Thread: Safety Alert!!

Default Safety Alert!!

Last fall, I posted a Safety Alert for boaters. The information is still very valid, so I'll dig it up and post it again.

Right now, the Coast Guard is engaged in two different searches for missing boaters. There has been one life lost confirmed and three other persons unaccounted for. Unfortunately, the on scene weather is very poor in both search locations and the chances of finding the persons alive grows slimmer by the minute. Watch the news for updates.

Please be safe out there, wear your lifejacket, watch the weather and use your head! Come home safe, there's not a critter or fish worth loosing your life over. Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the info

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Safe Boat

I just spent 2 weeks with my buddy from Homer who volunteers on the Safe Boat there. It sounds like there is quite a program in several coastal communities with the Safe Boats and volunteers willing to spend their time on the water to help people out.
    He did say that there is a limit to what they can do to help folks, and that there is a commercial business that tows or provides support for people too.
    This may have all come up before, but if anybody knows more about the program, what it entails, where it is active, how to volunteer, etc it may be worthwhile to reiterate again.
    I know my friend spent a lot of time out due to limited availability of volunteers.

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary

AK River Rat:

The Safe Boat program you're referring to is really quite remarkable; the Coast Guard bought three of these boats for the Auxiliary to operate. They are in Homer, Seward and Whittier. A fourth boat is scheduled to be in Petersburg next spring. This program started back in 2000 with the first Safe Boat that was put in Whittier. The Coast Guard Auxiliary operates the boats for search and rescue; the Homer boat has done some pretty remarkable rescues in the short time it's been there and the volunteers who run it are equally remarkable. They are trained and equipped to Coast Guard standards; they can do anything a regular Coastie does except law enforcement. You can check out the District 17 Auxiliary at: http://a170.uscgaux.info/ There are 14 flotillas in Alaska: Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Petersburg, Homer, Kenai, Kodiak, Whittier, Seward, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Eagle River, Mat-Su and Valdez. About 450 volunteers do thousands of hours of volunteer work every year including Search and Rescue, Vessel Safety Checks, Public Education (classes) and Coast Guard support missions. They use their personal boats as well as the Safe Boats and have a JetSki program. Check out the photo album (if you can't get to it online as a visitor, try the members tab). The Coast Guard Auxiliary is probably the best kept secret in Alaska, it's truly remarkable what this small group of dedicated volunteers do for the boating public and for no pay and very little recognition!

I'd be interested to see how many forum readers have had contact with the Auxiliary and their opinions of the Auxiliary. Thanks! Mike

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the CGaux Our whole family went through the 1 day America's Boating Course this spring. Then we had a safety inspection done.

My kids really like wearing their life jackets by the Aux caboose in Whittier while I'm parking the trailer or retrieving it, and getting coupons for ice cream

Default class

I took a class years ago from the Auxillary. I was looking to get my 6 pack license and needed more training. Some of the folks were pretty old, and my first thougts were not optimistic about their ability to teach and share info. I could not have been more wrong. A great class, good info, from people who are experienced and care about doing a good job.
    I am sure those folks already in the program in the coastal communities could use more help. Volunteering is a whole lot easier and painless than people think.

Joined the auxilary just under a year ago. I think it's an amazing organization and I have learned an incredible about from this group of people. I was able to take part in the SARX this June in Seward and work around the helos. This winter I will be working on my boat crew certification and also two other certifications to help with container inspections and pollution investigations. The time I volunteer frees up active duty Coast Guard men and women to do other missions. I encourage everyone that enjoys boating to join this organization. Alaska is the only state that membership numbers didn't decline but increased this past year.