Thread: Oct 08 - Location Choice

Exclamation Oct 08 - Location Choice

Hi,

Me and a Friend are planning a short 1 week trip to Alaska for October this year. We aren't trying anything too overly adventurous, but if we enjoy this half as much as expected then this will be more of a taster of things to come next year

We are looking to do this as cheap as possible so that probably means camping which is fine. (although i caught glimpse of something about state provided cabins if you can travel there? but maybe i mis understood)

The main problem is I'm struggling to make a decision on the best location. So far we are choosing between KP, Trapper Creek or Wasilla Area.

KP is looking to be little bit more expensive, but sounds like it will be worth the additional travel costs to get there.

Trapper Creek and Wasilla are both on the rail line so thats the main reason they've come into the equation. But there doesn't seem to be as much info available on the web as there is for KP

Fishing wise we will probably be looking for salmon and trout, but the main empahsis besides amazing fishing is to also catch & cook our own food for the week. (with some small game hunting if we can arrange gun hire, although we haven't yet been able to confirm if this possible)

I'm an avid fly fisherman, but my mate has done very little fly fishing before so may end up spinning or using bait .. so location should be suitable for both if it makes a difference.

Can anyone recommend a good location? We need to be able to get there relatively easily (car rental is an option and we have priced up a flight from ANC to Kenai, so flying could be an option if the price is right). But im guessing the travel side of it will fall into place more once we can decide where we want to get too!

We also originally thought of rafting along the kanai and stopping at one or two camps ... this would still be a nice option but it was the logistics of where to start, where you end and how we get home again without having to try and raft back to where we started?

many thanks for any help in advance.

Jamie.

As far as salmon fishing goes, I think you're out of luck. The season on them closed September 30. They're too spawned out anyway, Here's an Alaskan fishing time chart: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...s/pwstime.html http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/are...ai-fishing.htm

You should have good luck for trout. If you're going to be on the Kenai get yourself some flesh flies, or egg patterns and you should be able to hook into some nice rainbows.

Keep in mind the temperatures are going to average about 6 degrees Celsius during the day.

I'd advise easing into the "living off the land" idea. You might start by packing a cooler for a couple days and camping within a few miles of a road/car. Then move up to rafting down the Kenai. Wasilla would probably be a good place to start. There are plenty of world class streams in that area that produce nice trout, not to mention you'll be in town incase you don't catch dinner, there's a Wendy's.

Kodiak is your best bet for salmon in that timeframe
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The season on silvers isn't closed on the Kenai River. The fishing can be tough, but it is still possible to catch silver salmon in October on the Kenai River. As for catching your dinner, make sure you read the regulations very closely and realize that most rainbow trout fisheries are catch-and-release only. It's a nice idea, but the reality may be that you're unable to catch your dinner every day.

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely take it slowly with living off the land! The main aim is obviously to have some fun and enjoy the fishing so we had planned to carry some provisions for the days when it doesn't go to plan.

I will probably pickup a car and start at the Wasilla area, although for some reason Kenai still seems to be beckoning me.

> Keep in mind the temperatures are going to average about 6 degrees
    > Celsius during the day.

Whats the night temperatures like? Wind? Rain?

I've got a zero degree sleeping bag and a liner which im reasonably sure will keep me snug. Although we have a 4 person family type tent (rage bergen 4) ... not sure if it may be an idea to downsize to something that isn't 6ft high and maybe atleast a 3 season ... although i think it should be fine ... can always move into one of the "rooms" which is the size of a 2 man tent and with the door shut it should be a smaller area to keep warm.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_jamie View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Will definitely take it slowly with living off the land! The main aim is obviously to have some fun and enjoy the fishing so we had planned to carry some provisions for the days when it doesn't go to plan.

I will probably pickup a car and start at the Wasilla area, although for some reason Kenai still seems to be beckoning me.

> Keep in mind the temperatures are going to average about 6 degrees
    > Celsius during the day.

Whats the night temperatures like? Wind? Rain?

I've got a zero degree sleeping bag and a liner which im reasonably sure will keep me snug. Although we have a 4 person family type tent (rage bergen 4) ... not sure if it may be an idea to downsize to something that isn't 6ft high and maybe atleast a 3 season ... although i think it should be fine ... can always move into one of the "rooms" which is the size of a 2 man tent and with the door shut it should be a smaller area to keep warm.
    Jamie, stop in one of the Anchorage stores and get a Kenai Peninsula Wildlife Viewing Guide -9dollars - come on down to the Kenai and enjoy October. It will freeze at night and may even snow on you if you are near the mountains. Mid to Late October it can snow anytime.

The Swanson River canoe trail is a great trip to camp and enjoy wildlife. Trout fishing can be very good. Canoes can be rented for the trip and it is an easy trip down the river or in the canoe lake system. Fishing in the lakes can be good in October.

Also, you can raft down the Kenai River with a guide, go halibut fishing out of Homer or Seward, and of course take a tour boat out of Seward to see the Kenai Fjords glaciers. Whitter is another spot to check out.

I would rent a car and drive down - 3 hours of great views and you can check out the wildlife from the viewing guide locations. Bring a good pair of binoculars and a spotting scope if you have one.

If you want to send me a private message with questions feel free. I would not go north - getting colder and options for a great trip are less.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_jamie View Post
    Start with the Kenai area. Wasilla is a nice place to live, but based on what you've written it isn't what you're looking for. You can find good trout fishing on a few streams north of Wasilla (Willow and Montana Creeks), but otherwise the Kenai Peninsula would be a better option.

well it seems we have hit a brick wall! It appears we are going to need visa's after all ... since 9/11 because I got arrested and fined for steeling 2 pints of milk off someones doorstep when I was about 17 im not allowed entry under the normal visa waiver.

With us planning to come in about 3 weeks I can't imagine us getting the visa back in time and its probably a bit late in the year if we make it any later ... oh well, atleast I found out now and not after we booked the flights.