Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Moose

Thumbs down Illegal Moose

How many of you have wittnessed illegal moose kills this fall?Personally
    in one week worth of moose hunting I have seen 2 bulls taken that didn't
    meet the requirements of 50inches or 4 brow tines.We were on both bulls at less than 200yds...pulled back after agreeing they were two small only to
    witness 3 guys on 9 horses stalk a shoot a bull that was 45-47".Follow that
    the next day when two guys,one wearing a red addias sweat shirt and blue
    jeans, killed the other bull that couldn't have taped 46".The area we hunt is pretty tough to get into so reporting to the troopers was not an option.Yes we did get our moose so it's not a jealous thing just discouraging to see.A
    good spotting scope yields no privacy.Congrats on everyone success this
    year...great website.

Default troopers are always the option...

"The area we hunt is pretty tough to get into so reporting to the troopers was not an option"

thats why they employ super cubs for planes they can land anywhere....

They also have helicopters. If you don't report it it will keep happening! If you hunt and you see some thing illegal, happen report it. Congrats on your sucessful hunt.

I imagine there are tons of illegal moose either snuck out at night or left in the field, it is inevitable with antler restrictions.

report and/or go over and talk to the guys who shot it, take a couple pics, act excited have them tape out the moose with you act like its a great thing they did, you pat an idiot on the back and out come the stories. walk over there and make sure they know someone knows what they did.that way you actually have proof they were under 50 rather than a "i'm sure they were under 50" it wouldn't suprise me troopers get a million calls like that this time of year.
    congrats on YOUR bulls for sure though!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default You can and should always report them

There is no reason you can't report them. Just because you may not have a way until you head out, you can report them when you get back to town. You just need some identifying information (names, descriptions, PICTURES are always good, equipment description, GPS location of the kill, etc...). By not reporting these guys, you might as well tell them to go do it again next year.

Be careful if you do approach them though, because if you make it known that you will report them, you never know how people will react. Once they know that there is a lot on the line once you get back to town, there is the potential that they could make it very hard on you until then. When losing many thousands of dollars worth of equipment is on the line, some people will do a lot of things you wouldn't think to be reasonable.

Good advice BRWNBR.Thanks for the reply.Taking time to walk 1-1/2 miles to the kill site didn't seem like an option as we had not had a bull down.However in hind site maybe we should have.These incidents happened early in the hunt
    and the parties were gone the next day so maybe we should have handled it differently.Outside of that great hunt.

Default pretty fine line

until you throw a tape on it you really can't tell if it was 50" or say 46", that's just too close a call to make through a spotting scope at 200 yards

all it takes is one tine to shoot out a couple inches on each side (and they don't have to be directly opposite each other)

but I agree, if you think they broke the law call the troopers and have them throw down the tape

Where we hunted this year there were 5 groups that were busted for shooting illegal bulls, my bet is that there were more than that taken that were taken out at night.

Default Reports

The Trooper reports have illegal kills almost every day now. Some have been pretty bad. 36", 42" and so on and even a cow. Bad thing is that the majority of the reports have been made against Alaskans.

How about this. A 27" spike fork mistake????

Type: Take Sub-legal Moose

Text: On 9-19-07 A 31 YOA from Kasilof, came into the
    Soldotna Office of the Alaska Wildlife Troopers to turn himself in for
    shooting a sub-legal bull moose. Suspect shot a 27" bull moose near 7
    mile of the Kenai-Spur Highway on 9/18/07 at approximately 1730 hours.
    Suspect stated that he though the moose was a "spike-fork". The antler
    configuration on the moose did not meat the Spike, fork, 50" or 3 brow
    tine requirement.

(Text edited to protect shooter)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

dude report to troopers they are always flying all over the state
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Newsflash goalie.........supercubs can't land anywhere. The troopers who THINK that they can have wrecked 2 cubs this fall (I'll provide a link to NTSB reports if needed).
    Monkey........the troops aren't ALWAYS flying all over the state. There's only so many officers who are pilots and so many planes.............which as of early sept. is 2 less.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

buddy of mine called the troopers up near mile 90 on the glenn for some non residents that rented a car and shot a moose right off the road..easy ticket. it was 2 weeks and then the troopers called them back and started to ask questions.
    If my buddy had went over and helped the guys, got a license plate number off the rental car or helped them pack it out and get some pictures, they'd have been able to nail those guys two weeks later. gotta get some evidence for them to chase people down, otherwise its a waste of trooper time.

Don't tell them your reporting them, just let them know that filling the freezer everything and it was a great shot or whatever, act like them, not like a cop..geez lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I didnt witness any, but I am amazed at the number of moose each year people shoot sublegal. The recent trooper reports are filled. 20A appears to be reduced to a shoot first, measure and turn it in if you are short. (If thats were this happened the guys may have turned themselves in). For a couple hundred dollars they get to harvest a trophy moose and dont even have to pay for the processing! I think the penalties are way too low. Sure a few guys wouldnt then turn themselves in with higher fines, but maybe a lot more would think and even err on the side of caution if the fine wasnt so small. Raising the traffic fines out to Girdwood apparently really decreased the number of speeders...Just a thought.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I came across a dead cow moose ,maybe dead a week or so. Dont no if its was a illegal kill or not.But I thought to myself ,,what a waste of meat.Didnt see any bullet holes on the side i could see.Nothing has even hit the carcass yet,,cept the maggots.Was out this morning ,,and the breeze was coming up the hill,,what a stench.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    until you throw a tape on it you really can't tell if it was 50" or say 46", that's just too close a call to make through a spotting scope at 200 yards
    My sentiments as well!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The Trooper reports have illegal kills almost every day now. Some have been pretty bad. 36", 42" and so on and even a cow. Bad thing is that the majority of the reports have been made against Alaskans.

How about this. A 27" spike fork mistake????

Type: Take Sub-legal Moose

Text: On 9-19-07 A 31 YOA from Kasilof, came into the
    Soldotna Office of the Alaska Wildlife Troopers to turn himself in for
    shooting a sub-legal bull moose. Suspect shot a 27" bull moose near 7
    mile of the Kenai-Spur Highway on 9/18/07 at approximately 1730 hours.
    Suspect stated that he though the moose was a "spike-fork". The antler
    configuration on the moose did not meat the Spike, fork, 50" or 3 brow
    tine requirement.

(Text edited to protect shooter)
    This guy learned a lesson at least and instead of trying to get away with it, did the right thing and turned himself in. I'll bet he will look a lot longer and harder next time ...probably a good guy in the long run, just one that made an excited and (dumb) mistake. Probably inexperienced. If it were me, I'd cut the fine in half but still fine him. I'd charge full-rate for reimbursing the state for salvage costs. He'd end up paying around $900-$1000 instead of $1300-$1400. Pretty expensive no-meat hunt either way.

Brian

Default Wildlife Safeguard

There is always the Wildlife Safeguard option as well. As of late, more rewards have been issued in the past six months than the last 4 years due to reporting violations and sucessful convictions

Stuff like that makes me sick. I passed up on 4 nice bulls this year. 2 of which looking back I know for sure were over 50". When I say passed up I don't mean saw them a mile away and let them go. Both were in shooting distance with the cross hairs on them. It just scares me to shoot a 2 X 2 brower when 50" can be so hard to judge sometimes.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Forks

Sometimes the moose that you were sure was a fork has a 1" ticker that gets counted. I know a guy the shot a moose that was a fork in the scope and when he had it checked by F&G they measured a little ticker that was at the base of the antlers that was 1". He got busted for an illegal moose sometimes it's just good people that made the same call anyone would have made and it turned out bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast