Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's my 07' D.I.Y Moose...

Default Here's my 07' D.I.Y Moose...

This is my first moose. It was a fantastic hunt, incredible experience; grunted him in from about 3/4 of a mile, and came to me like he was on a string. My partner watched the entire episode unfold from on the top of the mountain that we spotted him from. I raced down the mountain, crossed the river, ran to the next river (grunting all the while) and got him to come right to me. Dispatched him with the .375H&H. Beautiful scenery and lots of game w/ a plethora of brown bears thrown in. Don't go without the Helly Hanson Impertech and goretex waders w/ good boots. Tested out my new Barney's pack, and really liked it. I'm now addicted to Alaska Moose hunting! Can't wait to do it with my bow!
    Regards, Todd

AK 07 106.jpg

Default Nice Bull

Welcome to the addiction... Really nice bull.

Steve

Wow, that looks like a really old bull, congrats on a dang nice moose!!

Wow, what a big one

Default nice bull

Nice bull, how big was he?

Nice bull!! Congrats to you.

Default nice moose

That sure looks like an old one with the rounded off palms! CONGRATS!

That is one heck of a bull!!!! Congratulations. J.

Talking Holy!

What Sub GMU you get that one in?

& Do It Yourself? Sounds like moose hunting is Journey Man's work...

That's an awesome moose! Congrats!

Awesome moose. Congrats.

Sheesh, I must be hunting in the wrong areas. Not much time this year, I've only been out for three day hunts, but twice I didn't see a single animal and the other time it was all cows.

I'm jealous!

Default wow

I would have liked to seen that bull in its prime. That's called an ex- boone and crockett bull

Default cool

i bet you were glad to have that new pack. how much did you haul at a time? was that barney's pack worth the money? awesome bull.

Very nice moose. Congrats
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

Totally awesome! Congrats on very nice trophy!

Thumbs up

outfreaking standing........congrats!

Bone-
    Thanks for the comments. Above all, it was a great hunt. I hauled between 90lb's + and 110lb's+ on my new Barney's frame and pack. GET THIS PACK FRAME! I know it's expensive, yet it didn't seem to flex a bit, riding on my hips very well. I hauled my meat in thin canvas game bags (moose sized), then dropped them into a thick plastic bag, then into my pack. Last year I had bought a Mystery Ranch NICE pack, and helped my buddy haul his moose with that. Great pack, for packing, but for my 6'1" 192lb frame, it just druuuuuuuug too much on my ass (I could have sworn my rear-end was dragging on the round after a mile). This Barneys frieghter frame is absolutely awesome. Although hauling a 100Lb's+ is not easy, it made it much "easier" for me. I'll save my Mystery Ranch pack for pure packing...Kind Regards, Todd

so how big?

GoGoalie-
    Thanks for the comments...It was a DIY hunt, 2 of us, and I owe a GREAT deal to my partner who hung in there with me. He's a veteran of such expeditions, and knows what amount of equipment to allocate to the trip, as well as a great database of moose info. I could not have done this without his help. I think we make a good partnership; we don't agree on everything, but respect each others opinions, and get any task completed that mother nature throws at us. No time for panicking when nature throws you a curve ball, eh? On a DYI, we have no idea where the game is, and have to use our topo's to "guess" where they'll come from. But let's face it, funnels are funnels (just a lot larger in Alaska!). I don't have to go into the hiking and climbing effort, as well as the hours upon hours of glassing w/ a stiff north wind and rain in your face-I'm sure you know this well. But, man it is absolutely one of the top hunts I've been on...I LOVE ALASKA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast