Thread: Halibut question (Juneau area)

Default Halibut question (Juneau area)

In the Juneau area does anyone know if it's still worth trying to catch a butt in close or in any kind of shallow water? Have they already moved out of reach for a guy with his small boat?

Default I would give it shot

I would give it a shot, I've done well on halibut till the end of sept down in Petersburg, I'd even say some of my best days were late in the season like this. There's still dead pink rolling out of the creeks so I would try fishing some creek mouths. Halibut like to hang out and suck up the spawned out fish rolling down to the depths.

Default They Are Still There...

...And so are a lot of scrap fish that you have to sort through between halibut. The weather hasn't been very cooperative, but guys I know have snuck out and gotten some and told me they didn't get any deeper than 80 feet. (An indication - one of them snagged a dungie in a claw joint!)

This year I've stayed out in the 30 to 50 fathom range and have done reasonably well when I can get out as long as I can stay away from the ****ed tanner crab. Every year is a little different, but in recent years I've caught flat ones right up until I pull the boat in mid-October. Hang in there.