Thread: Juneau bkack bear

Default Juneau bkack bear

Anyone from Juneau know if the blackies are still around the creeks, and normal summer hangouts? I was just in Haines, and all you can find are brown bear. Ran into 12 of them in just a few days. Everytime you turn around your running into a brown bear. Ive never seen anything like it. Someone said they saw some blackies way up high above tree line eating berries. If anyone knows where the black bear are in Juneau please let me know. Thanx

just shoving my thread back to the top in hopes of some answers

I know you know where some berry eaters are!

There are also those stinky ones out the road.

I might end up taking a mountain blackie this fall given the deer situation.

LungShot - Send me a PM, both me and my buddie limited on blackies this spring - I'm pretty sure I could get ya on a bear

lol... I run into them all over the place. Just never shot at them cause the need/desire wasn't there.

That area we were in yesterday (with all the bear sign) had a big fattie in it last year at this time.

He ran a few feet and stopped... then ran some more and stopped...he was deciding between burning calories and getting shot by a deer hunter. lol. This year, he might want to run a bit farther!

LungShot - Some places I'd try (requires decent optics) Out Thane - Glass the mountain sides than hike up from the road to them - We usually glassed from Douglas Harbor...

Kowee Creek of course....Usually in the evening....The clear cut out there (though its private property)

Granite Creek basin behind the visitors center.....

Also, Eaglecrest valley - Glass mountains and alpine.....and Fish creek - Hike up the creek...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    LungShot - Some places I'd try (requires decent optics) Out Thane - Glass the mountain sides than hike up from the road to them - We usually glassed from Douglas Harbor...

Kowee Creek of course....Usually in the evening....The clear cut out there (though its private property)

Granite Creek basin behind the visitors center.....

Also, Eaglecrest valley - Glass mountains and alpine.....and Fish creek - Hike up the creek...
    Thane is a possible ... but nowhere near Sheep Creek! Salisbury has tons of berry bears.

Kowee is a NO FRIGGING WAY! I wouldn't eat that meat in any season.

Granite Creek is a no way...excepting starvation.

Eaglecrest is worth a harvest.

Kid, we're not talking about knocking over a bear here. We're talking about supplenting the deer population in my freezer!

If I am caught between hunting a Kowee Creek stink bear and hunting the local grocer's meat department, I am going to surrender to the latter.

well...LungShot never said if he was hunting hide or meat - Either way I supplied him several locations for both :P

someone should knock off that big bear at the glacier that I watch the idiot tour guides corner yesterday... Pretty bear I think his name is "Patches"
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Apline

I've seen bears almost all my trips to the alpine this year. Saw a really nice chocolate the last day of august I was kinda sad it wasn't Sept yet.

I've seen way more color phase bears than normal this year...

I've only seen 2 or 3 bears that werent color phases...

between me and my non-res buddy we got 3 bears in the spring. 2 big chocolate boars from out @ Kowee, and 1 really big regular boar out Thane...

LOL! My bad... I thought you were him and he was you. I couldn't figure out why you were telling me where bears are. LOL!!

OneLung - LungShot - all too confusing for me! lol.