Thread: All-purpose rifle?

Default All-purpose rifle?

I know for a gun nut there is no such thing, but I was hoping to come close. I want to buy/build a gun that will work from whitetail/wild hog to moose/bear. I had decided to try and get a 30/06 rebored to 358 hawk, but then I thought maybe I shouldn't count out the 338 federal and the 358 winchester. It will be bolt action, open sighted, and should be good out to 200yds.

I know there are other worthy calibers, but what do you think out of these three? I'm just worried the 338fed and 358win won't have what it takes on a moose/bear out past 100yds(though I probably won't be shooting that far with open sights). What I liked about the '08 cases is the moderate recoil.

I would think that a .338-06 should be perfect for what you want of a gun. You can load a variety of .338-caliber bullets around 180 grain in weight for the smaller stuff, or just a 210-grain Partition for everything. If you want more punch, then you can load some of the relatively softer 225 to 250 grain bullets that most manufacturers produce for it.

Nothing wrong with the .338 Federal, since it should have similar ballistics to the .358, with the added benefit of a large number of bullet weights for it.

Other than that, the .30-06 as is- should be an outstanding all around cartridge.

Default all-around rifle

Yeah I'm going to have to make up my mind on the 338 vs 358. I guess the real question was out of the 308 case or the '06 case. The 30-06 is probably the best all-arounder, I was just look for a more medium bore.

Default 338-06 or 35 whelen

either one would prolly' work great. and get you a little bit past your 200 yd mark.

CZ

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    either one would prolly' work great. and get you a little bit past your 200 yd mark.

CZ
    Yes, I would have to agree with CZ, either one are great for the game and yardage you mentioned.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

+1 for the 338-06.

Default Stick with the .30-06...

10 million users can't be wrong! :P

Default Thanks

I already have a scoped 30-06, it was my grandad's and I'd like to put it up. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted something different.

It seems the 338-06 is preferred over the 35 whelen. The only thing the rifle I want doesn't come in either, so I'm going to get it rebored/rechambered from a 30-06. I figured if I have to pay for the work I might as well go with the Hawk versions for the extra couple hundred fps.

.458 Winchester Mag. Use .45 pistol bullets for practicing and the occaisional deer, and begin working into the heavier projectiles as the size of the game increases.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

In your neck of the woods, what is the preferred caliber of the majority of hunters for the primary species of animals that you hunt ? Just curious.
    When I read your initial post sounded like you were leaning a little toward a short action. Have you considered the 325 WSM, or if you want to go with a custom maybe a 338-300 WSM or a 35-300 WSM.

[quote=gathumper;146899]maybe I shouldn't count out the 338 federal and the 358 winchester. It will be bolt action, open sighted, and should be good out to 200yds.

The 338 fed and 358 win can both shoot 225 grain partitions at approx. 2400 fps. Would have to reload though. The 338 fed can be had over the counter with 210 partitions at approx. 2600 fps. All good to 200 yrds. I think both are excellent for your purpose.

Most people around here stick with 270/7mm to 30-06 for deer and wild hog. Its not that I want a short action, I just want a simple mauser rifle like the new ruger m77 hawkeye and its chambered in both the 338fed and 358win. If I wanted the 338-06 or 35 whelen I would have to rebore a 30-06 and spend an extra $400. I'm serious about taking a float trip up there in about 4 yrs, so I need something I can depend on when I've found my moose. I'll spend the extra money if I have to but if you native hunters say I can count on the 308 case rounds I'll be fine with that.

gathumper,
    Up in my part of the country, especially out here in rural Alaska most Native hunters use whatever rifle they or their family owns to hunt moose or caribou. The majority of hunters I know use a 243 and for many years I did too, it all has to do with shot placement. Over the years I have also used a 308, 270 and 30-06 for moose. It really comes down to you and your personal preference. The rifle you own and shoot accurately is your all-purpose rifle.
    If I were to recommend a caliber to you for your Alaskan Adventure, it would be the rifle that you are most familiar with and that you shoot accurately. By the way the new Ruger M77 Alaskan in .375 Ruger looks pretty darn good for Alaska, but if you will be hunting mostly in your home state and you know that a 338 Federal is a good round for most of the game there and that it was suitable for the type of hunting you are doing then I would go with that caliber.
    I know Native hunters up here who have used standard calibers like the 243 up to the 30-06 for bear hunting and they lived to tell their stories. I personally refer calibers from 338 Win Mag on up. Just needed to add with the smaller calibers, adjust your shooting ranges accordingly.

Look at some of your guns built around the 7mm bullet. I am partial to the .280 Remington myself. I can shoot everything from Coyotes to Grizzly with it. Bullet weights range from 100 grains all the way up to 175 grains I believe. 7mm Magnum is another great choice. Some may even argue 7mm-08.Good luck in your choice.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

gathumper:
    I could consider most of my rifles to be “all-purpose”.

7x57
    280 Rem.
    7mm RM
    7mm Wby

I’m with ARKY on the choice of 7mm Caliber.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Smitty

Those are all great rounds, I'm just looking for something more in the medium-bore range. I've made up my mind to get a Ruger Hawkeye standard 30-06 rebored to 35 whelen. It seems that is going to cost anywhere from $250-$325 or z-hat will do it in 358 hawk for $375. Does that sound about right?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    .458 Winchester Mag. Use .45 pistol bullets for practicing and the occaisional deer, and begin working into the heavier projectiles as the size of the game increases.

45 Pistol bullets are .451-.452. They might be just a tad loose in the barrel. Might sound kind of cool though listening to them rattle down the barrel.