Thread: Wanton Waste

Default Wanton Waste

Last weekend I was looking to fill my any bull drawing permit and I encountered a moose carcass. I surmised that it was a bull, as the skull plate was removed. Much of the meat was removed, however, the ribs were not skinned out, and the rib bones themselves were still attached to the carcass. It didn't appear as if the animal was gutted. A large roast (maybe 8 lbs or so) was cut free from the animal, but was just sitting on top of the carcass. The antlers appeared to have been removed from the field.

When I clean my animals, the ravens have some slim pickins. If I don't pack the ribs out of the field, I at least fillet the meat off the ribs, and cut the meat from between the ribs and pack it out. I do this even on sheep and goats.

It really was a shame. Those moose ribs are great cooked over a fire, Flintstone-style.

Did you report it to Troopers?

Steve, these violators come in two varieties; the resident killer and the outside trophy hunter.

Taking the ribs and an 8 lb roast would have meant throwing away something from their pack.

On one of the best deer mountains in Juneau, I often find a trash pile. The dimwits can carry tarps, backpacks, propane bottles, extra clothing, rope, pots, pans, hammocks, rope, string, and God only knows what I'm forgetting.

Once they successfully hunt, they leave the aforementioned gear behind.

I'm not sure if I should rejoice in the fact that they "took the ribs" or throw a tantrum over their mess.

A lesson to all... carry it in only if you can carry it out....don't pull the trigger unless you can carry it out WITH the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Did you report it to Troopers?
    Lab... good call. Next year I will report these nugget piles WITH PICTURES to the troopers.