Thread: Snowmachine advice needed

Default Snowmachine advice needed

Howdy, I am looking at getting my first snowmachine this fall. I am looking for something for breaking trails, trapping, ice fishing remote lakes, etc. Not a speed machine. Most people I have talked to recommend the Ski-Doo Skandic. Anyone have expierience with this machine. Also is the Polaris Trail RMK on par w/ the skandic, tundra, bravo type machines?

Thanks

Default snowmachine

I was also looking for the same thing and settled on the ski-doo tundra longtrack with the 550 fan because I plan on using it in the mountains also, If your planning on sticking to the flatlands then the skandic widetrack would be a good choice and I know quite a few trappers who use them. I would stick with the 550 fan though for extended stays in the bush.

The Trail RMK550 works great, lightweight and decent power, but would lack in the deep stuff in needed. Make sure it is an '04 or newer though. Only problem with Skandic's is that the parts are pricey!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Ah, the old debate. I went through the same questions last winter. I got my machine this summer so I can tell you if the advice I got was good or not. However I can tell you that all of the oldtimers that live remote while they trap seemed to use scandics, mainly because how simple they are. There are some good debates about this on this forum and others too. One good resource I used was dootalk.com. They are all doo heads, but as I read through it I noticed that most of these guys use their machines hard and know them inside and out.

The two reasons I went with my Tundra is:

1. Price, I got a smoking deal

2. As far as I know there is no messing around with Jetting the carb. They just run. But mostly it was the price.

Keep in mind Im a newbie to snowmachines, and I don't want to start a brand war. I just gathered this info from my experience.

Default tundra

I have 94 tundra. Can't go wrong great little machine. The scandic is heavier though, but if you want the 550, then you have to go with the skandic. are you riding double or just a single rider? if just a single rider, you will be very happy with a tundra

Default Snowmachine

Thanks for the help guys. I think Ive narrowed it down to either a used skandic/tundra or a new Bravo. If I cant find a good used machine in a couple of weeks, going to get a new Bravo. The Bravo's are priced right for a new machine. Ive heard some good talk about them from the archives here and others. I think it will fit my needs, but still evaluating what my needs are. Just know I dont like to get stuck. I am more of a jeep guy vs a corvette guy. Any other thoughts welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

I think the bravo is a good choice. One of the things I liked about the bravo was the "back up fuel tank".

I think you are on the right track with a smaller sled such as the bravo, or Tundra. Especially if you ride alone. I can honestly say that it can be very hard to get unstuck by yourself. It can be done, but it nice to be able to muscle the sled around if you get in a tough spot.

TomM,

You might want to check out Compeaus in Fairbanks right now. They are having one heck of a sale on sleds if your still in the market.

http://www.compeaus.com/deals.html

Default New Machine

Picked up a used Skandic 500 over the weekend. Cant wait for snow now! In the process of going over the whole thing now. Want to be able to fix it, if it breaks out on the trail. Thanks again for the help fellas.

What year and model Skandic did you get?

Default Skandic

Its a 97 500F. That about all I know. I dont know when they started the WT, SWT, SUV designators. If it was prior to my sled, I dont know what it is.

First Skandic WT was in 95. Sounds like yours is the regular track (15x136) model. Those are very popular around here. Great all around sled. Too bad they quit making it and went to the newer fancy chassis. The new machines just don't have all the little cubby holes in their sleak bodies to stash stuff like the older ones. Where did you find it?

Tom get a Snow Bunjee and a SnowJacker. Since your going the utility sled route you can bolt accessories to your sled for easy access. The SJ works like a handyman jack. It comes with mounting clips for the tunnel--a real back saver if you ever get trenched. (when you get trenched). Most guys lay the bunjee on the floor of the engine compartment along with a tow strap or length of rope.

Carry a collapsible avalanche type shovel and get a windshield bag. When you ride carry a Tee-handle saw like a game saw for when you get hung in the willows. Cutting your way out is FAR less work than digging.

Think snow and enjoy your "new" machine

I own two Skandics and one old Tundra. They're all maytags that just keep running. The great thing about the Tundra is if you do get it stuck, it weighs about half what a larger sled does. If you get a Skandic, go for the wide track or Super wide track for much better flotation.

BLT

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    I was also looking for the same thing and settled on the ski-doo tundra longtrack with the 550 fan because I plan on using it in the mountains also, If your planning on sticking to the flatlands then the skandic widetrack would be a good choice and I know quite a few trappers who use them. I would stick with the 550 fan though for extended stays in the bush.

Chicken, can you tell me more about your LT? I'm considering a Tundra LT for work and play. But, my friends tell me that they'll smoke me come play time (Vmax's, Skidoo GTX's etc...). So, what's the Tundra LT top out at? The newer Tundra's sure look sporty to be just work horses.

Basically, I need a machine that'll do the job when I rebuild my remote cabin, and will be up to snuff to play as well. I'd really like to keep from having two machines.

Anyone else got any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Ken

Default my 2 cents

Well, for what it's worth, I looked hard at the Scandic's for many of the same reason but also evaluated Polaris wide track, Artic Cat Bear Cat and the Yamaha VK Pro. No doubt the Scandic's have been around and have a good name, Artic Cat's seem to be making a come back and the Polaris wide track is always a good choice, but I ended up choosing the VK Pro for a few reasons. One big one is the engine, ie. 120HP and a 4 stroke. Yamaha has been good with outboards and ATV's which I own both and have no issues what so ever.

So bottom line, I think they are all good sleds in there own right, it's which one appeals most to you, select it and buy it. Good luck.. Tony