Thread: Which 10mm?

Default Which 10mm?

My brother and I have been looking into getting some semi-auto handguns and after a quick look at ballistics looks like 10mm is the way to go. What is everyones preference for make/model. I've always heard good things about the Glock 20, but wanted to know other opinions. Also, being left handed, who acommodates us for a LH safety? Any and all info. Thanks!!

Default Kimber

You can get a Kimber Eclipse in 10mm, and have an ambi safety added. Another option is a Dan Wesson. Colt Delta Elite? Can you tell I like 1911 style pistols?
    Smith used to make a model also, 1006 was the #

Default Slim pickin's...

The 10 mm has been treated like a red headed step child snce the 40 S&W arrived on the scene and as a result it's loss of popularity, there are very few guns made for it. This is unfortunate for such a fine round. It has very impressive ballistics and will out muscle the 45 ACP with some loads. It is more difficult to master due to the recoil and that of course is the reason for it not being popular. Then since they don't sell much 10 mm ammo, the ammo is more expensive also, reducing the popularity further. Glock still makes the model 20 and I think Kimber and Springfield still make 1911 style pistols for the ten. I have used a Glock for some time and it is a highly functional and reliable, butt ugly duckling of a pistol. It is also large but not heavy. Not something you can hide in your sock. If you are 1911 experienced and don't mind the price, the custom gun route may be the best.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 10mm 45 ACP

Murph,

Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead with the 45 ACP over the 10mm since the ballistics are simialr to the 10mm and much more popular.

If I wanted a powerful handgun in a 1911 package I would buy a good old .45 and order a conversion kit in .460 Rowland.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

That's a 230 gr slug advertised at 1350fps. It seems like a good idea! Does anyone here have firsthand experience with this kit?

if you want to spend the dough Wilson Combat will build a 1911 style one for you. There is even one on Gunbroker.com right now. Wish I had that kind of money and my better half would let me spend it on another pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Murph,

Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead with the 45 ACP over the 10mm since the ballistics are simialr to the 10mm and much more popular.
    Yeah Murph,

Ballistics being similar, whadda ya think. Everyone and their grandma makes a 45 ACP. As far as recoil, i'm used to shooting S&W .44 MAG revolver...similar or worse to the 10? I agree the Glock is butt-ugly, clunky looking and large, but like you've said, from what I've heard they are VERY reliable and pretty tough.

Also, not wanting to fork over copius amounts of cash on a gun like this, would just "dealing" with a gun that doesn't have an ambi option OK?

Murph, I have to disagree about your 10mm assessment. With Double Tap factory loads, my Glock 20 is launching 200 grain bullets at 1300 FPS with 722FPE at the muzzle. That is far superior to the .45 ACP and more inline with low-end .41 Magnum offerings. Ammo has not been that hard to find for me at stores and there is always Double Tap and BB. There are plenty of other manufacturers that produce pistols for this round as well, including Wilson Combat, which is specifically awesome for this round. EAA Witness is another one other than those you mentioned.

As for cost, yes, it is expensive, but all ammo is getting more expensive these days. I don't yet reload, but it would certainly help those interested in the fine 10mm round.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The 10 mm has been treated like a red headed step child snce the 40 S&W arrived on the scene and as a result it's loss of popularity, there are very few guns made for it. This is unfortunate for such a fine round. It has very impressive ballistics and will out muscle the 45 ACP with some loads. It is more difficult to master due to the recoil and that of course is the reason for it not being popular. Then since they don't sell much 10 mm ammo, the ammo is more expensive also, reducing the popularity further. Glock still makes the model 20 and I think Kimber and Springfield still make 1911 style pistols for the ten. I have used a Glock for some time and it is a highly functional and reliable, butt ugly duckling of a pistol. It is also large but not heavy. Not something you can hide in your sock. If you are 1911 experienced and don't mind the price, the custom gun route may be the best.

Flint, gotta agree w/ ya from the charts I was looking at. Here's what I've got but then again, I'm no expert

45 Auto Ballistics (couldn't quite get the whole chart, but ya get the jist)

10mm Ballistics

I am looking at energy at 50 yds and it seems to be that the 10 beats the 45 in most cases. Charts from http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Murph,

Yes definately. So many more guns from which to choose plus more ammo availability.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yeah Murph,

Ballistics being similar, whadda ya think. Everyone and their grandma makes a 45 ACP. As far as recoil, i'm used to shooting S&W .44 MAG revolver...similar or worse to the 10? I agree the Glock is butt-ugly, clunky looking and large, but like you've said, from what I've heard they are VERY reliable and pretty tough.

Also, not wanting to fork over copius amounts of cash on a gun like this, would just "dealing" with a gun that doesn't have an ambi option OK?
    The Glock is certainly ambidextrious. I have no issues with it except it is ugly and clunky. It is a very reliable piece. I have one. It is large but well balanced for the horse power of the caliber. Ammo for the 10 is expensive. There is nothing wrong with the caliber, just not popular. But the 45 is more practical from the logistics view point.

Hunt _ak -

Go to this link and check out the ballistics on Double Tap factory ammunition. The site offers more options and the best 10mm factory ammo available in my opinion. The owner is a 10mm enthusiast and started this company specifically around the 10mm but has since grown into many other arenas as well.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Flint, gotta agree w/ ya from the charts I was looking at. Here's what I've got but then again, I'm no expert

45 Auto Ballistics (couldn't quite get the whole chart, but ya get the jist)

10mm Ballistics

I am looking at energy at 50 yds and it seems to be that the 10 beats the 45 in most cases. Charts from http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

I currently have a dan wesson 10mm. Its Is a very nice gun. One of the better 1911's for sure. Mine is loaded to the hilt with features and I paid under 800 for it brand new.

Its super accurate. Clay pidgeons are no problem at 50 yards. Even a 100 yards is not too difficult.

Recoil I dont think is bad at all. Its stout, but not a hinderence. But then again I shoot alot of 454 a 460 S&W.

I did have a compact glock in 10mm, recoil from that was worse to deal with than the 1911. course lack of grip length and weight was a factor with that. Uncle ted shoots his glock 10mm pretty nice though.

Ammo is kind of a pain yes, but at the gun shows just pick up a can or so from the ammo smith guy from soldotna. Or CCI blazer for 22.00 a box or american eagle. get a small reloading outfit and load up 50 or 100 rounds of hunting/self defense ammo.

I experimented with the 460 rowland. I had it on a kimber. That is a whackin round there! I liked it, but did not like the added stress of having to reload for it all the time, and keeping track of all that expensive brass. Not to mention, it probably beats the crap outta your gun.

I sold that one, wouldnt mine getting it back though as it definatley had a coolness factor to it.

I like the 10mm round. Its seems inherently accurate, good power, pretty flat trajectory.

Get the Dan wesson pointman 7 in 10mm, you wont be sorry

Red face 10mm

If you do not mind the feel of the Glock, then I believe that the glock is a good choice. I have one that I have carried for over 10 years. Yes it is a little on the heavy side but it is nice to know that it is there. I carry one 15 round mag with 180 Corbon(sp?) rounds, in the gun and one 10 round mag on my belt. The only thing I do not like is not being able to use cast bullets in the Glock barrel. It has been an easy round to load for so have fun and shoot it a LOT.

I just picked up an EAA Witness in 10mm yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    I've always been a 1911 guy but can't afford a top end (price wise) gun right now. I really like the feel of the Witness & I like the option of carrying it cocked-n-locked or hammer down for DA on the 1st round.
    Overall seems to be a quality gun for the price.
    There is an ambi. safety available for it at additional cost (aftermarket?).
    If you want to use it DA on the 1st shot the safety may not be a big issue for you.
    For a lefty the Glock may be the way to go.
    Flintlock, is anyone in the city carrying (for sale) DoubleTap?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

No, not that I have found. I had to order it online and the company owner gave a shipping discount instead of shipping free because it was going to Alaska. At any rate, the ammo is superb, albeit a little steep in cost. The service was great and the owner was responsive to e-mail and answered any questions.

This is the load I like to carry... http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...products_id=39

Also, check out this other forum on the 10mm.. http://www.10mmtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I just picked up an EAA Witness in 10mm yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    I've always been a 1911 guy but can't afford a top end (price wise) gun right now. I really like the feel of the Witness & I like the option of carrying it cocked-n-locked or hammer down for DA on the 1st round.
    Overall seems to be a quality gun for the price.
    There is an ambi. safety available for it at additional cost (aftermarket?).
    If you want to use it DA on the 1st shot the safety may not be a big issue for you.
    For a lefty the Glock may be the way to go.
    Flintlock, is anyone in the city carrying (for sale) DoubleTap?

Thanks Flintlock.
    Without the concerns that Glock has about cast I may try their 200 gr cast for the extra speed, or more likely the 230 cast.
    I do reload so if I can find a good bullet source I'll likely go that way.
    And I already have that site bookmarked!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 1006 S&w

I picked one up this spring. Have not shot a bunch, but recoil does not seem too bad to me, and I do not care for lots of recoil. No problems to report with the gun at all. Disassembly is easy to clean and care for it. Not sure about the ambi safety. Have to go out and take a look at her.
    I do have several boxes of reloads that are too long. Guess I'll have to look for somebody with that 10mm revolver and make a trade as I do not reload yet.
    It does cost more to shoot than other guns, but I knew that going in so don't just accept it. With the price increases in effect, I might be getting more serious about reloading.

I have a Glock Model 20C. The ported barrel really cuts down on recoil. I was warned when I first got it that ported barrells can ruin night vision and gas can hit you in the face. I can not vouch for loosing night vision but I have shot thousands of rounds through mine and had nothing hit me in the face.

I've got the Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander, and I love it.

If anyone wants to do a group order for Double Tap, let me know. I'm always looking for ways to cut down the shipping prices....

And Rimfirematt, if you decide you really do want to sell that Pointman, let me know, I'll buy it. I'm looking for a full size.