Thread: DM788 - Meat Quality in mid October?

Question DM788 - Meat Quality in mid October?

I was wondering what peoples opinion was of the moose meat quality in early to mid October? I am looking at hunting my DM788 permit in or around the 2nd week of October, but don't want to waste my time if the meat is going to be poor. I have heard things about poor caribou meat quality during this period, but not specific to moose. Keep in mind that this is an antlerless permit, so most likely will be a cow (unless I can get lucky and the first couple of shots knock off the antlers of that 60" bull....).

I appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Default No change

I can see no reason there would be a difference in the quality of the meat. It will really cool off a lot quicker, no bugs and you may have snow to lay the meat out on. Should be great.

It has to be a cow in that unit. If you possess a DM788 tag you may not take a bull in the FMU.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default You sure about the "cow" thing"

The DM788 permit specifically states that it is an "antlerless" permit, not a "cow" permit. I am going to double check with F&G to make sure I am interpreting it correctly before hunting, but I would take that as meaning that if there happens to be an antlerless bull hanging around (wouldn't expect it that time of year unless it was a calf which I am not interested in) it would fall into the legal category.

Default Yes

Yes it is antlerless. You were speaking tongue-in-cheek and I missed it. Also it used to give an age limit and could not be with cow with a calf. I see that is no longer on it too.

I cut a finger tip off this morning but my release seems to hold the bandage on pretty good so I am headed up!. I can still shoot. Can't type worth a hoot...

Default Good luck

Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully the finger won't cause any problems. Keep that well protected if/when you are cleaning the animal.

As for me, I have been going nuts reading about everyone else hunting and I am here stuck at work still waiting to even start. Last year, my hunt that I looked forward to all year ended up lasting an hour when I had a suicidal moose walk up to me and beg to be shot (Ft. Rich hunt). I was back home with the meat hanging by dinner time. So much for having a few days away from everyone out in the woods...can't complain too much since I did get my animal.

Something like that happens again this year, I think I will just head north on the haul road and keep hunting for boo just to extend the trip a bit.

Default moose in fairbanks

The hunting around fairbanks is getting better, unfortunately i see only bulls like the one tonight 15 feet from my truck, i cant seem to find a cow. i bet if i didnt have a permit i would only see cows hahahahhahahh. anyhow i know alot of good areas were i see moose PM me and we can talk.

well...where are you finding those bulls. I did find a couple of cows....might be a good trade Oh, you will have to get out and hike a little for them though.....you cannot drive the area.

Default Back

I just got back. The ground was freezing up so everything that had water in it crunched and every puddle was frozen over sounding like walking on glass. Nothing on Sat., two areas. Someone took all the archery only signs down over a Chena Lakes and took all the maps.

Third area, lots of sign but no moose. Found out it was private land as I was leaving. Someone tore the sign down and could not see it laying on the ground driving in. Fourth area I spotted two cows (maybe an imature bull). I stalked from 400 yards to about 60 before I ran out of vegatation. Maybe should of put the bow up as antlers and pretended to be a bull. But 60 was too far to be ethical in the fading light.

Monday, walked and walked. Lots of sign in the area but still like walking on glass. Found a frozen over bog with a bottom deeper than my right leg. Took about 3 hours for the foot to warm the water up. Thankfully only one leg went in. Sat at the end of the meadow where I saw the two previously for four hours in a ground blind. Heard something walk through maybe 50 yards behind me but too thick to see anything in that direction. Nothing else.

Tuesday......rain, rain,..... turned into a shopping and travel day. Road scouting but nothing.

Trad. Was hunting the area your showed me two years ago. The A frames have a sign now Private Property. I hunted on Sun. about a mile before there.

Dave,

I could have told you that if you would have emailed. I also had a cow lined up for you, she was coming out pretty regularly, but again, no email so I passed it on to a buddy. He did go out and she was there that nite, his freezer is full.

I'm suprised Scott didnt get you on FWA Proper, there is usually a few cows around.

The land behind the Aframes was posted 2 years ago. I know the person who posted it, and he did so without talkign to the ohter land owners. YOu can still hunt in some areas back there. He's tired of the slobs, as could be understood, he's also a grouchy bowhunting hater sob. Seems like I keep repeating myself in this area, been fighting over bowhunter ed lately and talking about fishing areas, and that always seems to come up......"the area is now posted"....."yes it is, go ask permission, they'll give it to you if you ask, they are tired of the trash and slobs"!!!! Expect to see more 'no trespass' sings in the future!!! Go bang on doors....just dont bang on the last door at the T to the right, all the way at the end on the left hand side, he might shoot you off his property, he hates bowhunters. I'm sure you can guess who put the signs up. There is a dentist that owns part of the big swamp at the end and she''ll gladly let you hunt it. She owns enough land to make it worth while. Nice people to just chat with to boot. Heck most of them back there are!!! I havent hunted that area in a couple of years now, basically once the signs went up, I got tired of dealing with the idiot back there. The rest of the people are really nice but the area doesnt have a lot of bulls. It does have cows though and if I was a cow tag holder I'd really consider getting permission for as much of the property as I can!

As the fairbanks community continues to rapidly expand.....be more and more aware of the land you're walking onto. Most of the land is owned whether it's marked or it isnt. It would be hove people to get out and take the time to meet and talk to the landowners. Tresspassing charges are a slap to the individuals face who commited the offense. No hunting signs and people denying access is slap in the face of everyone who uses the resource!

I still have more areas however dont plan on going out anymore this fall. If I hear of a cow I'll gladly pass it along to someone who can use it. My buddy is on a couple of bulls on most evenings so I dont want to hunt the same area which leaves me without quick access areas. The nordale peede road ext is now barricaded so you cannot get back to what we call "sherwood forest", without a 4 wheelr. Which I dont have, which makes it to dang far to be humping a moose out of (miles). I do have another area and it's quite large and the people greatfully still allow hunting if you ask (and most people dont even know the area is in the management area), however it's so big it's not something you can do in a couple of hours.....You're better off taking the hole day to hunt it.

Dave, the Chena river float is a pretty decent gig if you hold a cow tag. There is a portion of the river (albeit small), that they like to cross and seems to be a fairly high use area....compared to the other 99% of the river where there are very very few moose around. You'll see it if you look for it. I really can't tell you how to get there, so I wont attept too....just pay attn, you'll it. There are a few bulls around but they are far and few between....I've never seen one, my partner has shot a couple in the area over the last handful of years.....so they are there. Either way, this is one spot you'll have to find on your own.

I also have the maps you asked for about the haul road on another thread. I can't remember what else you asked for, but I probably have that too LOL. Ya just gotta commit to coming over and getting it. Suprised ya didnt stop in when you were here.....I am still off till sunday, then back to work.

Expect the area to get smaller and smaller..... I was suprised to see 2 of my areas that I really liked to hunt and havent shown a sole, to be build up with houses. And not just one or two houses....instead of one right after anohter!!!!

Lastly, as the area starts freezing up, it's definatly going to be harder and harder to walk up to a cow and get the deed done. These animals act more like whitetials then moose. Treat them likewise and you'll find your cow.

Default Almost

I almost did not make it as I cut a finger tip off. I could still shoot so came up anyways. Phone book, long underware and a few things got left behind.

Glad your friend taged out. I will too in time. Three personal days and 70+ sick days can make it happen.

Scott was rafting down near Ruby for 12 days moose hunting. I was in his area of expertiese..... that is where I got close to the cows. And fell through the muck up to my right hip.

I forgot about the maps. Next time. Need to make post-its and put them on the dash. I did get the new snowgo windshield :^D And saved $60 on wood stains for the school shop.

I do have a 4-wheeler and a Scanoe.........even a plane if I need it next time.

Never surrender! I will be back up.