Thread: Delta Junction geese and cranes

Default Delta Junction geese and cranes

Anyone know if the bird hunting has picked up around Delta Junction yet? I may hook up with C&S Charters next week if the birds are there. Thanks.

Chilly I talked with them and they said usually the 3rd week on in Sep is best.And not to mention the last day for them this year is the end of Sep.I may go with them myself next week.Daniel

Default Geese

I talked to Judy Stevenson (C & S) last night, me and 2 guys are heading down in the morning, numbers are supposed to be picking up and I believe it, geese are starting to move down from fairbanks area. If you want to go next weekend you probably better be calling now, it may already be too late, we only got tomorrow because there was a cancellation. I'll try to remember to get on here Sunday and let you know how we did.

I have my reservations already for ext Saturday and as of this morning Judy said she had three blinds open for next Saturday and all five open on Sunday.
    Cant wait to hear your report as my wife is already getting excited to go.Daniel

Default Good and bad...

Talked a flock of 10 in about 45 min. after shooting time started, we got 4 and then never shot again. Weather was really good early (for huntin), then got really foggy, almost too foggy, only saw 1 other flock in the morning about noon, stuck it out til 2 then ran down the road and had a beer, came back at 4:30 and sat til 6:30-7 o'clock, saw about 5-6 flocks but the weather had cleared up and they were a mile high and not interested. Having said that, I really liked our blind and set up, it had 4 movie theatre type seats in it, good camo, and looked like 100 deek's (full body and silhouette's) for geese and a half dozen or so crane sil's. We probably should have had at least 1 crane, maybe 2. Had a couple singles come around didn't see them in time, came from behind us. All in all, had a good time, would do it again. I would think this coming weekend would be better based on bird activity around here and weather. Good luck to you! Oh wife ought to like it, pretty comfortable, oh yeah, you can drive good and close to the blinds, throw in a buddy heater/propane heater and a coffee pot, it won't be too far to haul it at all, we were wishin we had one. Take er easy.

Dude....about the drive,did you leave NP like I will in the a.m and head there? and If so how long of adrive was it for ya.Daniel

Default our hunt

A buddy and I went down yesterday. Daniel, we left North Pole at 4 AM and were in the blind at 6:30. We had a small flock of geese come in fifteen minutes before shooting hours started. Had to wait before shooting. We managed to get one when they took off. We stayed all day, saw hundreds of geese and thousands of cranes, but they were all too far away to shoot at. Probably would have done better if I could call worth a darn.
    Going back down on Sunday for the last day the blinds will be rented.

Default Driving

Daniel,
    We left at 4am also, got to the camper at C&S at 6, in the blind by 6:20-25, shooting started at 6:53 that day. Chilly sounds like you saw a lot more birds than we did, which blind were you in out of curiousity? We were in 2.
    Cody

Fishnhuntr, we started off in #1. In the afternoon, the landowner wanted to do some work in the nearby field so we had to move to blind #6. (At least I think it was #6.) Many of the cranes that we saw were flying in the last hour or so of shooting light.

Default well...

who knows might see you down there this weekend if I can get somebody to go with me, or maybe even if they don't....good luck to both of you!

Fishnhuntr,If you wanna tag along with the wife and I your more than welcome....Im on for Saturday.I had planned on leaving at 4 like ya'll said anyhow,only because I dont know exactly where to turn but Im sure I can make out.I'll pm you mt number.Daniel