Thread: Caribou hunt in Kotzebue

Default Caribou hunt in Kotzebue

3 of us just returned from Kotzebue on a successful Caribou hunt. 6 days and 6 nice Caribou. Northern Air Trophy was on the money with our placement North of Kotzebue in the Squirrel River drainage. Walt from Northwestern Alaska Rentals handeled our equipment. We had winds over 75mph on Thursday and the Cabela's tent held like a champ. Beautiful country, great company and nice animals. Both companies used were top notch and highly reccomended from my experience. We saw over 400 'bou in the week. We plan on going back next year for a DIY moose hunt.

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Congrats On a Successful Hunt!

What type of Rifle you use? 400 'bou & only one?

Default kotz

.338---------------just waiting for the right animals. Naturally most were a mile or 2 away
    Problem was when we finally found the right animals we killed them 3 miles away from the camp----4 big bulls and 3 miles makes for a He>> of a hike for a day and a half

RC

Default Heat

Did you have any meat spoilage with the warm weather?

Glad you had a successful hunt and a great time; it doesn't get any better than that.

Dave

Default Caribou

No meat spoilage------we used the Citric Acdid mix from Indian Valley meats as a coat for the meat, we cut Alder branches and laid the meat on top and covered it loosely with a tarp. We held the tarp down on 2 sides with rocks to let the wind blow under and keep the meat cool turning it every day. I was supprised when we had ZERO flies and other happy biting bugs. The weather was in the 50's but cloudly and windy so it worked out well. I cut the meat myself and like it to be ages at least 8 days before I butcher it down to steaks and roasts.
    It was a great hunt and great companionship (which can make an average hunt perfect at times) Again, Walt from Northwestern is a 100% prince. He called 3 days before arrival, was there when we landed at Kotz. airport and helped us load up with our transporter and we only rented a kitchen and tent! He went WAY beyond the call of duty.
    I would reccomend a .300 or larger up there as there is alot of Brown bear activity even though we only saw one. Otherwise I would have taken my old widowmaker from days gone by--- .270

RC

Default Wow, I wish I was there

I was there in 2002. I am ready to go again. We hunted in the Squirrel River in '02. Your pictures look like the area we were in. Was the airplane landing strip a shale runway on the edge of a cliff overlooking squirrel river? Just curious if we were in the same place. We killed 4 and saw around 3000. I tried to call your outfitter yesterday to talk turkey on the trip. I think that the price that they list is pretty reasonable. Our biggest surprise on the trip was the logistic of getting rid of the scrap and bones, etc. after i sat in the hanger boning meat for 8 hours. You can't just drive out of town and get rid of the trimmins.

rushcreekoutdoor

Default Kotz

We were East of the S.R about 10 miles on a very small creek---------NAT let us use a friends garage to de-bone the meat, they took the bones. Great deal. I would assume that they are still busy is the reason they are hard to reach. Great trip, the "runway" was a gentle sloping E/W ridge top, we set up camp about 150 yds South of the runway. I am looking to use them for a moose hunt next fall already, when we flew out Matt (owner of NAT) and I saw 12 BIG bulls West of the S.R. 1 was the biggest I had ever seen, that bull and a smaller one were squaring off with a cow close to them watching. Cool scene!

RC