Thread: Technique for Grayling on the flyrod ???

Default Technique for Grayling on the flyrod ???

I will be heading from Nome out to Council to fish the Niukluk River this week. I have a bunch of dry flies ( humpies, royal wolff, mosquitoe, black nat, etc..) but have no experience with catching Grayling. This is supposed to be a fabulous river for Grayling and I wanted to ask how to fish for them. I am relatively new to fly fishing, so any help would be appreciated. I have a 4 wt and 6 wt system and plenty of patience. Just no experience.

I wouldn't even take the 6 wt for grayling, the 4 will handle them just fine. I like to stalk them along them river, kind of like sight fishing for brook trout. Don't let them see you along the bank and fish the deep holes and swift water. If you look hard enough and if they are in there you will see a white spot on their tail but you gotta be watching close. I think all the flies you mentioned will work just fine along with a few beadheads, toss them out and jerk your line in with your hand but make sure the flies are small, grayling have small mouths and are very delicate but voracious feeders, you will enjoy fishing for them. Good luck!

Grayling on dry flies is an awesome pursuit, but I find that sometimes I have to tie on a split shot or a sink tip line in the really deep holes. A month ago I was fishing the Tanalian River in Port Alsworth and had to use a weight to get down to the grayling. I was tossing dry flies with no action for 30 minutes, but when I put on a split shot I got 4 hits in 5 casts. Although grayling are notorious for not being picky, it still pays to be adaptable. Good luck, and post some pics on your return!

-Brian

Default a "dropper"

I don't know if you are familiar with this technique but when I was seriously after grayling I would tie a nymph of some sort on to the main leader and then tie a 6-8" "dropper" line from the knot where the leader meets the fly line. On this "dropper" line I would tie on a dry fly. I can't tell you how many times I was able to hook two fish at the same time! A lot of times I would be concentrating on fishing the nymph and see a grayling come completely out of the water after the dropper fly that was 1' above the water. You need to check the regs for the area you are in, but it used to not be a problem with this set up. It is a load of fun too!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Bead-head Nymphs

Ribbed Hare's Ear or Zugbug in size 14. If they're there its almost a fish a cast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PS4 Grayling2.JPG  

Default 2 weight

This guy was caught on a 2 weight on a pin hed muddler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0453.JPG  

Zug bug by far is my favorite for grayling. 14-20 size I would work with.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK