maybe I will get that in Anchorage next time I get out. Currently I am using Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-40.

Full Synthetic
    thats your problem

Quote Originally Posted by kunneak View Post
    I heard Amsoil oil works good. Maybe I will get that in Anchorage next time I get out. Currently I am using Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-40.
    That may be the problem. If you don't have a manual, give one of the local Honda dealers a call, and have a talk with the mechanic. He should know what oil you should be using.

Default Energy conserving oils...

I have also heard and read in my Yamaha manual that Energy conserving oils should be avoided. Best oils are basically brand name oils like yamalube or a diesel oil since most of those aren't energy conserving. Just look at the back and it will say Energy Conserving if it is. Regular Castrol 10w40 isn't I think.

I have a Rancher AT and a Rubicon. If you run the proper oil in them they work great, if you run the wrong oil they don't work. You want to talk about lame try running a belt drive machine through water all day long

You can use Amsoil fully synthetic oil in your Honda...I use it in all three of mine and have no problems. You just have to make sure you get the oil that is formulated for motorcycle style wet clutches. (it doesn't have friction modifiers in it. ) IE

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mcf.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    You want to talk about lame try running a belt drive machine through water all day long
    In stock form most belt drives are inferior but a snorkled belt drive machine is superior. When completly floating tire spin is what moves the machine and having to work your way thru the gears to get max spin is not better than a automatic. My snorkled Grizz is half duck

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    In stock form most belt drives are inferior but a snorkeled belt drive machine is superior.
    Superior to a Honda fully automatic hydromechanical that is continuously variable with electronic controls? I guess you have not been around one before.

Superior to a Honda fully automatic hydromechanical that is continuously variable with electronic controls? I guess you have not been around one before.
    Uh oh.....here we go.....

Never heard of this, explain more. Sounds like BS because of the word hydomechanical Nice try though. Sounds like the honda I pulled out of JC last summer. I told the dude to check the oil before he started it up but he didn't listen to me, just said he had done it before and hondas were bulletproof. His engine is now hydomechanical

Never heard of this, explain more. Sounds like BS because of the word hydomechanical Nice try though.
    The Honda Rubicon and Rancher At have transmissions that are called Hondamatic. Go to there website and you will see that they are hydromechanical. The Hondamatic transmission is the first continuously variable transmission of its kind. Housed within a compact, fully sealed assembly, it uses the principles of hydrostatic drive, mechanical power transfer and modern electronic controls to create a unique hydromechanic drive. Unlike traditional belt drives, the Hondamatic is quiet, maintenance-free, rugged, impervious to external contaminants and features true engine braking.

Here is a article at the motorsports network about it.
    http://www.motorsports-network.com/h...01/tranny.html

Here is a article in Popular Mechanics about it.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...01.html?page=4

Here is from a FAQ on Valvolines website

"Can I use SynPower motor oil in my motorcycle that has a wet clutch?
    No. SynPower is a highly friction modified oil and is not designed for wet clutches...."

according to their website they don't make a synthetic oil for wet clutch systems...that's most likely your problem.

it uses the principles of hydrostatic drive, mechanical power transfer and modern electronic controls to create a unique hydromechanic drive
    Crumm, wouldn't that make it electrohydromechanical then?

Oh, and I run a Yamaha with the CVT belt system in case you were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Crumm, wouldn't that make it electrohydromechanical then?

The proper name is Meclectaulic.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I don't care for belts. Never seen anything but trouble with them on all that I have been around.

I don't care for belts. Never seen anything but trouble with them on all that I have been around.
    Well the Yamaha belt system is bulletproof, no maintence and the belts don't wear out. Vastly superior to anything honda makes. Soon as I want to ride around on a overpriced, 3 wheel drive, straight axle, underpowered machine I'll go back to honda though
    Hondas last forever! Too bad after the first ride It'll leave you wanting MORE of a machine.

Well the Yamaha belt system is bulletproof, no maintence and the belts don't wear out.
    A belt that doesn't wear out... Now that there is funny