Thread: PWS deer hunt cost

Question PWS deer hunt cost

Curious what is the cheapest route for a 4 person PWS blacktail hunt. Just got the wife into shooting and would like to start on a fairly easy hunt. We don't have a boat, we are AK residents. I don't realy need an all inclusive guide package as I can clean my own deer. But any information is appreciated!
    Maybe boat rental, or if someone on the board wants to spend a couple of days on the sound burning someone elses gas.
    Oh well only tonight and tomorrow left for moose so I am heading out to the family spot, my Cousin spotted a 60" out their last week so maybe there is hope still.

Its $850 each to fly with Natron Air out of the Soldotna airport. You can rent a public cabin for $35 a night. If you had one you could bring a rubber raft and small outboard for mobility. Otherwise I've heard about $300/day per person to charter a boat and eat/sleep on the boat-unguided. Guided I saw an advertisment, don't remember who, for $2,300 each for 5 days. Hope this helps.

Tim

Clarification: Its $850 to fly to Montague Island. The guys from Valdez may know of some cheaper charters into PWS.

Tim

Default None

There are no flight charters out of Valdez. Only boat based hunts and I have never been on one so don't know the price.

No boat rental this time of year either. You can't take a small rental boat from here to Montauge. Too rough, too nasty and too dangerous. Northern Comfort Charters may still be doing hunts. Other one I knew quit because of insurance costs.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default You might try...

Lazy Otter out of Whittier. Several years ago he dropped us off in PWS in November. We did not hunt out of the boat, he just dropped us off. Good service- 244-0654 cell, 694 6887 ofc/home. Sorry I don't remember the actual cost, but it has probably changed anyway since fuel costs a lot more now...

Figure $1000 a person. That'll cover a boat to take you out and back, cabin rental (they're likely all booked up this year) food and fuel. I can recomend Sound Eco Adventures out of Whittier. The hunts can be quite physical, and the weather can be nasty, so I wouldn't consider it an easy hunt.

You'll also find having a small inflatable with an outboard will greatly aid your success by being able to get some distance from the cabins.

Even if you could find a boat rent, I'd be hesitant to take a boat out you don't know in presumeably waters you don't know. Things can get real bad real fast out in the sound, and you'll have to head out a ways to get into decent deer populations.