Thread: Head net

Default Head net

What is everyone's favorite head net?

I found my favorite net many years ago in a surplus store. I hadn't seen one like it before and haven't since. I'll describe it as a tube (elastic opening at the bottom and top) with no supporting structure or anything. This makes it very small, nice because it wads up easily in any pocket. It migrates throughout the summer from fly vest to boat gear to hunting gear etc. It works best with a boonie hat, which serves to keep the net off of the skin, but it still works ok with a ball cap.

I like it because I actually use it as face cover more than a bug net while hunting - usually I'll pull the top of the front down to where my eyes are exposed. That gives me clear vision for binos, scope, or peep sight on my bow.

Thought about finding some green noseeum netting and getting someone to make a few for me - I thought I lost it once and looked a lot of places for something similar with no luck.

For general use (like for keeping in the boat etc) the bug hats are pretty handy.

The most comfortable people I think I've seen are the ones with the bug suits - still haven't tried one of those.

Who'd have thought you could write so much about a head net.

Wink depends how desperate you are?!?!

Burlap bag will work in a desperate situation...plastic bag is the other option

The one I like best is the one I don't have, but have looked high and low for. A friend showed me his once and that did it. It is made by Columbia and is attached to a synthetic boonie hat, which is lightweight and water resistant. The fabric is noseeum and there is an adjustable elastic at the base of the neck. Oh, it tucked back into a puch in the hat too, so no worry about it getting in the way when not needed!

Thumbs up Found It!

You can check out the headnet/hat that I was referring to in my last post. It is the Mosquito Creek II Booney. I am surprised by the price because I think my buddy paid something like $50 for his. That scares me a little bit because it looks like this is a second model. Doesn't look like the net hides away anywhere and the description only says "mosquitos" not noseeums...hmmm. For $15 I'm going to pick one up!

I've been using this one for about 2 years, comes in pretty handy and you can keep it in your pocket. http://www.rei.com/product/751955

I have one that crumples up into a small nothing and can be easily carried about in a small pocket for when you need it. But I prefer wearing the type that uses a springy metal ring or two (like the REI one above) to keep it away from the face. It still folds up small enough for a pocket, but perhaps not such a small pocket.

Default military

I have and used an old military surplus and it worked great. I think I paid $15.00

Default Black...

Any net that's black...and packs small.

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    What is everyone's favorite head net?

I don't fly 4,000+ miles to see Alaska through a head net. Try Ben's around your neck, one or two sprays on the baseball cap, and a spray on each forearm. Keep the Ben's away from your mouth/eyes/sunglasses/hands/fishing line/etc... I use Ultrathon lotion on the top of my hands and ears. That usually does the trick pretty well.

However, there is no substitute for a good breeze
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default The thing about black...

is that I can see better. Fishing with green mesh headnet years ago, I couldn't see my fly line.

Danattherock - makes a good point - but keeping a headnet - stuffed in with your fly fishing or hunt gear,... something small and easy to forget about...isn't a bad idea. Once in awhile, whether its mosquitos or gnats, AK makes a headnet worthwhile.

I have no doubt that Danattherock is tough as nails, and I like to think that I'm fairly tough as well...but a couple years ago I was hunkered in the tundra waiting for a herd of caribou to walk within range. Dead calm...I could have lit a cigar one-handed. I finally grabbed the headnet after inhaling more nats than I care to remember...up my nose! It was enough that I felt like I needed to chew to swallow. And I was smoking a cigar which is usually a pretty darn fine repellent in my experience.

I keep a dark colored plain headnet handy. There are times...

WhiteFish

Well hell, since you put it that way....

Buy one of these like I did

Carried it on a few float trips, but can't bring myself to put it on (yet)...

Found these pics online. Almost identical to what I bought a few years back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21144083@N02/4770980268/

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/S2S600
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

IMO thats the perfect type Dan: small, lightweight, and a dark color.

WhiteFish

Default Outdoor Research Head Net

I am very satisfied with and highly recommend the OR headnet as a few others have also posted. It is more expensive than most but the quality/warranty on OR products is great and it can be folded up with its metal ring into a very handy size.

The metal ring does wonders for keeping the net away from the face so you can see and breathe normally--I really think this is the best option out there when you want/need to wear a headnet.

You can find it for less than the ~$18 at REI by searching the web--sites like BackCountry Edge have it for less--or buy it at the occasional REI sale.

Speaking of bugs, there is a bug shirt, hat, combo maybe made in Alaska and the folks advertise in the back of Fish Alaska magazine. Any of you goobs with real bug issues might want to check them out. Looked like a total protection kind of deal.

Default The Bug Shirt; headnet and more...

Used to be a sporting goods store in Wasilla that sold these. The Bug Shirt incorporates a hood/headnet into a shirt with mesh inserts that improve ventilation. The tightly woven cloth is impenetrable to mosquitos. In fact, watching them trying repeatedly to bite through the material is entertaining.

Years ago, we met the Glenallen/Copper River woods mosquitos - critters in that class of bugs that don't mind eating you (or your dog) alive. The Bug Shirts we bought because of that trip have worked great every time we've used them since. Drawbacks? Little spendy. And in warm weather, the shirt doesn't breathe well so you'll sweat more. More info at: http://www.bugshirt.com/diagrams.htm

Back in 2002 I bought a Bug Jacket at the Muddy Rudder restaurant in Dillingham for $10 - best $10 on gear I ever spent! It's a black mesh jacket/hood with a full zipper, light but works great. I use it when glassing on calm days, and especially when field dressing game.