Thread: Video - Field Dressing Grouse

Default Video - Field Dressing Grouse

Thought this might be helpful for some folks.

Video - Field Dressing Grouse

Tell me that video was "NOT" shot up here in Alaska. If it was, can you see 2 violations? I can.

I assume the violations you mention are shooting across or from the road. But one has to wonder say if it is private property and you shot from your road or trail, or a couple of vehicle ruts that look like a road. ??? Don't know if that would be a violation. The same type of rules are in Montana and farmers can and often do make a road anywhere, often we hunted from them but they are meerly two tracks down a wheat field. Were they roads, the farmers would say no because once we pulled a plow back into the field you would never know they were there.

Just my thoughts but I appreciate the lesson, my method seems much more slow than that shown.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I assume the violations you mention are shooting across or from the road. But one has to wonder say if it is private property and you shot from your road or trail, or a couple of vehicle ruts that look like a road. ??? Don't know if that would be a violation. The same type of rules are in Montana and farmers can and often do make a road anywhere, often we hunted from them but they are meerly two tracks down a wheat field. Were they roads, the farmers would say no because once we pulled a plow back into the field you would never know they were there.

Just my thoughts but I appreciate the lesson, my method seems much more slow than that shown.
    I can see you reasoning. But it does not look like a "field" to me and just making a observation. Private land, I would buy, but if not private land it looks like a "drivable serface". Up here in AK, a drivable serface is a ATV trail. Second if my buddy "shot twords me" at a flying bird, well, lets keep it clean, he would have a shiner. ...... The cleaning method that he show's does work, I put the wings under my feet and pull on the legs, get the same results.

Default agree w/sled dog

While I can appreciate what they were trying to convey they should edit out the 1st part. Private road or not you don't want to become accustomed to shooting on or across a road/trail. It is a bad habit that will bite you in AK & not a good tool to teach new / learning hunters. In addition not real smart to run down a road with a loaded shotgun. It would be a good video to show to in a hunters safety class & see if the students could pick out the things done right & wrong.
    Final note when cleaning this way you can also step on the wings & pull the legs up towards you , also I like to take the heart. One more piece of meat for the pan.

Dang...didn't mean to stir an uproar on the methods these hunters used in takin' the birds. Just thought this quick, easy & efficient manner of pulling out the breasts was worthy of showing.

My apologies for offendin' anyone...

Default helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    Thought this might be helpful for some folks.

Video - Field Dressing Grouse
    The video was helpful. Thanks.

Dang...didn't mean to stir an uproar on the methods these hunters used in takin' the birds. Just thought this quick, easy & efficient manner of pulling out the breasts was worthy of showing.

TruBluTex, No offense taken, and certainly wasn't trying to bash/bad mouth you in anyway shape or form. Just when you see video/picutres posted on the internet one must be careful the content. I totally agree, it's a great way to clean a grouse, I use the same method but step on the wings and pull slowly on the leg's, it's a slick, clean, fast way to do them. I just thought the other part of the video " shooting from a road", "running with a gun", "shooting twords your hunting partner" was not something I would want my face attached to on the net or related to in any way. AKMarmot made a valid point also about "teaching" new hunters the correct way and the wrong way to hunt.

Once again, wasin't trying to slam ya.

No slammin' takin', Buddy....just didin't figure the way they were takin' the birds would raise a few neck hairs despite their their methods. I got to readin' back in the AKF&G regs and can't seem to find anything regardin' such trails or roads being applicable to the regs. Which states "constructed road etc."... I've been learnin' how the rules apply up here in AK and they are tons different than the lot held down in the lower 48 states. Either way, the method was worth sharin' and thanks for your personal insight.

No offense taken by anybody, I'm sure. Red flags went up in my head too though ...shooting from and across the road (several hundred dollars a shell!) and right after "There's another one!" and a shot ...the camera clearly shows that he was shooting right towards a friend only 20 yards away. Was that Cheney with the shotgun (haha)? I'm surprised that the guys, obviously experienced with grouse, published a video like that... but the bird cleaning was good and I'm a-gettin' hungry! Ornery hungry!

Thanks!

Brian

No slammin' takin', Buddy....just didin't figure the way they were takin' the birds would raise a few neck hairs despite their their methods. I got to readin' back in the AKF&G regs and can't seem to find anything regardin' such trails or roads being applicable to the regs. Which states "constructed road etc."... I've been learnin' how the rules apply up here in AK and they are tons different than the lot held down in the lower 48 states. Either way, the method was worth sharin' and thanks for your personal insight.
    I always figured that 'constructed roads' meant something made with at least a grader, not something made by driving over bare land with a 4-wheeler or other vehicle.

Did you guys know that you're supposed to be 1/4 mile off the road before you can legally shoot? It can't be found in the printed regs but should be. I found out by calling the AKF&G and asking what the rule was. I waited a couple of days and called again, speaking to a different person this time. Same story. One quarter of a mile. Pretty interesting since most people just go 50 feet or so and are careful not to shoot across the road behind them... that's something that you can get busted for if you find an official with a burr under his/her saddle... Good to know. At least you are just responsible for only killing legal game and they don't care what time of day you shoot. There aren't any shooting hours (except for water fowl.) It's "Can see to Can't see."

Brian

I've been less than a 1/4 mile from a road and had ADF&G check my harvest tag while standing over a moose gut pile, but maybe they did not classify the trail my truck was on a road. I'd guess if it is not in a regulation they would have a hard time in court saying: "It is not in the reg but you should be 1/4 a mile from the road". Oh well, maybe it is in there somewhere just passing on my opinion which is not worth much. But I do believe a set of ATV or pickup ruts on the ground is not a road or drivable surface or what ever they call it.

Getting away from the topic of the thread I do appreciate the bird preparation video and hope to try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I've been less than a 1/4 mile from a road and had ADF&G check my harvest tag while standing over a moose gut pile, but maybe they did not classify the trail my truck was on a road. I'd guess if it is not in a regulation they would have a hard time in court saying: "It is not in the reg but you should be 1/4 a mile from the road". Oh well, maybe it is in there somewhere just passing on my opinion which is not worth much. But I do believe a set of ATV or pickup ruts on the ground is not a road or drivable surface or what ever they call it.

Getting away from the topic of the thread I do appreciate the bird preparation video and hope to try it soon.
    It is in the regulations ...it was left out due to an oversight. It'll likely be in there next year (they said.) Your AKFG guy was probably more concerned, rightfully so, about regular roads not back-country dirt roads. I always figured the Law should enforce safety and that if safety is not a concern in the given circumstances, then why ticket? The dirt road is a great example of that and it sounds like the guy did the right thing.

Brian

who cares the video was good you guys nit pick every little thing

hey TB........everywhere Ive ever hunted stated the same......1/4 off the road and from an occupied dwelling.Never seen it here in the regs and I have had the Game Warden on a couple of occasions and once a StateTrooper check me while with-in that 1/4 mile.And one of them said as long as we stepped off the road we where legal.....just dont shoot from,on or across it is all he said.Daniel
    Well its that time of the year and I added a few more pictures to my Baiting page, so I figured ya'll would like to take a look.You savvy?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp?albumid=469

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    hey TB........everywhere Ive ever hunted stated the same......1/4 off the road and from an occupied dwelling.Never seen it here in the regs and I have had the Game Warden on a couple of occasions and once a StateTrooper check me while with-in that 1/4 mile.And one of them said as long as we stepped off the road we where legal.....just dont shoot from,on or across it is all he said.Daniel
    When I called the AKFG, their first answer was "You can't shoot from or across a road." Then I told them that I moved here from Oregon and in Oregon the rule was also that you had to be 50 feet off the road ...and asked how far off here in Alaska? She said 'just a minute' and went to find out. That's when she told me 1/4 mile. On the second phone call the knew the answer right off. Either way, I got the impression that the primary concern was the 'across or from' part of the law.

Brian