Thread: First sheep attempt...

Default First sheep attempt...

well, i went up pioneer peak today, got on 8 rams none legal, one was iffy, so i watched him for a while, way short of full, broomed on one side and maybe broomed on the other, probably legal by age, very heavy rams 220 yards they finally got tired of me fartin' around up there, fog and rain coming and going so i couldn't ever get the look i wanted let them walk and headed back down.
    For those of you who've hiked up the north face of that mountain, you need a freakin' merit badge, i didn't know they grew devils club quite like that, i was walking under the canopy of it most of the time, the blow down spruce about killed me coming out, and i ended up being thankfull i didn't shoot that sheep, being alone i woudlnt' never got outa there with a load on.

Talked with the bio at palmer office and described the sheep to him and he said it sound like a double broom....if i see him again i'll head back up, but only if i take a buddy!! so first try down the drain, hopefully next try will be when its dry....really dry...did i mention dry?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Ahhhh!

Kill that ram, he sounds legal...but make sure before you do. You'd a found a way off that mountain with your sheep if you had to. Know a guy who got a 38 off the north face on the 17th. Hope you get another chance.

boy I wish I was there to help ya!!! gl

the 17th???? dang him, he's the one that set off the herd then i'd guess. there was 20+ rams in one herd running the mountian and now they act like they've been screwed with, that might be why. I'm pretty sure he was legal but like say, need a better look and the fog just wouldnt' give it to me, i was close enough 220 yards to lookie and shootie but things just didn't pan out. Now that i've done it i know how i'd come back down....you wanna make a run up there with me fullcurl, next week? well..i don't run i've got short legs.
    Seen a pile of sheep on the west side of the mt. the goat creek side, but access into there requires a little more than just a day trip.
    Master guide 212

Default Pioneer Run

Jake-
    Ya, I might be up for a day run up the north face. Give me a call, we'll talk. It's been less than two weeks and I could use another "fix." I bet the shooter on the 17th buggered it up for you. That's the nature of these Chugach hunts. Sure is a lot of pressure for a limited draw hunt. He said he got his out of a group of 8 if I remember right. Saw some rams on the goat creek side too when I was heading into Hunter.

Smile it will be worth it.

all that climbing sucks until you score. and when you do oh how good it feels. I guess that is why sheep hunting rules.

ya i've guided quiet a few sheep hunters, just never shot a ram for myself, taken two ewes but this is my first ram tag..spotted five more rams today, different spot, if the weather changes....i'm outa here again!
    Master guide 212

Don't knock no rocks loose when yer up top. My house is in an avalanche chute on the north side of pioneer

lol dws if i do, i'll scratch a note on it so you know who dun it!
    Master guide 212

Jake...why aren't you up Twin Peaks right now? It's beautiful out there!

i was up there, seven sub legal rams and thats it, all back in just past the lake, went over and took a look at what was in the closed area, not even a legal ram in there either, one young ram and about 15 ewes/little guys and that was it. found a pile of sheep but i've gotta see when i can get a run up at them again...depends on my babysitters...lol
    Master guide 212