Thread: The Hot Bead For this upcoming weekend on the KENAI! 9-19

Default The Hot Bead For this upcoming weekend on the KENAI! 9-19

Was wondering if anybody have fished the upper and had some info on what has been working. ive been fishing it for trout every sunday since jul 25, and have noticed that it went from red to orange. last week i was using a milky orange 6 mm and i had alot of success with trout and dollies. it seems when i use a red bead i hit more dollies and with orange beads ive hit more trout. was just wondering others insight on the topic for this sunday?! Thanks

Ill be on the river sunday through the saturday enjoying some great fishing and hopefully some not so bad weather. I have had much luck on 6mm orange but with looks like sherbert. we call it peaches and cream and also last week the champange and cream worked well. the both hooked alot of fish for us last weekend but as far as the up coming week. Ill start with peaches and cream and put my other half on something else and see what we can find out. Also alot of the guys are real nice on the river and will share info so i will ask around. Good luck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default how?

do you just rig those beads with a small hook tied underneath them or?????

Default tooth pick or knot

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    do you just rig those beads with a small hook tied underneath them or?????
    Most guys use tooth picks to keep them from sliding. I tend to use a knot because they wont slip that way. Be sure and keep the beed 2 inches above the hook to prevent deep hooking the fish. Fish tend to inhale eggs.

I'd go with dead egg or something like that, or flesh flies. The reason you catch more dollies on red eggs is because dollies just like red things and are hitting them them out of aggression as they begin their spawning runs, rainbows are also much more selective so you won't catch as many of them on something that doesn't look like what they eat.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default well

so with your basic orange bead, would you use white fingernail polish , and would you do a swirl or would you do just a standard dot?

Stop by Troutfitters before you launch, they will get you dialed in.

Default Question

So how are the beads rigged? I pic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Nevermind I found this Googling ;-)

When the salmon are spawning, "beading" is a very popular and successful technique. Simply slide the bead on the leader above the hook and use a toothpick to hold it in place. Regulations say that the bead, if fixed to the line, must be 2" or less from the hook. Then cast the bead with a splitshot for weight at 18" or so, upstream and drift along bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Two inches...or less, ideally

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Most guys use tooth picks to keep them from sliding. I tend to use a knot because they wont slip that way. Be sure and keep the beed 2 inches above the hook to prevent deep hooking the fish. Fish tend to inhale eggs.

Some fish are indeed hookshy but generally keep your hooks within two inches (I prefer 1.5...but that's me) and despite the myth that rules, a properly pegged hook with a 8 or 10 sized hook is the least lethal rig I have used in AK, it tends to floss em with the hook up more than gut em.

Pegging more than 2 inches can tend to leave hooks in eyes and gillplates which is no fun for anyone involved.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    so with your basic orange bead, would you use white fingernail polish , and would you do a swirl or would you do just a standard dot?
    I'd just not buy a basic orange bead... I do pretty good and have never painted my beads.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    So how are the beads rigged? I pic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Method one (non fly fishing only waters, multi hook waters): Put bead on leader, tie on hook, if desired tie on dropper usually a size 14 prince nymph or something like that. Use splitshot as needed to keep bead on the same leval as the fish, usually 6-8 inches up

Method two (fly fishing only waters): Melt bead to hook, use weights 18 inches up use a longer leader so the bead can actually get down (or no weight at all).

Method three (single hook waters): Put bead on line, tie on weighted nymph (sz. 14 or smaller though) or egg pattern, jam toothpick into bead, trim toothpick so that none of it is sticking out of the bead. Fix bead 1-2 inches in front of fly. If the fish is hooked inside the mouth it took the fly if it is hooked outside the mouth it took the bead.

Method four (waste of time): same as method 3 except with a bare hook.

Method five, use dry flies in august instead

-AKPM

Default dry flies on the kenai

can you even have alot of success using a dry fly on the kenai?