Thread: prop motor on chena and tanana

Default prop motor on chena and tanana

was wondering if it is possibly to run a fairly large jon boat with a prop motor on it on these 2 rivers i have a rock and lower unit guard from cabales and a kicker bracket attachd to my boat that the motor goes on to get it up and back from the transom so that it doesnt have to sit in any deeper then it has to

No problem on the Tanana - You see them all the time. Probably OK on the lower end of the Chena through town but above that I would hestitate. This time of year the water is normally quite low.

Default thanks

good to know thanks

Talking Running a prop

Back in the 50's they did it all the time. It's an excellent way to learn how to read a river. Especially if you learn from your mistakes. Do you have another prop?

Default Really depends on the water level

If the gauge is over 2 ft you're probably good to go a long ways upstream. There are some shallow places around the Wendell Street bridge and again as you are approaching Fort Wainwright, but upstream from that you're probably good to go for 30 miles or so w/o any problem.

You can check water level/flow here. This gauge is near the Wendell St Bridge.

the Break Away Republic of Eagle River

I've run a prop up to the Little Chena before from Pikes, the water gets skinny thats for sure. As far as the Tanana - going downstream from the Chena Confluence is not a proplem - going up will be.

I moved to a jet after i realized that i could go so many more places with one vs the Prop.

Default No problem

I live on the Tanana and have never operated an outboard jet. I did own an inboard jet for awhile though. In the villages you will rarely see a jet, fuel economy and hauling ability is important and the prop is king.

There are few places in the Tanana that have other than silt to worry about, very little rock or gravel. When you hit something there is usually no damage unless it is a tree or other solid hidden object.

You will learn to read the water, stay in the channel, follow the "boiling water", and stay away from water that is not moving or is really flat.