Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits

Question Rabbits

Anyone have a decent place to check out for bunnies this year?
    Thanks.

Default What area??

Do you live, I concentrate on the willow patches here in the interior and from what I see so far they are on an upswing so there should be plenty to keep the old 22 barrel warm.

Default Bunnies

I'm in Eagle River but am willing to travel to wherever
    they're thick.
    Thanks.

Default rabbits

I live in Fairbanks so I can't give you any info for the eagle river area but I heard they were pretty thick out towards delta last year and there's quite a few around here as well, like I said earlier I concentrate my efforts on the willow thickets and it never fails so once the snow flies get out and walk the willows and look for tracks and trails and then you'll know if there's rabbits around..................

Thanks.
    I've always wanted to check out that area anyway.

Default winter

just wait till winter. when all the bogs and swamps freeze.then head out to the palmer hay flats. i'm not saying to much more then palmer hay flats. took me and a buddy a whole winter to find this spot. but there is a lot of rabbit and country to find yrou own. but we will usually see at least a couple. and only a few occasions did we not get anything. best we with 2 people was 8 in like 4 hours. rabbit slough has had goos sign as well.

I've been there.
    You're right.
    You can get a few.
    I got spoiled from the "old days" when Glenallen was full of them.
    I haven't seen one up there in probably 7 years.
    The old 7 year cycle I guess.
    Thanks.

Default glen allen was great

i used to go up to that area for a winter hunt/camping trip with my old man every year. the rabbits were insane u could get as many as u wanted. never seen so many rabbits in one area. the flats are pretty good though it all depends on the day. if your willing to put in the effort u can pull your limit. just make sure u go in a little further. was not unusual for my buddy and i to cover 7-10 miles in a day. not much in the way of spruce hen thouhg. been seeing more out at point mack seen more this year then i have in the last couple the cycle must be on the up swing.

try around that knik river acces area. rabbit slough, around that old powerhouse off the old glen. Saw a bunch off the knik river acces, inlet side today.

Its real thick, leaves are still on and the grass is tall. Gonna be hard to spot right now. Wait till the leaves are off. If there isnt any snow, they should be easy to spot in october.

I saw a bunch today cause we run beagles. And they never really seemed to be with out a track to follow. should be a good year!

Is anything in the anchorage area? There was about a family of 10 in my area two years ago, supposidly a fox came in and ate em

Quote Originally Posted by Fish/Hunt ON View Post
    I've been there.
    You're right.
    You can get a few.
    I got spoiled from the "old days" when Glenallen was full of them.
    I haven't seen one up there in probably 7 years.
    The old 7 year cycle I guess.
    Thanks.
    Rabbits are on a 10 year cycle and they are NOT at the peak of the cycle yet, but seem to be on the upswing. If you saw lots of them 7 years ago, then from now over the next 3 or 4 years it'll only get better.

Brian

try the hay flats when they freeze up, also try by beach lake but be mindful of hunting restrictions there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    try the hay flats when they freeze up, also try by beach lake but be mindful of hunting restrictions there.
    Also be mindful of the 437 other people hunting the flats!

There are a little less than a bazillion good areas available for you.

Think in terms of willows, creek beds, and swamps. There is a bunch of good hunting around the area.

We saw a "bazillion" on the Tok cut-off this August. I darn near ran over half dozen!

Tim

Default donnely dome

I keep hearing about the Donnely Dome area and south still being hot. We also see some on the AG road just past the Gerstle River.
    Some of my old Fbks spots are finally getting good again. We spotted 4 the other evening, but my dog (17 year old son) just couldn't bring them back around to me for a shot. My lab thinks it is funny when the boy plays beagle.
    The Dike from the airport to North Pole has lots of habitat, and not too difficult to get away just enoug to not see people. In that area really think about wearing hunter orange just in case somebody else is hunting.

The first 4 miles of Standard Creek (off Old Nenana) has a lot of rabbits available too.

Brian

Thumbs down I wouldn't try

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Beach Lake, being a muni park, the restrictions would be that hunting is prohibited (there are signs saying such posted all down the road as well as in the parking lot), if you doubt me feel free to call Eagle River Parks and Rec at 694-2011. It's too bad though they are all over that area

go down Knik goose bay road, take left take second right, take next left go down about 1/2 mile and hunt the old wood piles that were cut down many yesars ago and stacked up in rows. It helps to have 2 people, one on each side of the row of logs.

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    go down Knik goose bay road, take left take second right, take next left go down about 1/2 mile and hunt the old wood piles that were cut down many yesars ago and stacked up in rows. It helps to have 2 people, one on each side of the row of logs.
    I live down KGB road and that don't really tell me anything. What area are you talking about exactly?

what left do you take?

Just back from knik river acces today. Hunted the railroad track side. Got 4 in a couple of hours. White bellies and butts. They flash nicely running, but still blend in good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast