Thread: Homer Halibut

Question Homer Halibut

I have to make a Homer run tomorrow and am thinkinh I might as well drag the boat down.
    Is anybody still hitting the halibut? I am thinking of Flat Island or off of Anchor Point in the troughs.

Any reports
    Thanks!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Plenty of halibut around. Mostly chicks. Big ones seem to be far and few these days.

I hope your boat is big....Small Craft advisory today with 25kt wind and 7 footers. Supposed to settle down somewhat to 15kt NW tomorrow.

Thanks, I am watching the weather myself. If I don't take the boat it will be beautiful and calm. Seven footers are a bit much, but 4 footers are doable.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up The report...

Saturday dawned clear and brisk. The chop built on the way out and by the time we got to the compass rose it was 2-3 foot. We fished hard, 4 rods for about 3 hours. We brought in 4 fish and kept 2 of them, about 15#.
    We then ran over to Flat Island and it was calm and smooth as the tide peaked. We hit it hard there for another few hours and kept another 2 fish.
    The sand sharks were thick. I have never caught as many as this year. I never used to see them at all out there.
    On the way back in the relay that controls the outdrive trim decided it would fully lift the out drive. I was cruising along at 3200 RPMs and suddenly the engine pitch changed, the attitude of the boat was changing and when I looked back off of the stern there was water shooting in the air. After shutting the boat down and then turning the key, I could hear the trim motor was constantly running.
    It took a bit to figure out the culprit and by switching some connectors we were soon off and running. I hit the Pogi rip on the way back in and never got a bite.
    All in all another great day to be alive! Might try Seward next weekend if the weather cooperates. Any new Seward reports?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up The report...

Saturday dawned clear and brisk. The chop built on the way out and by the time we got to the compass rose it was 2-3 foot. We fished hard, 4 rods for about 3 hours. We brought in 4 fish and kept 2 of them, about 15#.
    We then ran over to Flat Island and it was calm and smooth as the tide peaked. We hit it hard there for another few hours and kept another 2 fish.
    The sand sharks were thick. I have never caught as many as this year. I never used to see them at all out there.
    On the way back in the relay that controls the outdrive trim decided it would fully lift the out drive. I was cruising along at 3200 RPMs and suddenly the engine pitch changed, the attitude of the boat was changing and when I looked back off of the stern there was water shooting in the air. After shutting the boat down and then turning the key, I could hear the trim motor was constantly running.
    It took a bit to figure out the culprit and by switching some connectors we were soon off and running. I hit the Pogi rip on the way back in and never got a bite.
    All in all another great day to be alive! Might try Seward next weekend if the weather cooperates. Any new Seward reports?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up The report...

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Might have to give it one more shot down there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK