Thread: Winter boat storage?

Question Winter boat storage?

ok guys, dupont spinner and I have been trying to figure out how to store my boat for the winter. I have looked at the shelters from shelter logic and like them alot, but the shipping to AK is completely rediculous, even with my discount. I am working on my property, and eventually will put a shed type structure down on the back of my property once I get enought fill back there. So what I would like is something that I could eventually move without a huge amount of difficulty. I don't like those shelters costco sells, cause every one I have seen, seems to come apart about half way through winter. it needs to be 12'wide x 10'tall x 28'long. I may just shrink wrap it this winter, and see what next yr brings! Anybody got any other suggestions?

I'm looking at the shrink wrap option myself, unless I can get Buster's to make me a canvas cover for the back of the boat (and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg). . .

On another note, I'm looking at storing mine at the Fairgrounds this year (I'm on the waiting list). The Fire Marshall is requiring fuel tanks to be no more than 1/4 full - given the propensity for condensation, and comments?

Cheers,

SH

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    ok guys, dupont spinner and I have been trying to figure out how to store my boat for the winter. I have looked at the shelters from shelter logic and like them alot, but the shipping to AK is completely rediculous, even with my discount. I am working on my property, and eventually will put a shed type structure down on the back of my property once I get enought fill back there. So what I would like is something that I could eventually move without a huge amount of difficulty. I don't like those shelters costco sells, cause every one I have seen, seems to come apart about half way through winter. it needs to be 12'wide x 10'tall x 28'long. I may just shrink wrap it this winter, and see what next yr brings! Anybody got any other suggestions?
    AI Ouch (AIH) sells a shelter similar to the Costco ones, but larger, more $$ & a little better built. I have a Costco tent that is 6 years old & is holding up very well ~ because of the lightweight tubing that they use for frames, you really have to keep the snow load off the roof if you want them to last. If you have alot of $$, you could always buy a weatherport from the guys on Brayton Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    I'm looking at the shrink wrap option myself, unless I can get Buster's to make me a canvas cover for the back of the boat (and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg). . .

On another note, I'm looking at storing mine at the Fairgrounds this year (I'm on the waiting list). The Fire Marshall is requiring fuel tanks to be no more than 1/4 full - given the propensity for condensation, and comments?

Cheers,

SH
    As far as condensation just make sure you do not leave there long once the weather starts to warm up. Get it out and home, fill it up with some additive.

The other option would be to completely empty the tank and leave open. Either leave the sender out or some other big port.

Removing a large opening in the tank would also allow you to see how much water you already have.....

TBLOOMA,
    I may have room???????Just may need to do some measuring. I think the most we would have to do is take the tongue off the trailer. For heated winter storage...I have a special price just for you. Call me and I will tell you my idea.

Here's what i do for my rig, made the frame out of 1"pvc pipe. The netting holds down the tarp when its blowing hard out here in the valley. I open all the hatches to let air into all the nooks & crannies, she dries out like a popcorn fart every winter.
    P9290002.JPG
    P9290005.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Smile nice idea pot builder!

pot builder, I like that idea!!! looks like it would work. How does it hold up with the snow load, or is it windy enough to keep the snow off? Where did ya get all that netting? that looks like 1" PVC? do you just take a long piece of pvc and bend it up and over and back down to the rail? I would like to learn more about this system of yours!!!! I also got to see what dupont spinner has in mind also!!
    Thanks all for the help!

TB
    It does work, i've used this system for about 8 years now. Its usualy windy enough and dry snow that it mostly all blows off but the times it has dumped a lot of snow on it i've just gone inside and pushed up on the tarp with a broom and it all slides off. I commercial fish for a living (besides building shrimp pots) so i can get all the web/netting i need.
    P9290003.JPG
    I used a 2x6 for a ridgepole & i drilled holes thru it so the 1"pvc pipe to slide thru & just bend it down to the gunnel
    P9290004.JPG
    I use a 2x4 down each gunnel & to hold the pipe in place i drilled pocket holes(flat bottom), with a fostner bit, about 3/4" deep and i pin each pipe in with a drywall screw.
    I'll post a pic with some snow on it in another thread.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here's one with some snow on the boat
    12345snowboat.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Shrink wrap cost

Does anyone have an idea what it costs to shrink wrap a boat? I noticed there a place off from the seward hwy that does it but I have not called to get a quote yet. I've got a 16' Lowe flat bottom that I will be towing back to the lower 48 in Feburary and figured that would be the way to go.....

Steve,
    Nice looking set up. I was contmplating doing something similar. I didn't think about using netting. Where I live in North Pole it doesn't get very windy, but the netting looks like it would help add some stability to the entire project. Where did you locate the netting? Is it a regular weight tarp or something heavy duty?
    Thanks, Rob
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

Rob,
    My commercial fishing buddies kid me about my scrounging abilities , the web came from the net dump in Cordova. The web doesn't add any strength to the whole thing all it does is hold the web down when its blowing a gale around here. You might be able to find some web around the Valdez area if you ask around, maybe even look in the town dump. The tarp is just a regular weight chepo, the only problem i have is the knots from the web rub/chafe thru the tarp every 2 years, so it gets full of pinholes and i just dump it and go get another cheap one. In my opinion it sure beats a shrink wrap job, lots of room inside to do boat work and lots of air to dry things out. You could use antifreeze or Delo oil jugs filled with gravel to hold down the tarp instead of the webbing if you don't have a wind problem.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

There is a place out on the Birchwood loop that repairs nets or commericial fishes or something. I have seen piles of nets sitting there. May try giving them a shot.

Thanks Guys. My boat has a full canopy (only the half is shown in the avitar. Do you see any problems with just laying a tarp over the canopy and lashing it down to the trailer? I was thinking of just laying some of the foam tubes you insulate pipe with to keep the tarp off the canopy's fabric and create an air space to prevent mold or mosture. Actually, it will probably be too cold for mold... I also plan on working inside the canopy to clean and upgrade the interior. I figure a kerosene space heater should warm it up nicely for a while. If only I had more money and free time... LOL Thanks, Rob
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

As long as you keep the snow off it will be fine. Especially the wet spring snow.

That's the debate with TBLOOMA as he spends some time away during the winter.

The guys that shrink wrap put a good slope in their wrap to help shed the snow. They usually build a wood frame to hold a string line to provide the peak.

Smile thanks guys!

Pot builder! thanks for the pics, huge help, if i go that route!

Rob. If you talk to busters, they say those support hoops on our boat tops are not designed to suport ANY snow. They also say snow "tears up the fabric" Not sure how, but hey they are the experts. I grew up in Maine, where there are alot of fisherman, and alot of boats. I'd be rich if I had a dime for every boat top I saw collapsed from snow. The popular thing back there is shrink wrap, or along the same lines as pot builder, with a 2x4 or 2x6 as a ridge pole, something that can handle some weight. That snow can get heavy!!! I too have the full camper top all the way back, and it will most likely be taken off and stored in a heated environment. Don't forget don't fold the clear plastic parts of the top, ROLL them!!!
    just winterized the boat last weekend, and put a fresh coat of paint on the snowmachine trailer. The swap will happen soon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    Does anyone have an idea what it costs to shrink wrap a boat? I noticed there a place off from the seward hwy that does it but I have not called to get a quote yet. I've got a 16' Lowe flat bottom that I will be towing back to the lower 48 in Feburary and figured that would be the way to go.....
    I had my old boat done last year - $20 per foot was the cost to have it done in Seward. For a 20' boat, it was $400. I'm having Buster's make me a slant back snap on canvas cover this year - cost is $575.

Best,

SH

I just tarp it. and once or twice a winter I go there and remove the snow. Cheaper then wrapping it. And it works just as good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK