Prince of Wales in August
I backpacked and fly-fished my way through Alaska for 6 weeks a few years back and had the time of my life. Prince of Wales Island was one of the highlights and this summer I'm going back there from August 7 through 19. I was there in July last time so I'm looking for any information on the island that time of year. Here are some questions in no particular order. Anyone with local knowledge who would prefer to email me directly, please do so at email@example.com. If you're actually on prince of wales island and can offer some good info I'll bring you a case of home brewed beer when I'm on the island this summer!.
1) Is there much of a gap between the summer and fall coho runs? How's that timing in general for coho on the fly? I remember some fine summer cohos on the north end in July, but I'm not sure what to expect in August.
2) What waters are my best bets for sockeyes that time of year? Again, there were sockeyes in the Sarkar when I was there before, but I'm not sure what to expect this time, and since I have less time on this trip, I'm not going to be quite as leisurely as last time.
3) Can I access the Karta river trail by land? Somewebsites refer to an unmarked overland access trail, and with all the logging roads I wouldn't be surprised. Any hints would be great.
4) Anyone know of a place to rent a canoe or a skiff on POW in case the silvers are just off shore?
5) Any general suggestions would be great. What would you do if you were going to be on POW when I'm going to be there? I'm young, a strong hiker, on a tight budget and looking for the best flyfishing I can find.
Thanks so much for your help and please feel free to email me.
Last edited by transcribe100; 07-06-2006 at 14:16.